Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ArcSys saving fighting games with Dragon Ball FighterZ

^^ Haters get left behind.

What is interesting is how they might handle in-game. It'll be interesting to see if someone like Krillin or Tien ends up being S tier based on their moveset or value as an assist.

Apparently krillin's destructo disc is unblockable, and he has some kind of tricky Holoduke attack. Piccolo has Dhalsim arms from the screens, but something tells me he won't necessarily be the same kind of keepaway character as Sim. I'm excited to see them in action. How does one actually sign up for the beta.

From what I'm reading, Krillin's assist is a senzu bean. And Piccolo has a hellfire grenade? I had to look it up

Will be interesting to see if they just balance the 'weaker' characters in the show by giving them great assist. I would prefer some of them be able to hold their own, canon be damned, but I'm still excited to see what we get. There will still probably be characters like Dr. Doom in MVC3 who's top tier on point along with having some of the best assists in the game. But hell, part of the fun of 3v3 games is how broken they can get, and I don't expect Arcsys efforts to turn out any differently.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Krillin's actually decently powerful in the canon (sic Tournament of Power arc in Super). He is actually the strongest of the humans besides maybe Tenshinhan.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DKoIHbmVwAASSJw.jpg:large

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Previous videos have sort of hinted at it, but just as a confirmation ArcSys is including great music as usual (particularly refreshing to me since recently in fighting game terms I've been bored by the utterly forgettable and energy-less tunes of Injustice 2):

No idea if Ishiwatari is involved with even just the music, he did previously say he and Mori aren't involved with FighterZ.

Nathir

Liturgist
Of all things, the potential harbinger of incline is a dragonball game. Strange times we are living in.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh it's not a harbinger of incline. Fighting games have had it good for a while now, ever since during the last console era when the "3D" sidestep-fighter went out of vogue and Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter (albeit in case of Capcom, the laziest comeback too) staged big comebacks, but much more importantly ArcSys decided that they're going to do things never done before with the genre, culminating first in a fighting game series that not only had top-notch gameplay but also a top-notch story with BlazBlue (funny thing there is that Injustice 2 apes the Drive system, except its Character Powers are nowhere near as interesting and wild on any level as Drives) and then after they got the IP back bringing back Guilty Gear and showing that there are graphics that are the best money can buy, and then there are graphics that are made by ArcSys.

What the case with this game is really just ArcSys taking its time to show lazy-ass Capcom how it's done.

Nathir

Liturgist
What I meant is how Dragonball games are usually terrible and boil down to everyone playing the same, and playing the game just to see each super and unlock all the characters. Now it looks like we are getting a very good DB game, with Capcom shitting the bed with what used to be the most popular FG franchises. But I know what you are saying and agree with you.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Said it before and I'll say it again, I Hope DBZF will make serious bank and allow ASW to destroy capcom in the following years, assuming capcom keeps declining the way it has.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh Capcom isn't going to lift a finger if they can still make dosh from selling something that genuinely isn't finished or even on par with any real standard but "90's repackage" like they did with Street Fighter 5. Being lazy is easy when suckas pay you anyway.

What I meant is how Dragonball games are usually terrible and boil down to everyone playing the same, and playing the game just to see each super and unlock all the characters. Now it looks like we are getting a very good DB game, with Capcom shitting the bed with what used to be the most popular FG franchises. But I know what you are saying and agree with you.
Well, you know how it usually is with licensed games. Though I do say that I rather liked the idea of the Xenoverse games with make-your-own-character, it's just that those games never quite went far enough with the possibilities and wasted too much time with online shenanigans and grinding.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

MINIMUM:
Processor: i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 4GB
DirectX: Version 11

"16 GB RAM"

:notsureifserious:

lightbane

Arcane

DBZ Budokai 3 and Tenkachi 2 and 3 were quite okay and fun to play IMO. T3 had lots of content, for not to mention some characters were quite unbalanced (on purpose though, a young girl who can't barely fight vs Perfect Cell is not a fair match). These games also had some interesting mods.

Nathir

Liturgist
Yes? Not sure if you noticed but the vast majority of characters in this series fights exactly the same way. Jiren looks like a grey face alien with a star trek suit on. And is just boring to watch, with no interesting powers. If we are going by fighting ability I'd take Dabura and his stone spit any day, and he also looks cool af.

that's unfortunately true, dragon ball is only power creep in the end, if you take looks away every opponent is just the stronger version of the previous one with comparable skills and they're beaten only because the main character became "stronger" in misterious ways, not because they became better.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Dear lord, Bamco just reared its ugly head again, it seems.
- $60 for the base game.
- $35 for the season pass that includes 8 as of yet unnanounced characters.
- $110 if you want the above but with a steelbook.
- $150 for a collector's edition that does not even come with the season pass.

So if you want the complete package you can shell out 95 bucks, and if you want a collector's edition that is actually complete, expect to cough up 185 bucks.
This is just ridiculous.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
then it should be easy to put jiren in game instead of adding a new android or lame Yamcha
Even with Super airing, I'm pretty sure most of the audience would sooner have Yamcha than Jiren. Despite his uselessness after Dragon Ball (even then...), he's still more iconic and liked.

Most requests I'm seeing are from Z. Where's Mr.Satan? Where's Ultimate Gohan/Great Saiyaman, etc? Little to nothing from Super (except Hit). Probably less for Dragon Ball (crime) and less from GT (thank god).

Nathir

Liturgist
then it should be easy to put jiren in game instead of adding a new android or lame Yamcha

Yamcha isn't lame. He's iconic, one of the original companions and has some potential as far as moveset go. That's a terrible comparison. Nappa would have been a better one.

But yeah you are right, there's nothing stopping them. I'm pretty sure if the suits at Toei want to push him and have the data of his popularity/likeability, he's gonna make it, probably DLC though. Hit and Beerus I feel are more popular and have a better chance for the base rooster.

I'd buy it in a second if it wasn't distributed by Bamco. Since it is, no buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom