Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Arcen's The Last Federation - 4x in space from Ai War's creators. Out now!

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Your favorite quick development hit-or-miss Arcen Games, of AI War fame, has released their latest 4x game with turn-based combat.

TLF_Logo_2.jpg

Features
  • Turn-based tactical combat, with up to 5 factions competing at once.
  • Extremely deep simulation of an entire solar system and its billions of inhabitants. Even just watching everything unfold in Observer mode is entertaining, as nations rise and fall.
  • New-player-friendly ramp-up of complexity as you play, which you can disable if you're already a veteran.
  • Eight races each have very distinct personalities and attributes. Each one even has its own completely unique political system.
  • Difficulty levels split between the grand strategy and turn-based combat portions of the game, both ranging from quite casual to incredibly hardcore.
  • Save and reload your game with ease any time, or tough it out in ironman mode.
  • Composer Pablo Vega's best soundtrack to date, featuring 54 minutes of music and the vocal finale "Lay Down Your Arms."

I don't always play their games but for sure I'll buy them at full price for support. The results may be hit or miss but as a fellow developer I wholeheartedly support and respect their philosophy of fast development.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'll probably give it a whirl, but yeah they are very hit or miss. A.I. War is pretty great/insane for an RTS and also presents a wonderful challenge. Multiplayer games against a hard AI are amazing.

Also that trailer, haha wow :what:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
OK am i being crazy here or does that Trailer music remind anyone else of a sped up Das Boot score?!

Mortmal

Arcane
Sooo....any good?

Surprisingly good, arcen games are either so so or great , this one fall in the latest category .It starts with an easy streamlined tutorial but more and more option opens up for you to forge your federation. Ton of otions indeed to raise your status with race or damage them from technology gift to backstabing stuff like murdering their senate or bio terrorism ... I love it .

Feels like a bit like space ranger or drox operative but with a deeper strategic layer , its an odd turn based system you give move order to navigate through the sea of ship armadas missiles and projectiles(think like AI war) trying to not get too much damage and select weapons according the things you want to destroys . Switching to best weapon to destroy hull for example. Plus a batch of limited use action like calling a mercenary fleet or sniper ships.

Not spend enough time yet but i cant see what could go wrong , its only 10 euros on Humble store , or on that shop selling prepacked dosbox games to morons, GOG that is .

Hobo Elf

Arcane
While I don't really appreciate how much of a clusterfuck the combat looks like, its pace is fast enough so that it doesn't become a drag. I just wish the bigger battles were much clearer than the bullet hell combat they that they are. The game is really deep though and there's a lot of cool shit you can do. It's really fun how all the races behave differently and you really have to think about your actions because everything has a consequence. Giving the wrong technology to the wrong race can tip whatever razor's edge balance you had going and can end up with the total annihilation of all the other races. Haven't played a game with this good C&C in a while.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Could you guys describe this game a little more, from the trailer it looks like a clusterfuck of fuck and cluster.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's a game that has all the depth of a proper 4X game but instead you play as a singular pilot who is trying to unite all the races, or unite the ones you like and destroy the rest. Combat is only one small part of the game so if it looks shit then there may be hope. You don't even have to fight ever if you don't want to. You can just help develop some warlike races with the best technology and sic them against the races you don't like, or you can try hard to make everyone like each other and create a harmonious federation. But you aren't ever forced into a battle and some battle scenarios have some other peaceful solutions.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You're basically a space illuminati who meddles in the affairs of various races towards some percieved grand goal. It's very interesting but I'm as of yet undecided on wether or not it is actually a good GAME.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Seems like Space Rangers, except you are a 3 headed traitor hydra having wet dreams of unifying galaxy (actual game plot). So far first impressions are meh, especially combat part, will give it another chance, perhaps game is much deeper then what it seems at first play...

God i wish for a good Space Rangers clone...

KoolNoodles

Arcane
According to Steam, it has at least been in the top 15 in sales the past couple days, so good for them.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
They will be adding weekly new features (mechanics and content) and a possible expansion in coming months. GODDAMN IT. Now I have to wait to play.

Seems like TotalBiscuit sold the game too well.

Today is the first day of us releasing at least one new free feature every DAY at this point, thanks to the overwhelming support this game has had. Seriously, this is now our best launch ever, and we're extremely grateful to our ever-growing community for their support, as well as to the press for taking the time out to look at our stuff.

After this week, we'll continue putting out at least one new free feature every week for at least a few months, if not longer. A quest, a new weapon or ability, a new ship, a new action... something. We'll vary it up, and make it fun. I'm really excited about expanding the game even further, as large as it already is. Right now we're doing that very fast in response to all the huge numbers of new players and all the things that a larger audience is bound to dig up in a game of this scope and complexity; once that settles down, we'll make it less intensive but still ongoing.

aleph

Arcane
Man, this game sounds like it could be great but I have neither the time nor really the money right now for it.

please explain more on the "drox operative but with a deeper strategic layer" subject: this game somehow piques my curiosity, enough i could outright buy it, but i thought drox operative was a snorefest, crap as a shooter, with crap loot and crap diplomacy.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'd advise people to "try the demo" *cough*, before they buy. I don't see the game appealing to every strategy fan. Some people won't like the combat. It gets extremely chaotic, and at times even boring if you are under/over powered. There's no auto-resolve. Now, that can be mitigated by not fighting, and choosing other options but I can see people not liking the combat system.

Another element that might throw people off is that it's extremely data heavy. There's a lot of text and explanation throughout the game. A ton of figures and numbers thrown at you. If you are the type that likes solving problems and thinking about numbers and effects for several minutes before deciding any action, then you will be right at home. If you get frustrated by not having transparently good/bad choices available you might not like this game. For instance, in a game of chess, there might be three or four "right" moves to make at any given time(sometimes just one, but you get my point), whereas in this game it feels like there are dozens of choices and sometimes none of them feel like the "perfect" one because time marches on and you're always missing out on something.

It's a really interesting approach to a game I think, especially because you as a player cannot control everything. Things feel very muddled at times, and sometimes you feel powerless even after making some "good" choices. It's like being the ultimate "neutral" ambassador in a game of Diplomacy, except that if you screw up all your deals then the other players start sending assassins after you.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
Well, it looks interesting enough. Thanks for the info guys. Although, now I'm conflicted between buying this or waiting for the Wealth of Nations DLC for EU4.

aleph

Arcane
I'd advise people to "try the demo" *cough*, before they buy. I don't see the game appealing to every strategy fan. Some people won't like the combat. It gets extremely chaotic, and at times even boring if you are under/over powered. There's no auto-resolve. Now, that can be mitigated by not fighting, and choosing other options but I can see people not liking the combat system.

Another element that might throw people off is that it's extremely data heavy. There's a lot of text and explanation throughout the game. A ton of figures and numbers thrown at you. If you are the type that likes solving problems and thinking about numbers and effects for several minutes before deciding any action, then you will be right at home. If you get frustrated by not having transparently good/bad choices available you might not like this game. For instance, in a game of chess, there might be three or four "right" moves to make at any given time(sometimes just one, but you get my point), whereas in this game it feels like there are dozens of choices and sometimes none of them feel like the "perfect" one because time marches on and you're always missing out on something.

It's a really interesting approach to a game I think, especially because you as a player cannot control everything. Things feel very muddled at times, and sometimes you feel powerless even after making some "good" choices. It's like being the ultimate "neutral" ambassador in a game of Diplomacy, except that if you screw up all your deals then the other players start sending assassins after you.

This sounds quite great. Also, I don't think you will find many people on the Codex who dislike a game for being too complex.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, it looks interesting enough. Thanks for the info guys. Although, now I'm conflicted between buying this or waiting for the Wealth of Nations DLC for EU4.

Dont bother waiting for that DLC unless you want to make a donation for Paradox. Im a huge fan of all things made by Paradox but their DLCs for EU4 are not worth buying at all, you get the important stuff for free anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom