Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a Fantasy-fag or a Sci-Fi-fag?

Are you a fantasy-fag or a sci-fi-fag?

• Total voters

DramaticPopcorn

Funny how there's a ton of good sci-fi novels but not much as far as RPGs go while it's the other way around for fantasy.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I voted Sci-Fi since I really like futuristic post apocalyptic settings.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
urmom is a fag

Also Sci-fi. Provided it's more sci than fi.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sci-fi through and through.

You'd think that fantasy should be much more imaginative, given that there's no limitations on what authors can do, but I find it to be the other way around. One proper sci-fi classic is oftenly packed with more wild ideas than an entire shelf of popular fantasy books. It's like fantasy authors have all these endless options available so they go with easiest route and everything ends up virtually the same, while sci-fi authors have to work around hard scientific limitations, and that pushes them to come up with creative solutions.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Bit o both really, depends on quality, then again when I were a nipper I were readin shit like Moorcock an other authors who did weird shit where you weren't sure whether it were fantasy or sci fi. Sorcerer scientists o Londra, nature o multiverse, an all kinds o weird shit that dint fit in any genre really. Nowadays fantasies got a bit too stale an basically caters to squeein renaissance fayre crowd, but then again in games they're both pretty shit an unimaginative, I mean just look at turds that Bioware shits out an fuckin retards who suck it up like ambrosia, dull, dumb an fuckin pedestrian.

---

Arcane
Surely sci-fi fag. I love everyting related to cyberpunk, while I'm not a big fan of post apocaliptic settings :obviously:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like Sci Fi literature more, but I prefer playing Fantasy in my video games. Couldn't tell you why.

funky_koval

Augur
Sci-fi(hard, space opera whatever) and am pissed at the lack of rpg's in the genre. There's just way too much fantasy shit.

Severian Silk

Black Company is criminally underrated overrated.

FTFY

I would have chosen Sci-Fantasy because a lot of older SF books are awkward and old fashioned, and a lot of the new stuff is pretty bogus and hard to believe. Also, while Fantasy can be ageless to a degree, there's a lot of crap, and most of the good stuff crosses over into SF at one point or another anyway.

I used to like Cyberpunk in the 90s, but it turns out the future is a lot more banal than the authors could have ever imagined. William Gibson never predicted Facebook, male enhancement pill popup ads and 4chan.

Also, Urban Fantasy usually sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Severian Silk

Such a shame. Fantasy can be so evocative, so powerful. Hodgson or Wolfe are completely mindblowing. Before I read Night Land I thought Lovecraft is the pinnacle of scary and eerie and uncanny. Lol, what a fool I was. Alas it seems we're stuck with magical artefacts and dragons and wizards in dark towers.
There is some Night Land "fan" fiction by John C Wright that is also pretty good. I had trouble understanding Hodgson's original since the language is so antiquated and he tends to ramble.

Last edited by a moderator:
So would 'A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court' type of story would fit more in the fantasy or in the sci-fi, especially if the protagonist is an engineer or a machinist that knows how to build shit?

Cadmus

Arcane
sci fi is more varied, fantasy is still tolkien at the end of the day
If only fantasy was still Tolkien. I like high fantasy, I don't like crap games and crap novels so that's difficult.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fantasy fag. Except for some of older books like Dune and Hitchhiker I never really got any chance to read any good scifi books, thus my lower interest on it.
A bit out of topic but if I want to get to scifi what should I read?

Sci-Fi, Fantasy, I love them all. It's just a matter of being a good book/game and making the most of fantasy or sci-fi. There are so many things you could do with both in video games. I keep imagining a game similar to Rendezvous with Rama, where you are a part of the team sent to investigate an alien spaceship (but without combat), and trying to figure out what everything is and making conclusions about aliens and its purpose based on your findings/theories. Or a sci-fi game about a dystopian future in huge (Judge Dredd-like) megapolises, where you are trying to make it in the slums. Or a fantasy RPG that's sorta like the open-world sandbox version of the Conan universe. There are so many things you can do, when will these companies start doing them?

Cadmus

Arcane
Fantasy fag. Except for some of older books like Dune and Hitchhiker I never really got any chance to read any good scifi books, thus my lower interest on it.
A bit out of topic but if I want to get to scifi what should I read?
I don't know much about anything but I think I, Robot from Asimov is a pretty good start. It's easy to read and pretty cool, too. It's a must-read anyway.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Sci Fi fan, never really gotten into fantasy due to the tropes (though science fiction suffers from its own tropes that become quite tiresome after a while).
Only a handful of fantasy media I really liked because the settings were so imaginative and the stories so unusual that it was basically alien even if the emphasis was on 'magic' or an analogue of that. So no tropes with elves, dwarfs, dragons, and heroes whose coming was foretold in prophecy.
One of my favorite examples in Planescape Torment.

In general I prefer golden age sci fi and some space opera but occasionally I also branch out to hard sci fi when I capable of wrapping my mind around it and the story is not a drag to read. (I like Alistar Reynolds but his books are sometimes a chore to get through)
For all its tropes I still like Star Trek but I have completely given up on Star Wars (okay, no science fiction, basically space fantasy) after Disney brought the franchise. (it was already on live support after Lucas came out with the prequels, only thing back then that saved it were the Jedi Knight games and the KOTOR games)

Sci Fi books I would recommend reading? Books by Heinlein (I liked The Moon is a harsh mistress, the Door Into Summer, Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers, the book is honestly not that fascist as the movie made it out to be), some by Niven (The Mote in God's Eye, Footfall, Lucifer's Hammer, Neutron Star short story collection, Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers, Tales from Known Space) though the quality has been seriously declining), Vernor Vinge (I recommend A Fire Upon The Deep), Frederick Pohl (the Coming of the Quantum Cats), Christopher Rowley (Starhammer, The Vang books, basically this is where Bungie stole most of their ideas from)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Sci Fi books I would recommend reading? Books by Heinlein (I liked The Moon is a harsh mistress, the Door Into Summer, Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers

More good Heinlein books: The cat who walks through walls, Friday, Number of the Beast.

My favorite sci-fi book series is probably Jack Vance's "Demon Princes", though I also like Dune a lot.

Gaymes: I like both, but still prefer sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff. Same for books and movies.

If they're mixed together -- eeh, well, it could work. But I'm yet to see a good example of that.

Star Wars is sci-fi and fantasy.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I prefer sci-fi on the whole, but there's not really any good sci-fi RPGs out there (the closest thing is probably Star Control 2). Oh what I wouldn't give for a well-done Farscape RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom