Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Are you ready for a Mandate in space?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"The dangers of space should not only test your metal, but your flesh."

Was this intentional?

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well it looks nice if they can pull it off. If they can retain the feeling of the vastness of space, I'm in. One of the things that pissed me off about ME was that they managed to make our unbelievably huge galaxy feel like a small playground

Lhynn

Arcane
Well it looks nice if they can pull it off. If they can retain the feeling of the vastness of space, I'm in. One of the things that pissed me off about ME was that they managed to make our unbelievably huge galaxy feel like a small playground
ME2/3 you mean, right?
in ME1 it wasnt as bad. true, it was really small, but actually felt bigger than it should have been, at least to me.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Looks like they're doing everything right, except for the main thing: asking way too much money

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I read this as 'Are you ready for a Mandala in space?' and was quite disappointed when i opened the topic.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where Nexus 2 kickstarter failed this will be successful ?
I will laugh so hard...

Lhynn

Arcane
I will laugh so hard...
Why? the premise for nexus 2 was simplistic and fucking boring. only thing they have in common is that they are both set in space and that they both want some form of tactical component in combat.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
It doesn't look like a campaign I'd be willing to trust, but it sounds like a game I'd love to play if it were created.

rogue-like chain of command.
I presume they mean roguelike. It's surprising that it has taken so long for somebody to think of implementing a chain of command determined by randomly generated top-down turnbased dungeons.

Don't know. Curious for some things, but the very clunky narration (and I'm not only speaking of the voice acting) and the fact that almost half of the staff - and notably the writer - will be revealed AFTER the funding are very turnoffy.

Stretch goal one: We will acquire a lead programmer, programmer, senior designer, writer, and three artists for the project.

Yeah, ok, they do have other people revealed for some of these roles, but making the team look bigger by mentioning anonymous nobodies still looks shady.

kaizoku

Arcane
Did they pay for advertising here?

Anyway, this seems far too ambitious for a team of people spread all over the world and no experience on an actual RPG. And what's with these campaigns that don't reveal the names of people involved unless it's funded? Some kind of contractual thing? Ashamed to be tied to a losing campaign?

My thoughts as well.

There have been a lot of other space games, but I don't remember many (if any) being mentioned in DU news.

Maybe this was what captivated DU
We wanted to make a game where you’re not a solid, singular object in a sky-box; you are a captain in an evolving, dynamic ship that hundreds of people call home. They adapt to you, and grow with you as you fight alongside them, and if you suffer losses, you’ll feel the loss that comes with that.

:troll:

Anyway, an RPG is serious business, even more one set in space.
And all they have to show are concept images and a rudimentary prototype.

Keep working and try again.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I will laugh so hard...
Why? the premise for nexus 2 was simplistic and fucking boring. only thing they have in common is that they are both set in space and that they both want some form of tactical component in combat.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident was one of the best fucking games of the decade.
Have you even read all the updates of the Nexus 2 kickstarter?

Murk

Arcane
Huh, this looks like a more developed Faster-Than-Light, kind of.

I'd be down to try but donno about investing. If they can give more details and information; considering they seem to have functioning parts of the game already (unless the video's end is bullshit) then maybe.

So far it seems basically a diet version of warhammer 40k which... well, why not?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Like others have said, it sounds nice but everything from their experience to their goals and concepts is all over the place. Even if they somehow get funded I expect a bunch of mini games tied together in a mess, there's simply too many ideas to realistically make any of them any more complicated than a facebook flash game. I suppose at best they can make something along the lines of spore with progressing game stages, with each stage being shallow gamey fun.

Lhynn

Arcane
Like others have said, it sounds nice but everything from their experience to their goals and concepts is all over the place. Even if they somehow get funded I expect a bunch of mini games tied together in a mess, there's simply too many ideas to realistically make any of them any more complicated than a facebook flash game. I suppose at best they can make something along the lines of spore with progressing game stages, with each stage being shallow gamey fun.
they only need to make an improved star wolves, with some final fantasy tactics elements for land battles, cant imagine it being that hard.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
they only need to make an improved star wolves, with some final fantasy tactics elements for land battles, cant imagine it being that hard.
"Establish your ancestry and life-path in the prologue. Decisions made in the prologue will affect how the game plays out and your past may hunt you downEngage in a long, branching storyline where your decisions influence the story, and the fate of your crew, your ship and ultimately the MandateManage the micro-cosm of your ship;
See events unfold onboard your ship and deal with them in your way. Your ship is more than just a piece of machinery - it has it's own life. Interact with crew, officers, prisoners and visiting dignitaries.
You are the captain! Your word is law. Praise, scold, promote and decorate your crew. Honour the fallen. Conduct court martials and put saboteurs and rebels on trial for violating the Articles of War
Start with two empty hands and build up your power base. Expand your industrial might and establish science academies to gain the upper hand. Trade, seize or mine rare materials and construct mighty new flagships. Train elite shock infantry and field the latest latest sensor, shielding and weapons technologies."

Can't imagine them adding all that in a meaningful manner without vastly changing and improving the Space Wolves formula. Fair enough though, I wouldn't mind a more micromanagement version of Space Wolves even if it does come down to mini games, so I can see your point. There is after all a vast emptiness of those types of games. What I would really enjoy is something like Expeditions: Conquistador in space (including the exploring an unexplored 'land' part), where you replace Hunter's/ Soldier's etc with space ship variants which you can customize the look and function of as they level up/buy upgrades. Maybe have a main battleship cargo-hold type vessel, which serves as a mobile stronghold. I would big bucks to pledge for something like that.

Lhynn

Arcane
Those sound like stuff you can do in "The guild 2". Thatd be pretty neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom