Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Butthurt Arcanum Vs Fallout.

Which is the better game? Arcanum or Fallout?

• Arcanum

Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Fallout

Votes: 124 72.1%

• Total voters

Starwars

Arcane
Arcanum is a posterboy for "less is more" I think. While the size of it can be alluring, there's so much useless shit shoved in there that it actually hurts the game. I still love the game overall but it fucking annoys me as well because it could've been so much better if they had focused it more.

Fallout is a better game I think.

Excuse me, too much useless shit? I haven't had such an euphoric moment in years, as when I dug through trash cans in Arcanum for my technologist.

On that note, Arcanum should be played as a Technologist, that is the real experience.

I don't mean the crafting system when I mean too much useless shit. I mean the fucking combat areas filled to the brim with shitty monsters to fight or the endless boring random encounters.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Arcanum is a posterboy for "less is more" I think. While the size of it can be alluring, there's so much useless shit shoved in there that it actually hurts the game. I still love the game overall but it fucking annoys me as well because it could've been so much better if they had focused it more.

Fallout is a better game I think.

Excuse me, too much useless shit? I haven't had such an euphoric moment in years, as when I dug through trash cans in Arcanum for my technologist.

On that note, Arcanum should be played as a Technologist, that is the real experience.

I don't mean the crafting system when I mean too much useless shit. I mean the fucking combat areas filled to the brim with shitty monsters to fight or the endless boring random encounters.

I agree, but the problem here isn't that they are filled to the brim with shitty monsters. The problem is that the combat is badly designed and downright boring. If the combat had been better designed and more fun, it wouldn't have felt like endless boring encounters. The fact that Arcanum get so much praise, even with such a bad combat system, just shows how good the other parts of the game are.

Leitz

Learned
Everything except the writing in Arcanum is badly implemented, hell even the steam punk elements. The melancholic faggots put their claws deep into this overration. Fallout 1 on the other hand does everything right. Is this even a question?

Arcanum is like Planescape Torment; I didn't like both. Read a good novel if you want nice writing Oke?

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Everything except the writing in Arcanum is badly implemented, hell even the steam punk elements. The melancholic faggots put their claws deep into this overration. Fallout 1 on the other hand does everything right. Is this even a question?

Arcanum is like Planescape Torment; I didn't like both. Read a good novel if you want nice writing Oke?

The world in Arcanum is much more alive and nothing in Fallout comes even close to Tarant. The travel systems in Arcanum are awesome (trains, boats, etc), what do you have in Fallout? The crafting system is one of the best crafting systems in any RPG, it's phenomenal. The fight between Magic and Technology is a unique and interesting twist, especially the fact that there are consequences (A mage can't ride on the train, a Technology character won't be able to buy from mage vendors, or complete certain quests). The quests in Arcanum are lightyears ahead of anything in Fallout, you won't find anything in Fallout even close to the Gnome/Ogre quest line. While the followers aren't perfect, they are so much better than the ones you get in Fallout. The story is better, the dialogues are better. The character creation is awesome (a ton of backgrounds) and the dumb dialogues are hilarious and very well written. Every single race in the game is unique and you'll see consequences based on what race you pick. It's not just about the stats anymore, it's also about the way people act towards you, try playing a half-orc.

Arcanum have flaws, and some of them are massive (Combat), but the things that Arcanum does well, it does a lot better than Fallout.

Arcanum suffered from its time, I feel. It has been a lesson as much as a warning.
Don't forget publisher interference like multiplayer and real-time combat.

Am I the only who mind-faps at imagining squad-based turn-based Arcanum done right?

Eh, if anything Arcanum is too long for its own good.

I agree, the game would have been better if it was just Shroudded Hills, Delnholm, Tarant and Caladon as cities, and a few, more focused dungeons. I like travelling to Tula, Vendrigoth, etc, but it unfocused the game too much.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I do believe that Fallout is the more complete game, and when we look at average, it's the better game. But the things that Arcanum do well, it does a lot better than Fallout in my opinion. I'm going to use an imaginary example and compare Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment to explain what I mean.

Planescape Torment : 310%

Story - 130%
NPC's - 110%
Combat - 30%
Gameplay - 40%

Baldur's Gate 2 : 315%

Story - 80%
NPC's - 75%
Combat - 80%
Gameplay - 80%

So Planescape Torment have amazing story and NPC's, but Baldur's Gate 2 is the better game when you look at the entire product. I feel that it's the same when we compare Fallout and Arcanum. I have both Fallout 1, 2 and Arcanum in my top 10 list and love all three of them, but I feel that Arcanum had a lot more potential, it just wasn't completed. Does this really come as a surprise when Tim Cain made both games, and he made Arcanum three years after Fallout 2?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Voted Fallout, but both are past the thresold of awesome, where comparisons are meaningless because you just have to play both.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

No, you must play with mage and only use Harm and then cry that the game is shit and boring because you only use one spell huuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I agree, but the problem here isn't that they are filled to the brim with shitty monsters. The problem is that the combat is badly designed and downright boring.
Better combat and encounter design would've improved things a lot, but the pacing of the game is still a bit off. FO's encounter design and combat aren't anything special either, but each area of the game serves some kind of a purpose and is fairly compact, so the game achieves a very good balance between dialogue, combat and exploration. There are some longer dungeons, but combat is usually a relatively minor part of them, and they're filled with backstory and all sorts of interesting stuff that makes them unique and something you want to explore. In Arcanum the long and repetitive dungeons really tend to overstay their welcome and detract from the best parts of the game (i.e. the non-combat parts), and they could've been trimmed down a lot without losing anything of value.

Plus, the sheer amount of stuff to kill makes playing a gunslinger more tedious than it probably should be, at least in the early game, although I must give Arcanum some credit for being pretty much the only game in existence where I've actually felt that throwing weapons (and secondary weapon skills in general) were a good investment.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah Fallout is probably a better game, and personally I think its one of the best designed games in existence, and Arcanum benefits from doing a lot of things in the Fallout manner. As a narrative experiment I think Arcanum pushes boat out further, does some shit that Fallout wouldn't dream of, and pulls off some real fucking shockers. Not often that games even try and shock you anymore, Arcanum blew me away several times, and yet it was all (like Torment) clearly signposted and hinted at throughout. I'd say that the character design was better in Arcanum as well, Fallout you were too powerful come end game in too many things, Arcanum got that balance just about right even with the Ancient Gods quest.

Cthulhu_is_love

The only real way to play Arcanum is as a gunslinger (no melee at all).

:0-13:

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????????

I'm terrified now.:(

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Shit poll is shit...

That's like saying you wanna get rich and fuck hot bitches or get punched in the nuts while getting a blowjob through a glory-hole with spikes and leeches

Fargus

Arcane
Fallout 2 > Arcanum > Fallout

Because content

This. Arcanum and Fallout 2 are equally great games to me. Fallout 1 is just... meh.

When i replayed F1 some time ago i was disappointed. It took me 16 hours to beat it and i tried to do all quests i could, but there isn't much to do.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
In terms of the overall package I am going to go with Fallout. Fuck the length haters! Give me girth!

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neither is party based so they're both shit. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom