Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armies of Exigo: FUN!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Rex - how far into the game are you? I'm at the last Fallen mission (#24 total) and it's pretty fucking obvious it's a total rip-off. Not saying I'm not enjoying it nor that it's a bad game that deserves a 6.7, but it's almost ridiculous seeing parts of the Fallen and not thinking zerg. Pretty embarrasing for Black Hole for lacking so much in invention as they certainly have the art assets available to them.

Well, I've always wanted more decent campaigns for Warcraft 3 and Starcraft, but sadly Blizzard's more or less abandoned those two games so it's doubtful we'd ever be playing anything like that in the future, what with their whole "World of Warcraft" and possible "World of Diablo" franchises, as if one World of game wasn't enough.

It's pretty obvious that the game's a clone with a lot of nice innovations (supergroups, levelling regular units, underground) but that doesn't make it a bad game in any way. It wasn't as if Warcraft 1 was anything more than a Dune 2 clone with dungeon missions. That said, I enjoy the game for what it is: a good clone. It's better than playing one of the thousands of supposedly 'innovative' WWII themed titles that happen to be a clone of an even worse game with absolutely no AI: Blitzkrieg, or lousy Generals clones like Battle for Middle Earth and Codename Panzers.

I'd rate Armies of Exigo above Dawn of War for two reasons: The campaign is longer and better designed, and the multiplayer isn't an imbalanced heap.

As for whether you'd like AOX if you liked Starcraft, the answer is yes though I find it rather amusing that the hordes of Warcraft 3 fans would call this game 'ugly' or have less polys than Warcraft 3. Who the hell are they kidding? That's like saying Half Life looks better than Half Life 2.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, it might be a clone but it's definitely enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom