Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are NWN Mod Tools Good For This Project?

Thread Title

• Total voters

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Specifically, I want:
  1. Good exploration
  2. Complex Dungeons
  3. Text-Parser Dialogue (esp for riddles and such)
  4. D&D-esque rules
  5. Ultima styled main quest
Would the NWN mod tools be good for this?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Exploration would likely be limited to map size, though not impossible. Complex dungeons would be hard to do, I think, but I guess it depends how inventive you are.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
To follow up on this, I used NWN from 2003-2015 while building and updating my currently running hall of fame persistent world, which just reached its 13th anniversary. I am pretty aware of the limitations of the toolset, but have also found many inventive ways to do new things within its boundaries.

If you need advice or assistance with that, feel free to ask me in a private message.

Wayward Son

To follow up on this, I used NWN from 2003-2015 while building and updating my currently running hall of fame persistent world, which just reached its 13th anniversary. I am pretty aware of the limitations of the toolset, but have also found many inventive ways to do new things within its boundaries.

If you need advice or assistance with that, feel free to ask me in a private message.
Thanks! I've already started working on a small dungeon crawl module to figure out how everything works and am having quite a bit of fun.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wait, which of persistent worlds is yours, Prophet?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It can be found under the Action tab. It's called "Hlontar Adventures." I started building it in 2003, went live in 2004 and have been online continuously since. Population isn't quite what it used to be and there are times when it is really quiet, but we have regulars who play weekly. These days, though, I doubt many NWN servers see huge traffic spikes unless they are really, really popular.

Wayward Son

ProphetSword, stupid question but the internet hasn't been very helpful. How do I put skill checks into dialogue? Specifically, I want to put a D.C. 25 Persuade check to up the reward for the main quest from 5k to 6.5k. I found the [A] button next to the text box, but it doesn't let me set the D.C. for the check, or the fail/success dialogue nodes. Thanks for any help.
Edit: Nevermind. Got it working thanks to Zed's wonderful recommendation of a tool for the Toolset.

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
When it comes to scripting, if you're not a programmer, find a tool called Lilac Soul's NWN Script Generator. It will generate scripts that you can drop into the game by just telling it what you want to do and filling in some blanks.

Wayward Son

NWN 2 has an Overland Map, like the Ultima series, just FYI.
Is it possible to get just the toolset? I don't want to spend money on another NWN game until I'm done with what I'm doing with this one.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
You can sometimes get NWN 2 Complete really cheap on GOG when it's on sale. Right now it's $19.99, but I have seen it for less than $5.

Also, why would you want the toolset without the engine? How would you test anything?

Wayward Son

Whatever, I'll save this project for later when I get NWN2 and work on making my current project in NWN's toolset.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom