Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an ex-con (almost) anything

Discussion in 'Prisonscape' started by PekkaK, May 19, 2014.

1. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Not with a probation officer breathing down your neck. You gonna have to get a job or be a fucking quadriplegic.

^ Top  
  2. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    It is indeed a dark day, bros. I found out yesterday my friend and former cell mate Ramirez, who I've talked about multiple times in this thread, was busted late last month on a drug conspiracy charge. I can't tell you how bad this disappoints and hurts me. I really believed he was going to stay away from that shit.

• :( :( x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. "Chad J. Thundercock" with the quotation marks Savant Possibly Retarded

"Chad J. Thundercock" with the quotation marks
    Parrots:
    Just curious, but do you think people returning to crime after getting out are a fault of the system (like lack of opportunities for jobs, lack of support from anyone else on the outside or no proper rehabilitation) or do some people just have no other option or are just drawn to it?

^ Top  
  4. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    It's both. I can't speak about Ramirez because I don't know what it was going through or how he got started with it again. There's really nothing inside or outside as far as rehabilitation goes to prevent people from reoffending, so if there was there would be a lot less recidivism.

But there are some people who are just drawn to that lifestyle and can't pull away and as much as I hate to say it, I think that had to be a lot of it Ramirez. I'll also tell you that for a lot of people, especially those drawn to it, the thing that is the nail in the coffin for them is hanging out with the same people or types or people they were when they were doing illegal shit, because that almost guarantees they'll return to that lifestyle. Ramirez is charged with conspiracy and was busted with some other dude, so that's probably a lot to do with it too.

I remember the couple of months in prison where the hooch was flowing like water and we were all getting drunk every night. It was a weird time, but after that I looked at Ramirez totally different, because he just became a totally different person. Not really even mean or reckless, just different. He started spinning out of control quick. It was like every night with him once we got him started and I felt bad about it and started to worry, so that's why we stopped and eventually he did too. But what it made me realize was it was very easy for him to get caught up in something cause he went with whatever the crowd was doing. I wouldn't call it peer pressure, because I don't think he actually felt pressured into doing it, but it was a similar idea.

It's also fully possible he started using coke again and became addicted and for a lot of people once they develop a drug habit they turn to selling to pay for it. I saw his mug shot and he had definitely aged, not terribly, but noticeably.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    You'd be in jail again as well, were it not for the RPG CODEX, the website that changed your life for the better.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    God I hope that's not true.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    I received a letter from my friend Dave the other day. He's an older guy I played D&D with. He had a bad health problem recently where he had to have a triple by pass and get a pace maker put in. Apparently he flat lined during the surgery.

He's at Butner now, which is a medical facility and bizarrely only about 15 minutes from me but I can't visit him (because rules).

Anyway, he seems to be doing well and told me about all of the people he ran into that we knew from Petersburg. Also, apparently the influx of drugs is so bad there they're banning all non-white paper letters, which is insane. No color paper, cards, envelopes, stickers, print outs, posters, pictures, glitter... That's insane. Can you imagine someone who has kids not being able to get drawings from them in crayon and people not getting birthday cards?

Also, I stay in regular contact with a buddy of mine from PB and he was telling me that there's a rumor they're going to tear down the chow hall and Richmond and Lee Hall. Now, if you've been reading this thread I've talked about how fucked up Lee & Richmond Hall are before. Old as fuck, dilapidated. The rumor they would be torn down had existed even when I was there. Same for the chow hall. But it seems this time they're serious.This means shipping maybe 600+ people off the compound. Holy shit.

Check out the map I posted awhile back to see how major that would be.

It also means that people who have been there forever will leave and it's already happening. A dude I knew and played frisbee with named Steve (we called him Big Steve cause he was 6'8", also Big Dummy because he ran around on the field like a stupid Golden Retriever puppy) is getting transferred and when they do these fast transfers they give you maybe a days notice. So he had to say good bye to everyone he's been doing time with for over 7 years and be uprooted from a place he's that comfortable with and used to. I lost a couple of people that way and it really is tough. I was lucky in that I left before a lot of my closest friends did and the people I hung out with mostly left around the same time.

But I think about guys like Dave who is really the only member of my close crew left after me, Tom, Ramirez (all went home) and Fig left (transferred about 5 months before I went home) and think that it must have been weird for them. Now, Tom did get D&D going again after I left with a new crew and I think he tried to keep it going for Dave so he'd have that after he left, but the new DM got transferred immediately after and killed that. Now Dave has been transferred to Butner and has to adjust to that. Sucks. He's from NC, so it's closer, but he's lost basically all his family in the last 3 years.

But the good news is at Butner he is playing in 3 different D&D campaigns.

Occasionally I'll ask my buddy at PB to say "what's up?" to someone for me only to find out they went home or were transferred. I realized that if I went back, I wouldn't recognize almost anyone and it would be a totally difference experience.

I also found out T-Rex, who I've also talked about before, got a bad infection in his leg and was transferred to a medical facility in Missouri (FCI Springfield). Word is, they amputated that leg :(

It seems like just yesterday so these drastic changes are weird to hear about... but then I realize it's been YEARS.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    Do you know Big Herc? Do you bust cheeks or split wigs?

^ Top  
  9. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    Haha, yes, I watch his videos. Funny enough, I only recently discovered his videos while looking for a video to post here. He did time in the feds too, although he did time at rougher spots than I did (UPS's), but there's still a lot of similarities. I'd say 90% of what he says I can relate to and at least 75% is exactly how it was where I was at.

"You go stinking up the cell, you're gonna get your wig split."

^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    The way he talks about doing time is hilarious. "Don't let nobody take ya cheeks."

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)