Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an ex-con (almost) anything

Discussion in 'Prisonscape' started by PekkaK, May 19, 2014.

1. DJOGamer PT Learned

DJOGamer PT
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    :backawayslowly:

This thread...

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • You're Fired! You're Fired! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    So for fun I thought I'd show all of you what a monthly U.S. Probation report looks like. I have to fill out one of these and send it to my PO every month:

Reports (open)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Parrots:
    What happens if you tick "yes" in the "illegal drug use" field? Go straight to jail without collecting $200?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. I'm With Her Mustawd for prison Arcane

Mustawd
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  5. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    Yep.

Very likely, but not necessarily. It depends on your overall behavior while on probation. If you've been on for a few years and haven't had any other mistakes you'll probably have to go before a Judge but your PO may have your back and the Judge will likely defer to them. It's your "get out of jail free card." I'd say admitting to it (although it's better to tell your PO to his/her face than just check a box on the report) increases your odds of not going back to prison. It's definitely better than doing an UA and pissing dirty. I know a guy who before his UA came clean about smoking weed at a party. Of course, the UA turned up positive for marijuana use, but because he admitted it they only made him take a drug class for a few months. He didn't even have to go before the Judge.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Brayko Arcane

Brayko
    Parrots:
    Here's a question, why do most cons not give a fuck about changing the system that failed them in the first place? I've yet to see any sort of revolutionary-minded con in this modern age.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. I'm With Her Mustawd for prison Arcane

Mustawd
    Parrots:
    What makes you think they have any power in that regard? Felons can't even vote. I'm guessing they can't run for office. The fact that a felon can even rehab his life is a struggle enough. What you're asking is herculean IMO.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Harg Harfardarssen Erudite Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Not universally true. This varies by state/crime and ex-cons should look into their own state's rules before assuming they can't vote. For example, in NY if your crime while you can't vote if you are currently serving a sentence for a disqualifying crime (which includes being on parole), once your sentence has been discharged you can vote again.

ETA: just parole, apparently PRS is not a dealbreaker

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Brayko Arcane

Brayko
    Parrots:
    Who said anything about voting or running for office? And who asked you anyway? Go back to your comfort zone, Bourgeois scum.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Mustawd for prison Arcane

Mustawd
    Parrots:

So your butthurt answer is "I don't have an answer"? Got it.

EDIT: For the record, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just think your statement is naive. Besides voting/politics how else would they change it? I mean you can try to become a celebrity and spread the word to the public I guess. Still a herculean task.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM
    ^ Top  
  11. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    It's a variety of reasons. Once a lot of inmates are released, they just want to be left alone and get on with their lives. They don't want to think about, bring up or hear anyone talk about the fact they did time. So, to be out there as an activist would not allow them to do that.

Many are beaten and broken by the system when they come out. They're like Theon Greyjoy in Game of Thrones. Many develop major Stockholm Syndrome and there's programs in the BOP, like the RDAP (Residential Drug Treatment Program) that as part of the program basically turn inmates into sheep who embrace authority and the system. There was nothing wrong with the system, it was all them.

There's an apathy that comes with it too. After years of being chewed up by the system, a lot of inmates throw up their hands and just think you can't win so they don't try when they get out. They've seen how corrupt and powerful it is and it's a beast they believe cannot be slayed. In the feds it's especially bad and I heard a lot of inmates say "the feds play by a different set of rules, you can't win." Basically, they just accept defeat. Another thing is for YEARS people have been saying they were going to do federal sentencing reform and it's really never happened. You have recently convicted inmates coming in with all this hope that they're going to change the laws and you have old head inmates who've been hearing this shit for 8, 10, 15, even 20 years and are totally cynical about it. Eventually, you do enough time you get this way too and it sticks with you when you get out.

As has been mentioned, not all felons can vote and most can't for awhile after they get out of prison. This not only denies them the most basic voice, it also disconnects them from activism/politics on the whole. I like to think voting is sorta the border pieces to a jigsaw puzzle. If you don't have the border, how can you put the rest of the puzzle together?

Many ex-cons/felons are afraid of retribution for speaking out. They've seen how hard the law (especially the feds) can fuck with you and don't want any more problems. They don't want to bring unwanted attention to themselves. They just want to be left alone. The bottom line is that as a felon, there's already tons of extra ways law enforcement and government can fuck with you and there's always this constant cloud hanging over you where you know if you fuck up again, at all, it's going to be so much more serious. This feeling is increased 100x when you're on probation and when it comes to federal sentences, almost every is on probation for at least a few years after getting out of prison. There's tons more ways they can fuck with you and by the time you get off probation, you may be so glad it's all over with that you just want to move on with your life completely.

It seems to be the areas that have the most need of reform have the least number of ex-cons willing to speak out. For example, sex offenders almost never speak out for reform, even though SO laws are totally fucked. The last thing they want to do is call themselves out or bring attention to themselves. None of them want that label or anyone to know about their past, but getting involved in activism will certainly put the spotlight on them. There's also basically unlimited ways law enforcement can stretch the law to silence any SO who speaks out. For example, there's a guy in Texas who is an SO activist. He's been featured in Reason magazine. Basically when he was a teenager his sister claimed that he touched her inappropriately. Later the sister recanted this but he was already convicted and has to be a registered SO. One day he was going to the police station with a Reason reporter because he had to change his address because him and his family (he has a wife and two kids) had moved. He misinterpreted the law and thought he had to inform them of his move within three days after the move. In fact, it was within three days BEFORE the move. Even though he came in to register his new address he was arrested right there and charged.

Another example came right here in NC where they were trying to pass a law that would ban SOs from places like churches, libraries, parks, movie theaters, even malls. One SO who has a statutory rape charge (he was 19, she was 15, it was consensual but not under the law) went to the General Assembly to speak out against the law. A law already on the books mandates that SOs cannot loiter within 30 yards away from schools, day cares, etc. (kinda hard to do when you're trying to walk down the street). Turns out there was a day care within the General Assembly building for staff he was not aware of and he was within 30 yards and was arrested right there as he tried to pass out literature making the case against the new law.

So, you see, there's a lot of reasons felons/ex-cons aren't trying to change the system.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. I'm With Her Mustawd for prison Arcane

Mustawd
    Parrots:
    Is it hard to not fuck up on probation? I heard there are so many rules and shit, it's hard not to screw up here and there.

^ Top  
  13. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    Personally, I don't think it is hard to fuck up, but I'm not really a "criminal." By that I mean, yes, I committed a crime, but I wasn't living a criminal lifestyle so it's easier for me. I've been at it for over three years now and have stayed out of trouble the entire time. I just stay honest with my PO, let him come to the house once a month, meet with him at my business every once and awhile and piss in a cup a couple times a year. That's really all there is to it if you stay out of trouble.

But for some people, they were living a criminal lifestyle so since that's the only lifestyle they know, it's hard not to go back to it. They're also more likely to have friends/family who are involved in some kind of crime and/or are doing drugs, so it's easy for them to get caught up in those kinds of things that will get them violated.

For the most part from my experience, the POs actually try to look out for you and give you second chances. They really do seem to be more about rehabilitation and take no pleasure sending you back to prison. But this can also depend on the PO and the district you're in because some POs are assholes and some districts give zero fucks about sending you back. In some places their case loads are so big that if they send you back you're a burden they no longer have so you give them a reason, they will. On the other hand, a lot of places have so many people on probation that those on probation almost never see their PO or even have to interact with them. I know two people -- one in Miami and one in the D.C. area -- that have only spoken to/seen their PO three times in the last year.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)