Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcanum and Quest for Glory 1-5 released on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Activision; Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Quest for Glory; Quest for Glory I: So You Want To Be A Hero; Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire; Quest for Glory III: Wages of War; Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness; Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire; Sierra Entertainment; Troika Games

Activision have unexpectedly released a treasure trove of legacy titles on Steam, which were previously only available on GOG. Most of them are classic Sierra adventure games, but they also include Troika's Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, which was published by Sierra back in the day, as well as all five games in Sierra's own wonderful Quest for Glory series of adventure/RPG hybrids. And yes, that includes both the EGA and VGA versions of Quest for Glory 1. The prices are the same as GOG's - Arcanum for $6 and the Quest for Glory Collection for $10. If you don't already own them on GOG, or if you're obsessive about your Steam game collection, these games come highly recommended. I wonder if these releases bode anything for the future of Activision's ill-fated nu-Sierra initiative.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh it's just one of many games that they released. Might as well say they're making Caesar V.

deuxhero

Arcane
That actually got released? I heard shit about it when details were first announced and then nothing

SerratedBiz

Arcane

qfg1024141280jpg-37b8a7_1280w.jpg

It took me a while to find the damn opening in the original PC Speaker instead of the fugly MT-32 version, dang.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I saw you uploaded that on Youtube, but honestly the MT-32 is to the original music like applying that pixel softening (antialiasing?) is to EGA graphics - ie, it's just smudging, and it sucks.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm actually playing Arcanum now for the first time. Well...the first time that I plan on finishing it at least. I just reached the Isle of Despair.

It's simultaneously one of the best and most aggravating games I've played in a long time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

And now let's see what Amiga hackers can output on a PC SPEAKER beep boop device:

... well shit.

I know it's a bit off-topic but I had to share this... this isn't a joke, by the way. I had a PC speaker and Pinball Fantasies. It seriously DID THAT on your beep boop speaker thing. Hax? You bet. These Amiga coders were grade A hackers the likes of which we'll never see working on games again...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
And now let's see what Amiga hackers can output on a PC SPEAKER beep boop device:

... well shit.

I know it's a bit off-topic but I had to share this... this isn't a joke, by the way. I had a PC speaker and Pinball Fantasies. It seriously DID THAT on your beep boop speaker thing. Hax? You bet. These Amiga coders were grade A hackers the likes of which we'll never see working on games again...

That is not a 100% accurate rendition of the PC Speaker output.

Sure, it sounded like there was a soundcard in the machine when there wasn't one, but with the speaker being a dented tin can attached to a string. It was muffled and slightly distorted, but it was still miles ahead of what the PC Speaker normally did.

A few other games used the same tech, like the Spellcasting series from Legend.

I remember the first time i played Space Quest...

When i was stupid little kid, my older brother told me that my family have bloodlines of the royal Ninjas of north japan (or something like that shit!).

So... I believed him, Even when he told me that because of my bloodline, I have the power to move through walls.

One day, He locked me up in my room, So it was a great opportunity to try my new ability - Moving through walls.

I closed my eyes, tried to imagine my body float like a black ninja through the wall and land (safely) on the other side.

Then, I took a deep breath and ran as fast as i could toward the wall.

The collision was so powerful that I blacked out...

Two days after the hit, I was still unconscious... Floating in space.

WHAT A GREAT GAME!!!!

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
That is not a 100% accurate rendition of the PC Speaker output.

Sure, it sounded like there was a soundcard in the machine when there wasn't one, but with the speaker being a dented tin can attached to a string. It was muffled and slightly distorted, but it was still miles ahead of what the PC Speaker normally did.

A few other games used the same tech, like the Spellcasting series from Legend.

The early Access Software Tex Murphy games used it, too. Which was great except that I had a Sound Blaster card and Mean Streets ONLY used that patented RealSound through the PC speaker.

Dragon Wars also played digitized samples through the PC speaker.

Desur

Educated
Patron
BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Are there any differences between the Steam and GOG versions of Arcanum? I got the bundle for 20$ and am wondering whether there is any reason to install the game on Steam and import my save files rather than just stick with good ol' GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom