Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

:grpg:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am quite enthusiastic about the game (enjoyed Origins and I do love ancient Greece as a setting, which is at the same time very underused in RPGs), but I do not like that Alexios and Cassandra play through the same story. It's actually moronic, there were no female mercenaries in the era.

However, despite the patriarchal society of ancient Hellenic world, there were women, who could be independent, travel and have adventures. For example poets like Sappho, famous musicians, priestesses.

I think it would be cool if the story of a mercenary Alexios would actually differ a lot from the story of Cassandra. He would use more brute strength, she would have to engage in subterfuge and only use force when absolutely necessary. They could have different encounters, different ways to solve quests and influence the events. That would be great.

But it's cheaper and less creative to just make Alexios and Cassandra mirror images with different genders. I guess Ubisoft decided not to put too much effort into this. IMO, a lost chance.

typical user

Arbiter
I believe Kassandra is here only because SJW journos were harassing Ubisoft on the subject. The game itself looks like Origins. Can't say more because I didn't play that one. On the side note, why people pirate games like Assassin's Creed? Because they are similiar, if I were to buy Odyssey then I would just download Origins and play it afterwards or not at all and watch the ending on YouTube. Makes you think.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
if anything the one "who's there only because of" would be the male protag. No way a cucked publisher like ubisoft would dare release a new entry in ass creed franchise with another male protag.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Why are the Greeks brown-skinned? Have the sjw quebecois communist fruitcakes squeezing out this annual asscreed turd ever seen Mediterranean people in their lives? They're not Hindus. They don't have Brown skin, and are not PoC.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I do not like that Alexios and Cassandra play through the same story.

This shit drives me nuts because I'd love to play as a strong female character in ancient Greece. Why do developers make these pseudo-historical settings where everyone believes in Scandinavian-style gender equality? Is it just because they're too lazy and stupid to imagine how other cultures might work? Or are they so sexist that they can't imagine that women could make great achievements back then? Instead of actually looking at history to find powerful women to draw inspiration from, they just say what the hell, we'll put titties on our gruff male action hero. Our female ancestors deserve better than to be forgotten like this.

BRB, I gotta take some Gender Studies courses so I can learn how to use terms like "erasure" to describe this.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why are the Greeks brown-skinned? Have the sjw quebecois communist fruitcakes squeezing out this annual asscreed turd ever seen Mediterranean people in their lives? They're not Hindus. They don't have Brown skin, and are not PoC.

Actually, ancient Greeks were divided into several large tribes with different heritage and "color palette", if I may say that.

While Dorians and the Acheans were often fair-skinned and even had blonde hair, the Ionians (who inhabitted Attica, most islands of the Aegean Sea and shores of Asia Minor) were mostly olive-skinned, dark haired and dark eyed. There was ofcourse mixing between tribes, so you could meet people of every group in most regions of ancient Hellas.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
10+EL+MINOTAURO.BMP

Whoa, what a crap. Why do people put so much effort into ruining your image of your most cherished stories and characters?

I almost prefer the Bee Gee-like Ulysses and the blue minotaurs.

5f8ba7fe87e9603d7cce6371949a6617.jpg

And, of course:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I am quite enthusiastic about the game (enjoyed Origins and I do love ancient Greece as a setting, which is at the same time very underused in RPGs), but I do not like that Alexios and Cassandra play through the same story. It's actually moronic, there were no female mercenaries in the era.

However, despite the patriarchal society of ancient Hellenic world, there were women, who could be independent, travel and have adventures. For example poets like Sappho, famous musicians, priestesses.

I think it would be cool if the story of a mercenary Alexios would actually differ a lot from the story of Cassandra. He would use more brute strength, she would have to engage in subterfuge and only use force when absolutely necessary. They could have different encounters, different ways to solve quests and influence the events. That would be great.

But it's cheaper and less creative to just make Alexios and Cassandra mirror images with different genders. I guess Ubisoft decided not to put too much effort into this. IMO, a lost chance.
I think what would be funny is if you pick Cassandra, you get raped, and then the game ends.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Far Cry already has experience points and levels, character builds from choosing your skills and party mechanics due to the companion system.
Call of Duty has the first 2, but not the third.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
tfw your definition of RPG gets so blurry and basically nothing that AssCreed is in general RPG...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think it is worth acknowledging in the world where Bethesda and Bioware are reducing role playing elements in every next iteration of their games, Ubisoft actually keeps adding rp elements to their series...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Or, the more logical and sane alternative, these things are not what makes RPGs RPGs and can just be in any game ever, which they obviously are.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There is no need to agree on anything, I have already established what an RPG is. That's besides the point, though, the point being AssCreed shouldn't be in general RPG and whoever thinks otherwise is wrong and insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom