Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

As always, RPGWatch with the Turn-Based RPG reviews which Codex ignores: "Stranger of Sword City"

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
stop playing rpgs, start larp-ing evil priests (or whatever) in bed, try not to lose erection

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The 'j' in 'JRPG' often makes people think that it's something full animu like Final Fantasy.
Elminage Gothic actually looks too western to be considered a JRPG.

JRPG may have meant a RPG made in Japan at some point but it's a full fledged genre for a long time now.
This of course means non Japanese developers can make JRPGs and Japanese developers can make WRPGs.
The use of JRPG as a term for a subgenre indicates a certain type of game that is focused on a linear story, with preset characters, numerous lengthy cinematic cutscenes, and simplified mechanics. It does not include Wizardry-likes such as Stranger in Sword City, nor does it include games focused on action-based combat such as the Souls series or Dragon's Dogma.

And, of course, the Codex's number one computer role-playing game is an American-made JRPG. :M

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
InD_ImaginE Serious question : why don't you like blobbers?
To me RPGs have always been blobbers and derivatives, so I have some difficulties understanding why someone would like some RPGs but not blobbers.

Basically what our lovely Admin said. But to be precise I don't find doing more or less the same thing with bigger number for 30 - 40 hours without anything else much to do is fun. Even if I said I liked FF (and actually JRPG in general) I never bothered with the super-bosses which require you to play chocobo breeding/mini games and grind for another 20 - 30 hours before you are capable to defeat them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jesus fucking christ InD_ImaginE , just go play a blobber, go play Wizardry 1-8 or go play Elminage: Original/Gothic, or go play, hell, the titular Stranger of Sword of City.

It's not that I give a shit about making you like turn-based blobbers; it's that you're typing about shit you have no knowledge about and you sound like an ass.

Go play one of those games, and at least then we can all take your thoughts on turn-based blobbering at least a bit more seriously as at least then you'll have played what you're (trying) to talk about.

Right now you're just typing gibberish.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
According to Joshua Sawer, i.e. Roguey, whatever an RPG may be it is most definitely not Wizardry.

Wizardry was a role playing game given the context that it was made. A Wizardry-like made in a post-Fallout world would not be though.

By the way, if my ~insider info~ is on the up and up (it might not be, my source isn't exactly reliable or completely coherent), the Codex actually might have some kind of official content involving the title this thread is about sometime in the unknown future.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, only games where you pick from arbitrary choice A, B or C to slightly change an ending slide in the game are TROOO roleplaying.
No slides, no game!!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If jRPGS weren't obsessed with stuff like grinding and repetition I'd be more interested in them.
Name a few that are.
Every single Final Fantasy game - this is a jRPG example, not a dungeon crawler like the game this thread is about, which is what they call a DRPG these days (dungeon RPG) - has been designed to be beatable with minimum level. I've beaten most of them myself at minimum level. And that's just the biggest franchise!

So the onus is on you: which jRPGs are obsessed with grinding? Name one where it's required to beat the main story, excluding optional hard modes or optional bosses.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Jesus, fine. This a perfectly valid English construction because most people can resolve ambiguity using context.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I have no context Jasede, I have yet to play any jRPGs, though I've always been interested to try one at some point, I'm just waiting for one where the reviews don't mention such stuff as grinding, respawns, too much random encounters, etc etc. Also it would be nice if the aesthetic was more 'adult' (for want of a better word) in nature as most jRPGs seem to make even things like Kings Bounty: The Legend look mature. Having 5-15 year olds beating up dragons kinda breaks the 4th wall a bit too much for me.

What do you recommend I start with?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jasede

as for grinding... I remember playing disgaea I actually need to grind a lot just to beat the main story (yeessss, i'm talking about disgaea 1, where the final boss is still under level 100)
or the first gen pokemon, when I get to elite four, all my pokemons including my starter are underleveled

but then again when I first played it I admit I still have a suckass gaming skill

final fantasies though, nope, no grinding required

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Disgaea is not a jRPG, though. It's been marketed as a strategy RPG in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre. I was going to specifically mention it but decided against it because I thought nobody would confuse the genres.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom