Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Are there any good, active turnbased MMORPGs?

Lurker47

Savant
Seems like a pretty obvious idea yet it feels strangely underrepresented.

Norfleet

"Turn-based MMORPGs".

How does that even work? How do you have people taking TURNS in an MMO? Do we all just end up waiting for the slowest player to take their turn?

Lurker47

Savant
"Turn-based MMORPGs".

How does that even work? How do you have people taking TURNS in an MMO? Do we all just end up waiting for the slowest player to take their turn?
Well, think about how a normal RPG works. If you're in a party, you could set up an order and if you aren't, whoever enters first is first in line.

There could just be a 30 second timer or something.

There was an ad for an old kid's game that reminded me of this idea (Wizards 101) so I was just wondering how many other games have tried to do it.

Grif

Learned
I'm not saying it's either good or active, but I remember this one saying it's turn-based.

https://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg

It is turn based. But I would not recommend it. The gameplay has been gutted by Ankama's strange design decision, and the fact it slipped away from the original sandbox philosophy towards a theme-park MMO style ala WoW. The community is already shrinking by the day.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
"Turn-based MMORPGs".

How does that even work? How do you have people taking TURNS at a table? Do we all just end up waiting for the slowest player to take their turn?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
"Turn-based MMORPGs".

How does that even work? How do you have people taking TURNS at a table? Do we all just end up waiting for the slowest player to take their turn?

That reminds me of me arguing with people when NWN (from Bioware, not the AOL one) was coming out. They all claimed that TB in a game with multiple players was impossible and unreasonable, and my reply to them about P&P RPGs seemed to get no traction.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The other turn-based Ankama game, Dofus, is still running after all these years:

https://www.dofus.com/en

I played it for a few months many, many moons ago, right when they were transitioning from the low-res original Flash graphics to a new client with updated graphics. Can't tell you much about it this many years on, but it is turn-based. Definitely a bit grindy, I do remember that, and also the turn-based battles can get a bit tedious at higher levels of progression; it does require good teamwork however, unlike modern MMORPGs in which you can solo everything or derp through with minimal team effort. At least, it used to.

Lurker47

Savant
The other turn-based Ankama game, Dofus, is still running after all these years:

I played it for a few months many, many moons ago, right when they were transitioning from the low-res original Flash graphics to a new client with updated graphics. Can't tell you much about it this many years on, but it is turn-based. Definitely a bit grindy, I do remember that, and also the turn-based battles can get a bit tedious at higher levels of progression; it does require good teamwork however, unlike modern MMORPGs in which you can solo everything or derp through with minimal team effort. At least, it used to.
Very interesting stuff, thank you. I swear I've seen the art before.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If I remember well it was P2W but pretty addictive. And its the closest to what the OP is asking for that I know of (if it still exists indeed)

bluntedsword

Barely Literate

Very interesting stuff, thank you. I swear I've seen the art before.
Their is a cartoon for Dofus and Wakfu, that might be why.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Doesnt Eve Online only update combat input with 1hz making it pretty much a turnbased game? Didnt play the game yet but whenever i looked into it the combat was always described as purely tactical.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Doesnt Eve Online only update combat input with 1hz making it pretty much a turnbased game? Didnt play the game yet but whenever i looked into it the combat was always described as purely tactical.

I'm an ancient EVE bittervet, played for six years and retired before I even registered here at the Codex... the cadence of EVE's combat would take far too long to explain.

I suppose if I had to boil down, I'd say: "Sort of." There's sort of a delay to most actions, and some actions take time to execute or complete, yet at critical moments you have to read your overlay like a programmer hyped up on cocaine and be ready to play the keyboard like a concert pianist.

It's purely tactical, but the tactics and preparation are pretty much done inside your head before combat even begins, with only small emergent details decided by the soloer/gang/fleet on the fly as things heat up.

If you go into combat in EVE (versus players) without knowing your ship's/gang's/fleet's capabilities and numbers and the general/expected capabilities and numbers of the enemy, then you've made a mistake and been ambushed/caught out or are too inexperienced to properly measure up the people you're fighting.

Yeah, it's tactical. There is no other computer game out there that gets a realistic war conflict feeling going on while you play. The trouble for most neophytes is the immense learning curve and initial time investment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom