Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum and Fallout on tablets, anyone?

Deleted Member 16721

Hey folks!

For today's little tidbit I am bringing you news about a GREAT app on Android called Exagear RPG.

You may or may not have heard, but Exagear RPG allows you to play classic RPGs such as Arcanum, Fallout, Might & Magic 1 through 6 and more on Android.

It is an Android app and is simple to setup. All you do is install it, copy your game folder from your PC to a specified folder on your tablet or phone, and boom, you're in business.

Now, these games will work with touch controls and on-screen hotkeys. I have only tested Arcanum thus far but it works great!

The catch is, you have to purchase the various control schemes for each game. It's free for a few days, though. A little bit of a weird payment model, yes, but you can do what I did and subscribe to all the control schemes for $1.99 per month. Of course, if you have the money you can just purchase the control schemes you need and be done with it.

Right now only a few games are supported, but supposedly many other games may work as well. If you get a game working, please share with us which game it is and what control scheme you are using!

Here is a link to the app on Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eltechs.erpg&hl=en

There is also an app called Exagear Strategies that allows you to play classic strategy games. Pretty cool, right?

Anyone playing this or tried it in the past? I'd love to get Temple of Elemental Evil working with it but haven't had success yet.

Ciao!

- Fluent

Deleted Member 16721

So exagear is kinda like GemRB, but for tablets?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with GemRB.

Exagear essentially gives you touch-screen control formats, and then you apply them to the various games. However, I haven't had any luck trying a few different games that weren't officially supported.

The officially supported games work great. Perhaps others will test more games and try to get more games working with the control layouts.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh. I can run Fallout on my tablet through DOSBox and that's good enough for me.

Also:
ad_plant.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nope, they don't work great. Touch screen controls are still touch screen controls and they're just not right for mouse&keyboard games.
And performance is really bad unless you have a new device. I assume at least that it would work better on a new one, I don't have one to test.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm using an Nvidia Shield tablet, which I believe is the fastest gaming tablet on the market. It runs fine on my tablet, minus the intro stuff. I believe the videos in-game run fine.

I tested Arcanum a bit but it worked fine for me. Of course, your mileage may vary if you're looking to speed run the game or something. It's a bit slower in the sense you have to touch everything. But it works well enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom