Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ash of Gods: Redemption Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ash of Gods: Redemption; AurumDust

Ash of Gods: Redemption, the lavish Banner Saga-like from Russian studio AurumDust that was successfully Kickstarted last year, was released today. Originally planned for release last year, the developers used the extra time afforded by its delay back in October to produce a series of impressive trailers and distribute a press build that yielded a few previews, some more positive than others. The game's real test of quality, of course, begins now. Here's its launch trailer and description:

Ash of Gods: Redemption is a turn-based RPG that combines tactical combat, CCG elements, and a constantly evolving story in which no one is safe from death, including the main characters.

GAMEPLAY

Ash of Gods is the story of three separate protagonists rising in response to a centuries-old menace once thought to be mere folklore.

Ash of Gods’ storyline is constantly evolving in response to players’ choices, sometimes even resulting in death. But, the death of a character is not game over. Instead, the story moves forward with the death of that character and previous choices continuing to impact future events.

Combat in Ash of Gods is a blend of both traditional turn-based strategy and CCG gameplay. While individual tactics will depend upon the skills and classes of your characters, you will unlock and accumulate cards that have the power to unleash powerful abilities, sometimes altering the course of an entire battle.

WHAT MAKES ASH OF GODS UNIQUE
  • Decisions with Major Impacts
    Every decision, whether on or off the battlefield, has the capacity to alter the course of events and the fate of your party with major repercussions. But, even the death of your leader is not the end of your journey.
  • No Random Dice Rolls
    There are no dice throws to determine chance-to-hit or the force of a blow. In Ash of Gods, true tacticians must master the skills of their classes and harness the powers granted by their limited supplies of cards, or suffer the consequences.
  • AI that Adapts to You
    Ash of Gods’ AI adapts to your style of play to ensure a consistently challenging experience with no room for cheap tactics or invincible team builds.
  • PvP Multiplayer
    Challenge other players and compete for a spot on the leaderboards. Unlock new characters, upgrades, and cards to customize your tactics even further.
  • Rewards for Risk
    Expend your own HP for a last-ditch attack. Go into battle with a smaller team to get better cards and quicker rounds. Take the shorter, but more dangerous route to save on resources. Ash of Gods rewards those willing to take the risks.

AurumDust have done all the right things, but is there a market for Banner Saga-likes in 2018? Ash of Gods seems to have higher production qualities and its mechanics aren't quite as obtuse in their board gaminess, but I'm not sure it will be able to break through. If you want to give it a chance though, the game is now available on Steam and GOG for the price of $25.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
d511a4dc37.png

LITERALLY unplayable.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
caveat: if you liked the banner saga for its writing, you may want to wait for the developers to edit the text some more. sometimes it works, but it's uneven and often reads like a not so hot translation (which presumably is what it is).

other than that, mrs. Lincoln, it's pretty solid.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I’m in chapter 2 now. I don’t want to make the writing sound like it’s all terrible. Some of it is very good. It’s just that the dialogue can be uneven at times in a way that’s a bit jarring.

Other than that, I think it compares pretty favorably with TBS.

Edit: the infrequent voiced parts are quite good.

2nd edit: love the music

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This hits all the marks of a shit game, the day one buyer is talking about writing, dialog, music and all other pointless stuff and no word on the gameplay.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
This hits all the marks of a shit game, the day one buyer is talking about writing, dialog, music and all other pointless stuff and no word on the gameplay.

I mean, it’s a Banner Saga clone. So far I think the combat is better. Rather than TBS’ strength and armor system, AoG gives you HP and energy points. You can consume energy points to travel extra distance in a turn, and you can attack an enemy’s health or their energy. If your energy drops to zero, every additional hit causes double damage to health. It’s more what you’d expect from a typical turn based tactical game than TBS, where your HP was also your attack power. The system is more intuitive but you also have more things to keep track of.

Two more points of differentiation: you have special attacks/abilities that can consume HP or energy points or both. Some can be used every turn, the more powerful ones have 2 or 3 or 4 turn cooldowns.

There’s also a card element but it’s not very significant. I don’t know what to compare it to because I’ve never played any card games. You have a small number of cards that are magic spells; you can use a turn to cast one each round—that is, your whole party needs to reach its second turn before you can cast the second spell. So far they’re pretty minor: do 10 damage, heal 10 damage, boost one character’s attack power by 20%. Aside from the healing card I mostly ignore them.

Unlike Banner Saga, you have an incentive to kill all your enemies quickly. The problem with TBS combat was that you had a huge incentive to do murder management, keeping weakened opponents alive who can’t really hurt you alive so that they take up extra turns. This is not an issue in AoG because even an enemy with one health and no energy can hurt you very badly. The only exception so far was a highly unusual fight in a little vignette where you play as a single incredibly overpowered samurai/ninja guy. You’re up against eight redshirts and one very tough boss who can nearly one shot you. In that fight, the enemy’s extra soldiers get in the way of the boss doing real damage because all the enemies needs to take a turn before he gets his second turn. Other than that fight, so far, AoG lacks the murder management aspect of TBS.

There’s no fixed order in combat. You alternate with the enemy, but both sides get to choose the order their guys go in on the fly. The only restriction is that you have to exhaust everyone’s first turn before anyone else can have a second turn. So the guy who moves last in turn one could move first in turn two, which can be brutal if you set things up properly.

The enemy AI seems better than TBS. But I hesitate to say more on combat because I’ve been through less than ten real fights at this point.

Character progression is kind of thin, but pretty much in-line with TBS. At each level you can give yourself more health or energy or damage or slower cooldowns for special attacks. Some characters have additional abilities that can be unlocked.

So, like I said before, if you liked Banner Saga, you will probably like Ash of Gods. It does some things better and some things worse. Better gameplay, worse writing. If you don’t like Banner Saga, obviously it’s not for you.

Caveat: I’m still pretty early on in the game so I reserve the right to change my mind depending on how the rest of it goes.

Mustawd

Got my email about the key, but since at this rate it will take me ~35 years to beat the rest of my 350+ games, I'm willing to give the key away. If I wanna play it afterwards i'll buy it again later.

Please respond here if ur a fan of banner saga games and want to play or couldn't back originally. I'd preferably give it to someone who wants to play it really bad now but doesnt wanna pay for it. Dont want some random who just wants to play it for like 4 minutes and then forget it.

I like the devs. they deserve fans who wanna play it.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Got my email about the key, but since at this rate it will take me ~35 years to beat the rest of my 350+ games, I'm willing to give the key away. If I wanna play it afterwards i'll buy it again later.

Please respond here if ur a fan of banner saga games and want to play or couldn't back originally. I'd preferably give it to someone who wants to play it really bad now but doesnt wanna pay for it. Dont want some random who just wants to play it for like 4 minutes and then forget it.

I like the devs. they deserve fans who wanna play it.

Give me the key faggot

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
600+ simultaneous players and 80%+ positive reviews seems like a great start! Obviously not Banner Saga numbers, but for a true indie RPG, I think that's pretty good. And I'm still in awe of the production values on this thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom