Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

T. Reich

Arcane
OK, guys and gals, I'm putting things on hold with UAP 2.0, Race Mod and everything else. Maybe I'll get back to it in another 10 years. Ha.

This is just too time consuming and not very rewarding at all. It's become a meme, very few people here actually play Arcanum, it's mostly just "look at this guy making Arcanum mods for 10 years". Yeah, I don't wanna be that guy. Guess I'll just go back to playing my Steam backlog.

But seriously, guys and gals, so many things have changed during the last decade, Arcanum is probably truly dead. I'm staying in touch with the Multiverse guys, and what do you know, the reason they stopped posting updates is because their project leader is feeling exactly the same, i.e. very few people care about Arcanum beyond "oh I remember that game" and "good job, maybe I'll play it again for 5 minutes with your patch". So seems like that project is up in the air too.

Oh, and I'm 30 and don't have as much energy for all this shit as back then, so this excuse to quit is as good as any.

And there I was looking forward to replaying Arcanum with a cool new patch some time soon.
:betrayed:

PrettyDeadman

teach me how to do it or write a guide how to do it and i do it.

RavenWolf

Barely Literate
I recently reinstalled arcanum when hear of multiverse edition, Apply the mod and started to enjoying this great game, then read about the upcoming UAP 2.0 and i decided to wait for that version to get the best experience (I even register in the forums for add some suggestions). Also i was very enthusiastic about the rebalance mod, Im even get the modding tools for arcanum and did some experiments myself.

I know how you feel, im also modding an old game for some years now, and only few people still is still interested on such mods. So i often take long breaks after regain motivation to work on it again.

So, before quitting, could you at least release what you got so far for UAP 2.0?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Did you expect a huge audience, Drog?
Yeah I always dreamed about busting my ass off so that nobody would appreciate it. Thanks for the demotivation!

I mainly blame (((Infinitron))) for this, why inXile/Obsidian fanboy decides what goes on the front page and what not is beyond me.
Back in the day there was a 100 page thread for the UAP alone and all this shit used to get news posts. I messaged Infinitron when the new high resolution patch was about to be released, politely suggesting that maybe this deserves a mention in the news section. He didn't deign to respond. Oh well, I guess the endless Kickstarter/Obsidian/InXile updates are more important than some old ass shitty Troika game.

teach me how to do it or write a guide how to do it and i do it.
Sure, here you go. Start with Cheat Engine, move onto OllyDbg and/or IDA when you git gud at this shit. God speed!

Anyway bros, my coming back to patching Arcanum after 9 fuckin' years of absence was kinda like T2 Trainspotting. Yeah you get all the same people doing kinda similar things. There's a huge rush of nostalgia at first, but eventually you understand that the spark is not there anymore. The world has moved on, and the characters are all "too old for this shit".

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did you expect a huge audience, Drog?
Yeah I always dreamed about busting my ass off so that nobody would appreciate it. Thanks for the demotivation!

It actually was a sincere question, didn't plan to demotivate with it further... Anyhow I do agree your work could have used some front page news, being it Arcanum and all.
But dude, stop being salty. Get your act together and finish your work!

Now the Dex will think you're a whiny little bitch who need attention.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Exactly why I'm not gonna bother. Why should I slave away for a bunch of entitled cunts?

This place used to be different. It was actually founded by Arcanum fans, the same people who founded Terra-Arcanum. It was p much a Troika fan site. And now it's just a shit posting version of reddit.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Exactly why I'm not gonna bother. Why should I slave away for a bunch of entitled cunts?

This place used to be different. It was actually founded by Arcanum fans, the same people who founded Terra-Arcanum. It was p much a Troika fan site. And now it's just a shit posting version of reddit.
Understandable. Well do it for the small group that still care. Continue the work at T-A (pretty much dead there, I know)
Well I still am grateful for what you gave us and hold no grudge against you throwing in the towel.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Back in the day there was a 100 page thread for the UAP alone and all this shit used to get news posts. I messaged Infinitron when the new high resolution patch was about to be released, politely suggesting that maybe this deserves a mention in the news section. He didn't deign to respond. Oh well, I guess the endless Kickstarter/Obsidian/InXile updates are more important than some old ass shitty Troika game.
Infinitron
Care to comment? Why didn't you post news about it but you're shitposting news about Pathifinder, PoE 2 and inXile games? Why didn't you even respond to him?

OracleX
Just stop posting, please.

PrettyDeadman

Pathfinder will be The new arcanum. At this point we should be readying ourselves to recreate arcanum in pathfinder engine, I am sure drog will be in avangard of such movement.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

But seriously, guys and gals, so many things have changed during the last decade, Arcanum is probably truly dead. I'm staying in touch with the Multiverse guys, and what do you know, the reason they stopped posting updates is because their project leader is feeling exactly the same, i.e. very few people care about Arcanum beyond "oh I remember that game" and "good job, maybe I'll play it again for 5 minutes with your patch".

I might simply be that since we all experienced the previous Hi-Res patch already, many people are simply waiting for updates that change the gameplay/content before firing everything up again (same might apply to Multiverse to a degree). I know for sure that's the case for me, I was planning to wait for the Combat Overhaul mod and then play only Arcanum till the end of my days. Actually, I had started playing again Arcanum with Multiverse, and stopped when I learned of the possibility of the Combat Overhaul mod (and have been spending that time daydreaming instead).

Anyway, I feel it would be unfair to put pressure onto you, even though my kitten just committed suicide by Rottweiler upon learning of the cancellation of the Combat Overhaul mod. Regardless, thanks a lot for all your work, and my kitten as well would thank you if only it were still alive!

Durwyn

Prophet
I was just to lazy to write a post to support your effort Drog. Since You've promised so many cool features (Pure TB mode ?) I've postponed my next Arcanum playthrough. I hate You for teasing us and leaving blueballed but also understand. Oh well, maybe Ruskies will deliver something good afterall.

tred

Augur
That's very, very unfortunate, but I understand.
Thank you for all your hard work Drog, you're a legend already.
If you ever need help with anything, feel free to pm me.
:bro:

SDeden

Novice
j

It has been my observation that gifted people usually have some noticeable character faults and I think this is yours. I wish you the best and I hope that the way it is manifesting here, in the online community, as it has in the past, is the greatest extent of its manifestation.

It's totally normal to have a bunch of new ideas, then when you get down to getting things done you realize its way more time consuming and that you don't have the patience and time to re-discover everything you forgot. Hardly whiny bitch modder syndrome.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Phew, at least that takes away the burden of remaking the main menu image that I've put on myself. I was totally gonna do it.

Anyway, :salute: Drog.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Infinitron
Care to comment? Why didn't you post news about it but you're shitposting news about Pathifinder, PoE 2 and inXile games? Why didn't you even respond to him?

Because the site is now an Obshitian fan-site.
Or moar like a Sawyer fan-site. FFS at some point there was a news post about how Sawyer is THINKING of making a historical RPG. Such pathetic fanbotting and ass-licking is really the stuff of prestigious sites, we are finally in line with the likes of IGN and Kotaku.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Will you release the changes already made?
I suppose I could release a lite version of UAP 2.0, basically new engine features (mostly follower related, but also includes a restored Troika's cheat mode, etc), new bug proof Extra Animations Pack + various assorted bug fixes.

It would be a big pack with HQ Townmaps and HQ Music etc all bundled in.

Race Mod is still unfinished (have to go thru all dialogs and scripts that check for race, which is tedious and time consuming) so I'll have to cut it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Race Mod is still unfinished (have to go thru all dialogs and scripts that check for race, which is tedious and time consuming)
If it's mainly checking for some keywords maybe we could help you with that somehow? You just need to tell us what to look for. Unless it's not that simple. And AFAIK The Brazilian Slaughter Brazilian Sergio tred aren't as computer illiterate as me so maybe they could be useful to you.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Race Mod is still unfinished (have to go thru all dialogs and scripts that check for race, which is tedious and time consuming)
If it's mainly checking for some keywords maybe we could help you with that somehow? You just need to tell us what to look for. Unless it's not that simple. And AFAIK The Brazilian Slaughter Brazilian Sergio tred aren't as computer illiterate as me so maybe they could be useful to you.
Well, you'd have to add some new things, e.g. say there's a character that gives a special line of dialog for half-orcs. What should happen if the player is a full blooded orc? Maybe the original line is ambiguous enough so that we can use it verbatim. But if not, then we'll have to think of something new.

There's probably around 20-30 NPCs in the game that check for race, I've already fixed all the game breaking ones, the rest is just flavor, like e.g. Gar (checks for half-orcs and reminisces about the fact that orcs are treated badly in this society, we can use that line verbatim, his dialog is recorded anyway), all of bordello characters (both Nicholas and the girls) give special lines depending on your race, dark elves near the elven ruins give a different response to elves, same goes for Virgil commenting on the fact that you are (not) an elf like the great Nasrudin, etc.

I can just make a search for the race check in dialog files and build a list of all files that need checking/fixing and then fix that all in an evening or two. Hmm, doesn't sound that bad when I put it like this, lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom