Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Move to RPG section, please.
:troll:

New Assassin's Creed belongs in the RPG section, new Fallout belongs in General Gaming. What a world.

Infinitron No joke, move it to RPG section. It's as much RPG as Vampyr or Fallout 4. And move Fallout 76 to general, it's not an rpg in slightest.

Jesus, I can't believe that it's true. Next AC is RPG, next Fallout is not.
:negative:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am more excited about the revamped combat system than the decision making dialog wheel.

P.S. you guys can be butthurt if you want to, but one thing is certain, Ubisoft has more balls when it comes to exploring new settings in their games than any other studio, mainstream or indie.

ss_458b7cc7392b6fd073bbd679868fd486013cb474.1920x1080.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
Enjoyed the look of the trailer and then started watching the gameplay demo and there's little icons everywhere and quest points ruining the immersion - can you turn that stuff off?

I'll probably try Origins once it hits the sub $20 bargain bin, and pick this up a year after release too as well as the inevitable next title set in Ancient Rome the year after that. I'm a sucker for the classics but not enough to pay full price to see Ubi's version of it.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Ubisoft is making a RPG, meanwhile Bioware and Bethesda are making online only game with barely any story in it. Times really change, Gul'dan.

Guess my budget for AAA this year goes to the Ubisoft then.

Ash

Arcane
So how is Assassin's Creed these days? Does combat still consist of pressing the awesome button and everyone's dead? Is platforming/parkour still mostly automated? Do you still run around collecting trivial shit that just isn't rewarding? Still everything shown on the map to autist degrees, completely killing exploration? Are missions still simple and repetitive? Is the game still piss-easy? I absolutely loathe this series but It's been a long time and many iterations to the series since I've played an Ass Creed game (what are we on now, Ass Creed 10?) and I'm just wondering if maybe, just maybe the gameplay is slightly better these days...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Combat is actually a bit better even challenging if you attack higher level enemies. Parkour is automated with little gimmicks. Origin had better exploration in terms of loot and secrets but still most of them are shown on map. There are some creative missions and absolutely shit side missions so its meh.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't wait for all the historically accurate black Athenians and stronk female Spartan warriors :incloosive:

Bohr

Arcane
Well the trailer seems to be hitting all the right notes in terms of generating publicity, the arm work was worth the investment :salute:

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What happened, why are most things gay now ?
I feel like taking a quick nap and waking up to a super gay world. I don't have anything against gay people person but, jeez tune it down a bit, what the fuck.

ps : I can't wait for the grand movement of disabled people person representation in video games. Assassin's Creed : Journey with the paraplegic black lesbian from Gaul or something.

Ash

Arcane
Disabled people are usually more sensible/modest/less insane. They'll demand what actually matters: handicap control support, color blindness support, things of that nature. They won't demand that disabled people be more frequently represented in games, nor even give much a fuck if they're fairly/tastefully represented in these works of fiction.

Seriously, what is up with the assault on video games by these feminists, progressives etc? Is it the same in other mediums, I wouldn't know as I don't follow anywhere nearly as as closely. I think at least half of it is NuMales simply mindlessly bandwagoning, or pretending to be a SJW to win favour with nutty women that wouldn't sleep with them regardless.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Wasn't Greece gay as fuck tho?
Yeah it created big demographic problems, they had to rely on immigration to fix the issue, which is also why you'll get to meet Achille, the black hero of the Trojan War.

It was ok to fuck a dude in Rome as well, as long as you were the active mate. I'm pretty sure these practices were even more a thing in the East, but somehow the greeks inherited the reputation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AC Origins: The Greece will be a gigantic fail.

The main reason AC Origins: The Egypt is so boring is they focused on quests and subquests while still going with this plasticky, theme park-like world without a shred of gravitas or C&C. You can't have an RPG in a AC world where you can mow down half the town with your chariot and all these people behave like what they are - bunch of digital pixels. Why should I care about anything that's happening in this paper-thin world?

I've always enjoyed AC the way it's meant to be enjoyed - as a mindless, lightweight romp through a spiffy theme park, killing shit, climbing buildings and collecting pointless crap. Trying to insert more depth or meaning in this structure is fucking silly.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Since you can decide the outcome of the war, I hope it allows you to go (AC: ) Rogue.

jf8350143

Liturgist
This game has dialogue option, branching stories depending on your behaviour and choices, different endings, character progression. It is as much a RPG as Withcer 3, even more than Witcher 3 since you can choose your gender when playing this game.

Whether Witcher 3 really counts as RPG is a whole other story though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom