Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aporia: Beyond the Valley - upcoming first-person puzzle game

Boleskine

Arcane
I saw this in upcoming Steam releases. It looks similar to Obduction.

The mystical world of Ez’rat Qin - once a mighty civilisation, now a crumbled ruin.

You awake after hundreds of years of sleep, in an abandoned land and no memory of your past. Immersed in this world of dark beauty, thrilling mystery and ancient puzzles, you embark on a quest to find out what happened in this world, and to discover who you are.

Aporia: Beyond The Valley is a first person puzzle game set in the world of Ez’rat Qin. Explore a world filled with strange nature, ancient technology, and haunted by a spirit roaming the fog-covered forest. With a whole new story and puzzle mechanics, Aporia: Beyond The Valley presents players with the challenge of actively exploring and piecing together a non-linear story of what happened in this mysterious world. Aporia: Beyond The Valley brings a unique approach to the art of storytelling, by not using text or dialogue. It offers new, interesting puzzle mechanics, and elaborate environmental storytelling within an immersive world.

Key Features -
  • An immersive, detailed world created in CryEngine
  • Explore a story about humanity, technology and civilization told without text or dialogue. Uncover clues, devise theories, and make up your own mind.
  • Avoid traps and solve brain twisting puzzles made to make you question what happened in The Valley.
  • Explore bizarre architecture and overgrown nature, choosing your own path in the game’s non-linear world.
  • Completely original musical score.
  • Full controller support
ss_7803b2e2f245be2780a277094627f83306d3a3a3.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2ab716e0fcfe4b15b4ca7e0943f58325c9709f6b.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8aec939cea22b19ba8c9f6563a6e720836e73418.1920x1080.jpg

ss_a1ac8ad653507928dfa98511f501fe61362e9df5.1920x1080.jpg

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/aporia-beyon...ormer-whose-rich-story-is-told-without-words/

Aporia: Beyond the Valley is a gorgeous puzzle platformer whose rich story is told without words

By Joe Donnelly an hour ago

Sometimes less is more.

oCfC3MoQPFW5PhC3HcK2aV-650-80.jpg

I have an obsession with exploration. No matter a game's genre, size or structure, I feel compelled to inspect every inch, nook and cranny with meticulous curiosity—to the point where demos that're otherwise engineered to last an hour take me close to three times that to complete. This was the case with the opening section of Aporia: Beyond the Valley: a one-time university project-turned-fully fledged puzzle adventure game that marks the Copenhagen-based Investigate North's debut project.

Hollywood figure Ole Sondberg—the producer of both Swedish and English versions of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and the Nordic Noir television series Wallander—is on board to help steer the direction of the game's narrative, and, having spent a short while exploring its themes of ruined civilisations, ancient technology and supernatural entities, I'm keen to find out where it goes next. Most interestingly, Aporia relays this grandiose tale without the use of dialogue or text.

And that's its hook. Games like Myst, Portal, Quantum Conundrum, The Talos Principle and Ether One have spent years refining the universally applicable systems associated with the puzzle adventure genre, and Aporia is no different. By way of player-activated tapestries triggered by a runic cylinder obtained at the game's outset, the player steadily uncovers a forgotten culture and leverages the mysterious new found tool to overcome ancient contraptions and forge pathways forward.

H9uMmghoxsUGU5Bg9JNQNb-650-80.jpg

As if paying deference to the rules of the genre, these conundrums at first cater to the player's understanding with benevolence—actively encouraging exploration as you move from the game's dark and cavernous opening area onto a sun-kissed elevated platform and then downward to a forested riverside trail. Each vista is as stunning as the last and with each passing puzzle you gain momentum and, crucially, confidence.

This is short-lived, though, as set pieces steadily require more thought in turn. Often, locked doors require players locate a series of free-standing columns that, once interacted with, open new paths to otherwise inaccessible areas. In the process, your glowing baton doubles up as a key and a torch to aid exploration, but you'll want to make sure you've enough juice to power each gateway should you want to avoid combing through the landscape for hidden refills.

Then again, scouring each zone while soaking in the view is part of what makes Aporia special: each roadblocking puzzle is set against a soothing, lovely-looking backdrop which serves as an inadvertent reward for your withstanding perseverance. One such trail led me to a towering treehouse-style encampment wherein I quickly began second guessing the correct pathway, which catwalk marked the way forward, and what ladder I was required to climb or descend to press on. While clambering around the treetops, I had a few head-scratching moments and the occasional: how the hell do I get from here to over there?

FyC8MJpPNCTEfnyunHxfsd-650-80.jpg

During these instances, I was reminded of Portal, and there were even elements of Mirror's Edge to my playstyle as I adopted a parkour approach when all else failed. Like any puzzle game worth its salt, however, each of Aporia's 'Eureka' moments so far outweigh any prior frustration, something that's underpinned by rewarding players with more backstory following each puzzle's successful completion.

One particularly enjoyable puzzle towards the demo's end fused exploration with acuity as I was made to uncover a contraption's missing gizmo in an adjacent underwater tunnel. I had to then decipher some hieroglyphic-style markings before unlocking a tri-bolstered doorway, the sum of which hinted at the direction and difficulty of Aporia's set pieces beyond the section I played. To this end, this newly unlocked door led me to an altar-like area wherein an otherworldly force began shaving off my health bar—which was the first time this had occurred to this point, besides my occasionally mistimed treehouse mountaineering—as I remained rooted to the spot.

Unfortunately shortly after this encounter is where the demo ends, which is a shame because it also feels like the exact juncture the game opens up—both mechanically and thematically. Nevertheless, I'm confident Aporia: Beyond the Valley is on the right track and, should it keep this momentum going, could well cement itself among the top puzzle adventure games of the longstanding genre.

The ways in which it blends exploration around its stunning scenery with intuitive yet challenging puzzles is thus far expertly done; and having barely scratched the surface of its wordless, dialogue-free, Nordic Noir-inspired, Hollywood producer-aided story I'm keen to find out more.

Aporia: Beyond the Valley is due to launch July 19—look out for our interview with Investigate North and Hollywood producer Ole Sondberg tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom