Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ash of Gods: Redemption Released

Got my email about the key, but since at this rate it will take me ~35 years to beat the rest of my 350+ games, I'm willing to give the key away. If I wanna play it afterwards i'll buy it again later.

Please respond here if ur a fan of banner saga games and want to play or couldn't back originally. I'd preferably give it to someone who wants to play it really bad now but doesnt wanna pay for it. Dont want some random who just wants to play it for like 4 minutes and then forget it.

I like the devs. they deserve fans who wanna play it.

Give me the key faggot
gib me plz

Mustawd

Got my email about the key, but since at this rate it will take me ~35 years to beat the rest of my 350+ games, I'm willing to give the key away. If I wanna play it afterwards i'll buy it again later.

Please respond here if ur a fan of banner saga games and want to play or couldn't back originally. I'd preferably give it to someone who wants to play it really bad now but doesnt wanna pay for it. Dont want some random who just wants to play it for like 4 minutes and then forget it.

Give me the key faggot

ok will pm

Mustawd

Give me the key faggot
gib me plz

pm me ur steam account. will gift it to you. I know you will play it.

Mustawd

Give me the key faggot
gib me plz

pm me ur steam account. will gift it to you. I know you will play it.

Done. enjoy.

Mustawd

Give me the key faggot

ok will pm

Done. please finish and post honest impressions.

Mustawd

yah man. Hope these guys did a good job. if not, feel free to say so. Would save me a couple dozen hours.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After the first act it really sucks you in. I desperately need sleep but I can’t stop playing.

Edit: although this seems to happen to me a lot so maybe it’s just a character flaw—profound lack of self control.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I bought it. Art is awesome, the dialog is indeed out of place sometimes but overall it's good.

However the combat while more convoluted it's not better than Banner Saga: it has the same retarded initiative system.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Tried it briefly and it's pretty... meh. The combat is just ability spam, nothing else. There are no mechanics for terrain, facing, flanking, no zones of control, not even cover, just "press button and watch the awsumz!!!!111".

The story is okay I guess, but the moment you start to get to grips with it and your party... you get jerked away and forced to play another party. And then another. Fuck that really.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are no mechanics for terrain, facing, flanking, no zones of control, not even cover, just "press button and watch the awsumz!!!!111".

Squad-level tactical games peaked with tabletop BattleTech, Jagged Alliance 2, and X-COM/TftD.

That's it, that's all you get. But hey, if we were Indian street children from the untouchable caste, we wouldn't get any at all. You've got to look on the bright side, really.

Andhaira

Arcane
Looks good, tactical RPGs are great. The fact that its turn based and party based alone makes it more an RPG than Pillars of Eternity or ELEX. I wanted to get into Banner Saga but the lack of magic hurt.

Anyone got a key to spare, hit me up.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried it briefly and it's pretty... meh. The combat is just ability spam, nothing else. There are no mechanics for terrain, facing, flanking, no zones of control, not even cover, just "press button and watch the awsumz!!!!111".

The story is okay I guess, but the moment you start to get to grips with it and your party... you get jerked away and forced to play another party. And then another. Fuck that really.

There’s a bit more to it than ability spam, but if you played Banner Saga or watched the trailers or read anything about the game, I don’t know why you would expect this level sophistication. I agree these would all be wonderful features. It’s just that at no point was this billed as medieval Jagged Alliance.

As for the story, the POV shift is jarring at first, but things quickly start to connect and the pace of the story keeps accelerating. I groaned the second time they shifted me to the Asian guy; then the story got very real very fast. Suddenly I’m doing CYOA torture: cut off ear, cut off hand, cut into chest? Oh the choices!

Looks good, tactical RPGs are great. The fact that its turn based and party based alone makes it more an RPG than Pillars of Eternity or ELEX. I wanted to get into Banner Saga but the lack of magic hurt.

Anyone got a key to spare, hit me up.

Once you get maybe two thirds of the way into the first Banner Saga, you get some awesome magic. Lightning bolts that travel diagonally across the grid. And in the sequel you have magic users for the whole game.

So played it for several hours, My impressions mustawd.

++Art is more than decent; I am not a fan of the art-style though.

+++ Music is superb.

==Combat is bearable.
++It is turn based
--has that round robin initiate thing (which is massive faggotry imo). So sometimes going in with less PCs can actually be beneficial. Also going in with less PCs tends to award better magi cards.
=Magic is kind of a CCG with once per battle. You arrange a deck of cards before battle; they can be sued once per battle and not all magic can be sued in the first turn. Effectively Pseudo-Vancian. Interesting but I am not a fan of CCGs.

==Dialogue is wonky. Most of it is bearable; but sometimes there are clear translation derps. Not a deal-breaker; but Grammar Nazis will be triggered.

++Decent CnC in banner Saga style. (an example without being too spoilery: If you select to get jewels as a birthday gift for your hoe in chapter begining1; you get the option to get a top up of an important resource called strix)

== Character Progression. While Characters start with a class/archtype with more or less fixed stats and role; Level-up points can influence the direction your combatant leans into. Better than most jRPGs; but don't expect the complexity of DnD 3.5e

Summary:
Depending on how well the narrative holds up at later chapters, has the potential to nicely appeal to storyfags. Combat is bearable, but at least it is turn based so you don't need mindless twitch reflexes/nor the prosperous hybrid RTwP. In fact if you can get over the butthurt of the round-robin initiative system ( I cannot), Combat can be good tactical fun and enough of a challenge without being face-roll. Dialogue does become wonky, but eh not that noticeable in sot places.
All in all; if you liked Banner Saga 1, you will find this great for scratching that same itch. Simply the artstyle/music and CnC elements are good enough for me to play-through it, at-least once.

PS: For total story faggots; there is casual mode which auto-resovles battles so dweeb weaboos can play it liek a Visual Novel, but with less kawaii desu-desu.

Last edited:
Bought it and played up until the third chapter.
* Very good graphics and animation (although if you dislike rotoscoped Soviet animation from 1950s, and, well, Banner Saga - you probably won't like it).
* Music was made by the same guys who done Witcher 3 one, so it's predictably awesome.
* Battle system is somewhat weird, and can be challenging in the beginning (Russian streamers seem to hate it: "COMBAT SUCKS WHY MY CHARACTERS DIE???!!! GAME IS SHIT!!"). It's turn-based, not phase-based, although the fewer characters you control the more turns you have, or at least it seems that way, It goes like this - your turn - enemy's turn; if you have one character, then you can act right after enemy made their move, so if you have one character, and the enemies have 6, each of six enemies can act one time, and you can act six times. Kinda weird.
* RPG elements are light, there are three tiers of abilities, each ability can be modified or improved in two or three ways by spending experience points you get from battles. For a sRPG it's perfectly serviceable though.
* C&C are decent, you can even lose party members, you can decide where to go ( at least two or three ways available, each with it's own encounter and often C&Cs). Game has diminishing resources mechanics, so if you deplete your magic stones (heh), then you must distribute the number of wounds among party members, if a character will get more then three - he or she will die.
* Story is decent, although writing is mostly serviceable in Russian. In English it probably will read worse.
* In Russian version there's almost no voiceover, which is a plus in my book.
* Game runs pretty stable on my rig, haven't crashed even once.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Misread the title.

The Codex warned them devs back in the day that their tittle has a problem. They thought (and think) that it has not.

It's their bed of rose now~

What's the problem with the title?
Ash of Gods!

The tittle say itself, really.

We/I made the point that the tittle is a bit too sexy so they should make a few more sexy details in the game. They refused, citing something about a serious game (which lot of dexers agree) but refuse to change the name since they think people will be serious and think this game serious.

Well~

Misread the title.

The Codex warned them devs back in the day that their tittle has a problem. They thought (and think) that it has not.

It's their bed of rose now~

What's the problem with the title?
Ash of Gods!

The tittle say itself, really.

We/I made the point that the tittle is a bit too sexy so they should make a few more sexy details in the game. They refused, citing something about a serious game (which lot of dexers agree) but refuse to change the name since they think people will be serious and think this game serious.

Well~
271vj5.jpg

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
This is actually much better reaction from you guys that I might have expected, you're all fluffly cuddly teddy bears inside.

:love:

So far we got "Very Postive" review score on Steam. Players like:

- Combat
- Story
- Art
- Music (!)

They dislike:

- Difficulty (roguelike too punishing, they lose party members)
- Combat (too challenging) - I restrain myself from responding with "Git gud, scrub"
- writing at times
- occasional bugs (we've published some hotfixes already)

Overall it goes pretty well, still waiting for major media reviews to kick in.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Hit almost 1k simultaneous players today. Great number for an indie RPG. Legit hit it looks like.

Shadenuat

Arcane
the fewer characters you control the more turns you have, or at least it seems that way, It goes like this - your turn - enemy's turn; if you have one character, then you can act right after enemy made their move, so if you have one character, and the enemies have 6, each of six enemies can act one time, and you can act six times. Kinda weird.
Same as Banner Saga. Originally developers probably didn't want players to just nuke bosses who would act once or somethin.

the fewer characters you control the more turns you have, or at least it seems that way, It goes like this - your turn - enemy's turn; if you have one character, then you can act right after enemy made their move, so if you have one character, and the enemies have 6, each of six enemies can act one time, and you can act six times. Kinda weird.
Same as Banner Saga. Originally developers probably didn't want players to just nuke bosses who would act once or somethin.
I've played BS on release, and I remember there were some differences in combat mechanics between AoG and BS. Maybe I misremembering though, only played BS once and not for long.

This is actually much better reaction from you guys that I might have expected, you're all fluffly cuddly teddy bears inside.

So far we got "Very Postive" review score on Steam. Players like:

- Combat
- Story
- Art
- Music (!)

They dislike:

- Difficulty (roguelike too punishing, they lose party members)
- Combat (too challenging) - I restrain myself from responding with "Git gud, scrub"
- writing at times
- occasional bugs (we've published some hotfixes already)

Overall it goes pretty well, still waiting for major media reviews to kick in.
Congrats on the successful launch! Олсоу, раз уж разработчик тут - задам-ка вопрос.
Безумие Кригера и последующая драка с ним может быть предотвращена? Если да, то как? Не люблю терять партийцев.

Mustawd

No offense man, but codex is like a 24/7 comedy roast. I once watched a video where ppl were roasting Patrice Oneal. And one of the comics was being a bit too nice. Patrice was all "No...Roasts are supposed to be mean! So be mean!!"

I hope ppl here don't hold back. Let's hear the good and the bad.

EDIT: RIP Patrice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom