Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I started AC2 yesterday and after 2 hours Im still doing tutorials. Lack of action in this action game is putting me to sleep a bit. Uplay is a piece of shit.
But I gotta give it to the amount of detail this game has. That city is just freaking amazing to look at, Im not a graphics whore but man I'm impressed by the presentation and the look of the city.

And Im a dumbass for starting installation in swedish, game is apparently localized and everything besides voices is in swedish. Cant change it afterwards and Im too lazy to reinstall.
First time ever Im playing anything in swedish and it feels so uncofortable. Have no problem with subtitles in movies but for games its gonna take a while to get used to, i think.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
AC4 has been out on pc and the russkie trackers for days now. Surprised noone here seems to play it or feels like talking about it. AC2 was the last one I played and enjoyed and it's nice to see some new features in this latest installment. Still, it's all you'd expect from an AC game. Same crappy combat, same often iffy controlls and lots of climbing and freerunning. Seabattles and ship are nice, so is the open world and the somewhat interesting protagonist. It lacks the awesome rennaissance feel of AC2 and while the pirate theme is nice I wish a genuine Pirates! game would've been made instead of another AC.

tl;dr formailic game with some nice piratey stuff.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
As much as people hated Assassin's Creed 1, at least it was a bit challenging (it was actually possible to die too). I hated all the AC games that came after because not a single one of them had any amount of challenge. In most of them it simply wasn't possible to die unless you jumped off a very high building, and even that did not always work.

abija

Prophet
If the humongous amount of RAM in new consoles doesn't translate to larger levels then we're truly doomed.
Enormous? Highest I've seen ghosts on PC was 2.9 video and I think 3.4 system (not 100% sure on system but sure on video since I was surprised it maxed my card without AA). Isn't that already the limit for both xbone and ps4? And I don't recall the levels being anything special at least the few missions I played. The standard affair, couple of interconnected boxes with pretty environments.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
assassins creed 4 is actually kind of alright. the tutorials at least weren't as obnoxious as in the third, which i stopped playing shortly after i reached boston. the retarded metaplot also got a little less stupid, not by much, but ey, every bit helps in that regard.

pissed off about no hats though. pimp hats are an important part of pirate existence, not tardo hoodies.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
One way that this game improves on the previous ones is that you're now playing as a proper cunt, a pirate who's only in it for money and pillage. The "kill everyone you meet" approach to problem solving makes a lot more sense for such a person than for a character who's ostensibly fighting for justice and the protection of humanity and who acts like a nice guy in cutscenes.

I agree about the lack of pirate hats though, and there should be parrots too!

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Watched a few streams of people playing and I gotta say it looks too easy. It looks fun exploring and derping around the roofs but combat is played with AWESUM button and you never really get punished in the game. I know its the new gen design like AC2 Im currently playing. Im not that bored yet but it will be quite of acheivement if I manage to finish the game and not fall asleep.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
AC games are always easy, first one is probably the "hardest". You can easly finish Brotherhood in one combo, or slaughter legions in AC3 with one counter strike. Most of the time I use low power weapons and armor just to make game harder.
AC4 looks a bit harder than all tbh, especially snipers at rooftops really inflict heavy damage and combos got nerfed.

anus_pounder

Arcane
AC games are always easy, first one is probably the "hardest". You can easly finish Brotherhood in one combo, or slaughter legions in AC3 with one counter strike. Most of the time I use low power weapons and armor just to make game harder.
AC4 looks a bit harder than all tbh, especially snipers at rooftops really inflict heavy damage and combos got nerfed.

Interesting. How did they do that?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AC games are always easy.

All, and I mean all, AAA games are too easy nowadays. And even saying "easy" is probably a stretch, because it implies some sort of challenge. The modern big budget games are only marginally more challenging than chewing on a popcorn while watching a movie.

But I guess they have to be otherwise millions of konsole kids voices would suddenly whinecry "Toooo haaaard!" (Witcher 2 anybody?)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
All AAA games are too easy, but Assassin's Creed is one of those games that takes this to extremes. In AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations you can drop down in the middle of a group of guards and they literally cannot kill you. I once did it in AC Brotherhood, went to make a sandwich, ate the sandwich and then came back to finish the fight. I mean, you can play games like Batman AA and AC blindfolded while mashing two buttons, but at least in those games it is possible to be killed.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Interesting. How did they do that?

Well, I haven't played myself yet but my friends who played on consoles told me that we cannot counter kill in 1 button press with sword attacks. So chaining 235 kills are harder now if possible.
It is still AC combat though :)

cvv
Yeah, that's disease of AAA gaming (there is a great fresh example in BG2:EE thread) Most games have huge amount of handholding, checkpoints in every corner, cheap life regen and such.
I was pretty enjoying myself with lots of "Toooo haaaard!" cries at Dark/Demon souls releases :) Them delicious tears.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
While the combat is hardly difficult, simple button-mashing will get you killed in AC3 and 4. You need to pay enough attention to use the right attacks/counters against the right enemies.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Heh, you need to be carefull in AC3, especially with no regen in combat (though you can just run away a litte bit till regen kicks in) and musketeer squads really hurt a lot. But with a little bit effort you can conquer 'Muurica all by your self, I'm pretty sure I slaughtered nearly a hundred guards easly in my first fort capture attempt. Only granediers and captains (forgot theri cool name :/) gave a bit trouble near the end.

AC4 also have some neat difficulty level at sea. Attacking high level ships and forts before upgrading the ship, is suicide.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I...obtained Black Flag for study purposes and within an hour I was bored to tears. There's absolutely, hopelessly nothing new.

There's just one good thing about this game and that's the overaching idea - that you're playing a game of playing a game. Very clever, but ultimately milked to the blood as well. Maybe I'd be interested in the ongoing metastory if it hadn't degenerated into a confused, pointless babble in AC3.

Huh. I always thought that virtual reality and "real world" meta plot was a very bad gimmick shoehorned into the franchise for the "looky, we can original!" (as if) factor. Part of why I couldn't into the series, as it really, horribly broke the fourth wall the whole time. I'd rather it was just storytelling various time periods from the perspectives of each Chosen One, without any of this Jew Illuminati overarching nonsense.
But then, the games would still be about fabulous popamole wankers with retard-friendly mechanics that make no bloody sense, so no big deal, all things considered.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Well, I played Arkham City and Origins just before going into AC2 so I guess I had more expactations. I thought it would be more like predator levels in Batman games but so far every assassination was like go to the marker, get close to victim, press magic button to kill him and activate the cutscene.
You dont really feel like a badass when doing one of these assassinations like you do when playing Batman and doing a flawless free flow combo or finish a predator scene without being seen. And being given 15 instaheals to full health in combat, you cant really die unless you fall from a church or something similar. I really like those Prince of Persia style puzzle areas and I freaking love the way the game world looks, its like playing in a history book and theres a shitload of documentation about places and structures in the game. So few minuses and a few pluses.

Laugh. If the DLC concept must exist, it's better if it's mostly reserved to free itamz, this way the people who consume games like food get their jollies ("as a father of three, I just don't have time for long games anymore") without causing too much damage.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
This was running like a dog on my aging 460 GTX, but the latest driver update (331.82) made it significantly faster.

I was looking forward to popping some moles at sea, but the forced fucking tutorial missions in the first city was enough to bore me to tears and uninstall.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Laugh. If the DLC concept must exist, it's better if it's mostly reserved to free itamz, this way the people who consume games like food get their jollies ("as a father of three, I just don't have time for long games anymore") without causing too much damage.

And then suddenly games start featuring tons of tedious grind, so you're more inclined to buy the "time saving" DLC.

Name

Cipher
I only played the first game when it was out, I skipped all the flags collecting, also did the minimal events to advance the main plot. Must say those repetitive and boring collectibles and events are bane of modern action (openworld) games. You never feel the good feeling of finding something treasuable, instead you are just completing chores/tallies.

Saints Row 4 tries to redeem such design by giving narratives to sets of events. Those "side missions" still feel repetitive.

Sorry for OT above. But the truth is, these things come from (poor) modern design paradigm. And usually games compensate this by giving you ability to detect those collectibles as special rewards at some stage before it becomes hidden object games, but AC4 sells such abilities as DLCs? That's pathetic. Unless they still have such in-game rewards, those DLCs just give you the abilities earlier?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Its just filler content, I wouldnt worry too much about it unless you are achievement hunter. And its still a single player game, if someone wants to pay instead of derping around the seas for 15 hours then why not let him pay?
Didnt Battlefield 3 had something like Shortcuts "expansion" where you pay EA some money and they unlock all weapons and gear?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom