Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Aquanox Deep Descent

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806010995/aquanox-deep-descent

https://www.aquanox.com

https://af.gog.com/game/aquanox_deep_descent?as=1649904300

If you're interested in Archimedean Dynasty (aka Schleichfahrt) or Aquanox, this campaign of my colleagues could be worth a look:

About this project
We, the Aquanox Development team, consisting of Digital Arrow and Nordic Games, want to bring back the Aquanox-series. We have a joint vision on how to re-imagine the uniqueunderwater gameplay of Aquanox and you can help us shape that vision. With your help we can create a game unlike any other out there, and you can truly impact the development of the game early on!

cb21028a475e064ad00e3290a186564b_original.jpg

Aquanox Deep Descent is a re-imagining of both the gameplay and world of the originalAquaNox-series, taking into account the scientific advances made since the first game. Like its predecessors, the game will be an underwater vehicle shooter, in which players control a variety of customizable ships to engage in submarine battles in the dystopian deep sea world of Aqua.

a5ca7d9eee48032ef3b0c12c2134fbc6_original.jpg

c314d61272588db955baa5d018517545_original.gif

Kickstarter Campaign

Last edited by a moderator:

Inspectah

Savant
Looks pretty cool.
My only nitpick would be that I'd prefer an Archimedean Dynasty style of dirty underwater future, instead of the neon clean one shown in the gif

Venser

Erudite
I have first 2 Aquanox game just sitting on the shelf, never played them. Remember the first Aquanox was the best looking game at a time it came out and it was always used for graphical benchmarks but it received quite average reviews.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Wooot - they go for kickstarter now? Hadn't expected that...

Inspectah

Savant
So, what are the chances of this being funded?
I don't really follow this kickstarter thing, so I don't know how hard it is to get to their goal.
About 20 days to get 70k sounds like not a lot of time

tormund

Arcane
I have first 2 Aquanox game just sitting on the shelf, never played them. Remember the first Aquanox was the best looking game at a time it came out and it was always used for graphical benchmarks but it received quite average reviews.
I played a bit of Aquanox back in the day. It was little more than a flashy tech demo. As a game, it was clunky and annoying, and also pretty simplified compared to Archimedean Dynasty.

Severian Silk

IIRC Aquanox was a bitch to get working with your game controller or joystick. I was never able to play it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
>Stretchgoal: Stations become fully walkable for the player character in an isometric view, instead of being presented in a static view.

It sounded great until "isometric view". I'm not a fan of mixing 1st Person view (ship) with isometric view (stations). Furthermore what specifically bugs me is, that they say "isometric view" and not "3rd person view". Isometric view can mean that you still have a static 2D screen and walk your character around in that screen.You know... exactly like in these old isometric RPGs with invisible walls/zones to define your walking area etc.

I hope they don't mean that and it's just a wording mistake...

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
About 20 days to get 70k sounds like not a lot of time

It's just a promo-kickstarter - with graphix like these and two teams (even if small) working, 70k don't mean shit. And those studios are kwan, right? Or even european, even. For studios like these, 70k is one artist's yearly salary (on the average). So yeah.

I kinda started to despise all this kickstarter bullshit - it's the same sleazy marketing over and over again, just under the guise of being independent and stuff.

:Flash:

Arcane
None of those guys had anything to do with Massive Development. They call themselves "The Aquanox Team" in order to fool people into thinking they were the developers of the originals. Those are simply guys hired by Nordic to create a sequel to an IP acquired from the JoWood bankruptcy mass (similar to how Hobgob's Grimlore Games was hired for Spellforce 3 - but at least they don't call themselves "The Spellforce Team").
It's also the reason this is Aquanox and not Archimedean Dynasty: Aquanox was published by Fishtank / JoWood, whereas Archimedean Dynasty was published by Blue Byte, thus the rights most likely belong to Ubi Soft today.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Why did they not evaluate interest 1 year ago, when they announced this project? When it was "hot". The funny thing is, back then I would have pledged... but meanwhile I totally lost interest in this type of game. Maybe it's just because I'm not into dogfighting games anymore, now preferring slower or turn-based games. Also Aquanox 2 was shit. Not-supporting means however, that the whole underwater genre could disappear...

Perkel

Arcane
None of those guys had anything to do with Massive Development. They call themselves "The Aquanox Team" in order to fool people into thinking they were the developers of the originals. Those are simply guys hired by Nordic to create a sequel to an IP acquired from the JoWood bankruptcy mass (similar to how Hobgob's Grimlore Games was hired for Spellforce 3 - but at least they don't call themselves "The Spellforce Team").
It's also the reason this is Aquanox and not Archimedean Dynasty: Aquanox was published by Fishtank / JoWood, whereas Archimedean Dynasty was published by Blue Byte, thus the rights most likely belong to Ubi Soft today.

It's not like Aquanox was anything crazy to go about... I mean i don't think people gave a shite about first two games beside being good GPU benchmark years ago.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ok, here's another one:
There will definitely be cyberpunk elements in the game, just like in the originals; basically in the game characters have Augmentations and Implants; Implants are subtle additions to the human body (like the throat-implant of William Drake); Augmentations are bigger elements, more cyberpunky, for characters that don't care how they look, as long as they have an advantage technology-wise;

Augmentations for characters? I don't get that. This is a submarine game. I only expect "augmentations" for submarines. But for characters? What is this shit?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
They should just concentrate on excellent, hand-crafted mission design, ass-hard combat and no-saving/no-health in-mission. Don't bore me with this cyberpunky Upgrade nonsense. All this shoehorned RPG and open-world shit is starting to get tiresome, and really is just a cover for the designers laziness/inaptitude.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The publisher that funds ELEX cannot come up with a lousy $75k on their own.

Something's fishy here.

It's not about the money, but to check how many actual Aquanox fans are still out there. KS is a proper tool for market research. If you can't address your target audience through KS, probably the demand for such a game isn't there anymore.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ok, if this is the case why don't they create a KS for ELEX? I'd like to see how much pull this POS has.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pledged. Archimedean Dynasty was great fun. The world needs more underwater games. :salute:

Has spekkio been informed?

made

Arcane
Say what you will but you have to commend the audacity of a man who's not afraid to put Arcania on his resume.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) If they make it, it's gonna be shit.
2) I may torrent it at some point, but it's not very likely.
where is your AD patch. I'm digitalizing my DOS collection forevermore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom