Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ArcSys saving fighting games with Dragon Ball FighterZ

It's primitve as hell, onle ONE statistics (battle power) so it's all about mindless grinding.

Wonder if we'll be getting Kid Goku that rides around on the cloud and has the Power Pole? I'm almost surprised we're seeing characters like Hit (who I didn't even know was a character until this game) before characters like Kid Goku and Master Roshi.

I really hope this leads to Arc System Works doing a Jump crossover game like this.

Oh, and another video:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Somehow frenchies got themselves full game ahead of time and made this CMV

another game in which the one who knows the most overpowered juggles wins =_=
holy crap, when will i get another tekken 3 or samurai shodown 4? even mortal kombat makes more sense than this to me.

another game in which the one who knows the most overpowered juggles wins =_=
holy crap, when will i get another tekken 3 or samurai shodown 4? even mortal kombat makes more sense than this to me.

Juggles and huge air combos seem appropriate for a DBZ fighting game. I think a MVC-style system suits it pretty well.

That being said, I've never been particularly great at MVC or ArcSys games. The execution barrier for a lot of bnb combos are too high for me to call myself 'good' and something like Soul Calibur is more my speed. I still love them, though, and I've found these fighting games in particular to be great on a casual level or with people of the same skill level. I've never had fun in a training mode until I played MVC3, because coming up with crazy aircombos and figuring out combo extensions using assists or coming up with dirty setups was simply a lot of fun.

It doesn't hurt that the game seems like a real labor of love. Even the little story bits I've seen so far have been great:

I'm really looking forward to this thing.

Last edited:
The game uses Denuvo and Directinput isn't supported, so that's a big fuck you to a large amount of arcade sticks out there.

It took Capcom a year to patch in Directinput support for SFV, and people had to resort to ghetto shit like X360CE. It's amazing that this sort of thing even happens.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Despite all that, looks like this game is going to be the best selling fighting game on PC.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, clocked some time to this today, and it's pretty fun. It's definately more casual than BlazBlue or Guilty Gear, but that's not an all bad thing since that at least makes it better for getting random people to play.

The story mode is kind of interesting in terms of gameplay (story itself is pretty much usual Dragon Ball game fare rather than the kind of ambitious story content what Mori and Ishiwatari did; some of the character bits are pretty fun at least), since in terms of how it's played it takes after Abyss and M.O.M. That's kind of a different way to do things, and it's certainly fun to play in that sense. Or more accurately put, it's at least for now a kind of fun enhancer, since it gets you to try different things and learn different ways you can play with the characters, with that extra little reward element. We'll see how it goes further on, it's entirely possible it will get very tiring if things go on too long and if the challenge curve isn't done right.

Also Android 21 has them biggest titties in the franchise's history. I can't help but picture this as something that happened during production with Namco Bandai and Toriyama: "Alarm! Alarm! We have a serious issue with FighterZ production! The Arc System Works staff is COMPLETELY DEMORALIZED from working on a game that is this much of a sausagefest! They need to work on boobs, fast!"

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't think you quite appreciate just how much of a sausagefest FighterZ is, especially compared to ArcSys' own two series.

maybe i'm shallow, but i hardly notice and surely don't care about sexes quotas, all i see is people and characters. and fanservice, i notice that. android 21 is fanservice.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It is kinda weird they added in 21 instead of Videl. Maybe they have her planned as a DLC character down the line.

Can't really think of any other female fighters in the franchise that aren't total throwaways, unless maybe you count Chi-Chi, who wouldn't really fit the mood.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well I saw rumours that some new Super Saiyan chick from Super is planned early DLC.

maybe i'm shallow, but i hardly notice and surely don't care about sexes quotas, all i see is people and characters. and fanservice, i notice that. android 21 is fanservice.
You aren't thinking of the fanservice properly. This is Arc WAIFU Works standards we're looking at the sausagefest factor from, after all.

ArcSys themselves already made the joke about their games starting to look like eroge back with Continuum Shift Extend.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
giphy.gif

:shittydog:

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
The more i play it, the more i see a deep and fun game here. still too early to tell though, obviously. im having a lot of fun at least.

and christ, the production values are insane.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The more i play it, the more i see a deep and fun game here. still too early to tell though, obviously. im having a lot of fun at least.

and christ, the production values are insane.
ASW are king in the value department. Xrd has a mode that allows you to customize chars with crazy moves and mechanics, it's quite insane the work that must've went into it. Older games had different versions of chars with completely new movesets just for fun.
ASW is pure :incline:

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Yeah I own rev as well.

But this goes even a step beyond that which is nuts

Vaarna_Aarne

I hadn't kept close enough tabs in that regard, but I'm pleased to learn that character BGMs are actually in too besides the very good stage BGMs. Not quite as good overall as the soundtracks for BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, but way above norm.

ASW is pure :incline:
Fighting games in general have been the :incline: genre for a good long while now. The sidestepper scourge that left Street Fighter 3 an undeserved commercial failure and caused a slimming down of proper fighting games ultimately faded out from prominence. Starting with roughly at the start PS3 gen (some might say the sidestepper scourge was vanquished by Street Fighter 4 and Mortal Kombat returning to proper 2D; I'd say the start of good things to come was King of Fighters XI) it's been sweet living with all the re-releases and even if SNK never got the money they deserved at least ArcSys has done great pushing the envelope.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I want my Bloody Roar by ArcSys pretty please

But yea fighting genre is pretty decent all over the time. The genre really target the core audiences which are mostly hardcore players. Newer fans might be casual, but they still enjoy the e-sport side due to the insane level of execution needed by the pro.

The very few attempts on making the genre more accessible been a total flops, altho some games been adding "easy combo" control where you can spam button to looks cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom