Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if that means they have inside info the next-gen consoles will be out by then or if they don't give a shit.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if that means they have inside info the next-gen consoles will be out by then or if they don't give a shit.

Well, they already stated there will be a PS4 version with EXCLUSİVE content(boring single play missions) and some neat features(probably some useless graphical setting...).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, they already stated there will be a PS4 version with EXCLUSİVE content(boring single play missions) and some neat features(probably some useless graphical setting...).

Yeah but PC versions from them have always been a bit later, so I wonder if they don't care about having it come out on PS4 and Xbawks3 a few weeks later.

I wonder if next-gen consoles will run at 1080p native.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assas...st_naval_open-world_game_first_details_2.html

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is "the first naval open-world game" - first details

Hey Ubisoft; ever heard of Sid Meier's Pirates!, Sea Dogs, the first Pirates of the Carribean game (which was actually just Sea Dogs 2), the Tortuga series, the Port Royale series... all open-world naval combat games.

I don't get why people in the gaming industry simply get away with saying such blatantly ignorant things.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
This is Sea Dawg... AWOOOOOO!

I wonder if there'll be sea shanty QTE rhythm minigames.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What would you expect to happen after announcing your new stealth/assassination game? Soccer mums breaking down your door and hanging you by the balls for inciting yet another school shooting? No. PETA screaming at you for "glorifying hurting and killing animals".

"JOE SHMOE WHO PLAYS THIS GAME IN HIS MOTHER'S BASEMENT IN THE SAFETY AND COMFORT OF HIS HOME WILL FEEL A SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT BY KILLING THIS WHALE."

Unacceptable. Hang those animal murdering savages.

Just think about it:
"If there was a game that took place in pre-Civil War America where your character had to enslave people, people would definitely have a problem with that because they would feel like it was glorifying the enslavement of people, [...]"

Whaling is basically slavery.

So, what are you gonna play now? Well, looks like your only politically correct option is Fable 2:

In 2008, the organization gave an award to Fable 2, which it called "a vegetarian's dream come true" because it rewarded players for choosing a meat-free lifestyle.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/6/4070836/peta-objects-whaling-in-assassins-creed-4

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If a game set in 2013 glorified it I could understand, but I hate when these political correctness groups act like we can't talk frankly about history.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hitler was an assasins' guildmaster back in the day.

Imagine the game's hub. Hitler in assasin outfit talking shit about templars and necessity of killing all juice, because, duh, time travel and science magic.
and player character is a young, muscular, blond aryan and does "jawhol mein fuhrer" all the time.

Everytime you kill a joo, he screams "heil hitler! you dirthy joo templar scoombag"
In AC2 it is hinted at that Hitler was a Templar, and he didn't commit suicide, the Assassins killed him just as he was about to head for South America with the other Nazis.

Basically every historical character of importance ever, either long before the foundation or long after the dissolution of both Templar and Assassin orders, is part of either of these groups in the AC series. :lol:

Bony

Learned
Queued
Playing AC3, i just finished tutorial after 8 hours , fuck.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
If a game set in 2013 glorified it I could understand, but I hate when these political correctness groups act like we can't talk frankly about history.
Talking frankly about history is one thing; encouraging idiot consoletards to harpoon slaves whales with "100 EXP gained!" is another.
And no, giving EXP for whaling is not the same as giving EXP for killing digital humans in video games.
The former is morally grey while the latter is not. Even a consoletard won't be encouraged to kill a real human in real life after playing too much COD (Fox News' preach notwithstanding), but a consoletard who does not know better might think buying whale product is morally OK after harpooning too many whales as Captain Kenway.
I don't particularly mind commercial whaling but I can understand that certain people are concerned about it.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I don't particularly mind commercial whaling but I can understand that certain people are concerned about it.

That was a job then in "the Americas." I don't see anything wrong with giving him money and exp for doing a job. Meh.

"Giving money and exp" was simply a metaphorical way of saying "making whaling 'fun'/giving players positive feedback for whaling."
Even though whaling jobs existed back then, it was more out of necessity, not for fun.
The thing is, AssCreed 4 is not a pirate life simulation. Any activity included in the game is not simply because said activity was "a job" back then, but to make the consoletard player feel good.
Making the player feel good about participating in a morally objectionable activity? --I wonder why Ubi does not have the guts to give EXP for slave trading, which is also "a job" back then.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik

That was a job then in "the Americas." I don't see anything wrong with giving him money and exp for doing a job. Meh.

"Giving money and exp" was simply a metaphorical way of saying "making whaling 'fun'/giving players positive feedback for whaling."
Even though whaling jobs existed back then, it was more out of necessity, not for fun.
The thing is, AssCreed 4 is not a pirate life simulation. Any activity included in the game is not simply because said activity was "a job" back then, but to make the consoletard player feel good.
Making the player feel good about participating in a morally objectionable activity? --I wonder why Ubi does not have the guts to give EXP for slave trading, which is also "a job" back then.

Or...say....murdering people, which happens to be the central theme of a game called Assassin's Creed?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

Or...say....murdering people, which happens to be the central theme of a game called Assassin's Creed?

I've already addressed the distinction between the two in a previous post. I'll quote it for you:

And no, giving EXP for whaling is not the same as giving EXP for killing digital humans in video games.
The former is morally grey while the latter is not. Even a consoletard won't be encouraged to kill a real human in real life after playing too much COD (Fox News' preach notwithstanding), but a consoletard who does not know better might think buying whale product is morally OK after harpooning too many whales as Captain Kenway.

And to further make my point clear, AssCreed has never been about "murdering people" per se. Rampaging and killing CIVILIANS are discouraged with desynchronization. Killing guards and templars are encouraged as the game portrays them to be EVIL, therefore making the killing less morally objectionable.

Thus, by your analogy, if Ubi portrays the whales as "templars' evil beasts," I don't think PETA or anybody would have any objection against whaling in AssCreed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For me it's a very simple "whaling was common and not objectionable in X period of time so portraying it that way in an X period of time simulator is fine."

Anything past that is over-thinking, IMO.

I can just see the typical consoletard AC player in baggy pants shutting down his XBox, buying a harpoon and sailing to far-off lands with a bunch of similarly rugged seamen in search of many a golden doubloon and levels-worth of XP. Yarr!

It's a fucking game, you tits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom