Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I guess we have nintendo to thank for this too.

Fortunately it seems like they are already migrating to another website called the retro zone.

In the meantime one can easily find ancient dos and windows games on the oldgameru and the archive.org websites.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/08/the-iso-zone-no-longer-offers-rom-iso-downloads/66574/

The legal ban-hammer has been dropping on emulation and ROM sites over the last couple of months like a giant bag of fetal viscera being dropped into a trash can out behind an abortion clinic. The hard-hitting legal sweep through the emulation community has now reached a long-running site called The ISO Zone, which used to host lots of ISOs and ROMs of games from previous generations.

If you attempt to visit any of the download links on TheISOZone.com, you’ll be met with the following notice on each page that used to contain links to the ISOs.

HKlUMsg.png

This comes shortly after LoveROMS and EmuParadise both shut down their ROM download sections as well. The former did so after being sued by Nintendo, while the later likely did so to avoid being sued by Nintendo.

There’s a chilling effect taking place across the internet, where a lot of the old ways are being struck down and castigated by the unwavering axe of litigious, corporate barons. All those who don’t relent with quailing discretion are subject to the legal cleaving being done by the butchers and executioners in gray suits on the legal teams trotted out by technocrats.

With ROMs and ISOs no longer being offered by some of the old guard of the emulation scene, these websites are quickly becoming tchotchke relics of an old and bygone era of the internet.

Welcome to the future.

[Update 8/17/2018: Some of the ISO collections and archives from The ISO Zone are being moved over to The Retro Zone. According to a post in late June, there’s a new community being built on The Retro Zone.]

(Thanks for the news tip Anon)

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah what the hell, both sites are dead like a hope in humanity.
They should drop all Nintendo garbage, other companies give almost no fucks about old stuff.
And IsoZone was the best source of rare PC games that you wouldn't find anywhere else beside maybe 1-2 sites?
Update 8/17/2018
yep, month later and it's still dead

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i been using (((p o r t a l r o m s))) for 3ds/nds/snes/wii/n64 needs. i put it like that so it doesn't show up on surface searches. hell, right now p o r t a l is the only site i know with a good stock of nintendo links. I also use it to get most psp/ps1 crap.

for wii U and ps3 I use one called (((i s o s l a n d))), u have tor egister for that one first but it's no biggie.

Maybe it's all because another miniconsole?

Not very long ago they sold Spyro or Crash as REMASTERS, now they'll sell them once moar as RETRO.

People=sheepz

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Nah, I heard these microconsoles were succesful because they got expensive rare games on them and people would love

Actually, who goes to TIZ for console games? There are other sites for that. But old rare PC games? Beside TIZ and old-games I don't remember any. And don't say "torrents" because nobody would bother with some obscure crap.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-awarded-12-million-rom-sites-lawsuit/

Back in July, news broke that Nintendo had filed lawsuits against Jacob Mathias, the owner of the ROM-hosting sites LoveROMs.com and LoveRetro.co, as those sites had been hosting unauthorized Nintendo games for others to download and play through an emulator. Now, Mathias and his wife have been ordered to pay the gaming giant more than $12 million in damages.

A final judgment by United States District Court Judge Jennifer G. Zipps in a federal district court in Arizona has awarded Nintendo $12.23 million, with both parties responsible for paying their own legal fees.

According to TorrentFreak, Jacob Mathias and wife Cristian Mathias admitted that hosting the two websites “constituted direct and indirect copyright and trademark infringement, which caused Nintendo irreparable injury.” Furthermore, the two must relinquish all emulators and Nintendo games in their possession, and as requested in Nintendo’s original lawsuit filing, the rights to both websites will be transferred to Nintendo as well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
FFS at least IsoZone would avoid that crap and not put Niny garbage C&D baits on their site
but noooo they had to do it, and pay the price
idiots
Best source of ultraobscure PC games that never come back, neither GOG or original owners care/remember them, all thanks to the consoles.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FFS at least IsoZone would avoid that crap and not put Niny garbage C&D baits on their site
but noooo they had to do it, and pay the price
idiots
Best source of ultraobscure PC games that never come back, neither GOG or original owners care/remember them, all thanks to the consoles.
They had a backup and lost it sort of, but Retro Zone is slowly getting back its catalog.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you need a walkthrough, Retro Zone is the revival of IsoZone. It was going to be released sooner but thanks to some internal sabotage (no, really, one of the people that had control over the website just went awol) the database that held all of the games/links to them were deleted from the site and they had to work from scratch + an old scrape of all the old links.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
and as requested in Nintendo’s original lawsuit filing, the rights to both websites will be transferred to Nintendo as well.

Do I smell an upcoming money making venture by Nintendo?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Should be more money in it than PC retro gaming.
I have the impression that a lot more of the old PC gamers of my roughly my own generation "grew up" than the Nintendo crowd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom