Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Apocalypse Now RPG by Monty Markland - terminated with extreme prejudice!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

:what:

Directed by MLMarkland with Josh Sawyer as an adviser.

8ee613f72900b8d3fdb647241f7953d5_original.png

Francis Ford Coppola is excited to announce the game adaptation of Apocalypse Now directed by Montgomery Markland, executive produced by Lawrence Liberty and written by Rob Auten.

The game will be an immersive, psychedelic horror RPG from the creators, designers, directors, writers and producers of Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Everquest, DC Universe Online, PlanetSide, PlanetSide 2, Star Wars Galaxies and many more classic games.

This team of game development veterans have come together and obtained the approval of Francis Ford Coppola to bring Apocalypse Now to a new generation as a game.

We want your help because the traditional game publisher system won't let this happen.

But you can Make It Happen.
85d06d9f4d0f95345b798cceb719a7cc_original.png

844d027dfc5bb9d04eb42100f06fc0c8_original.png

Prototype Teaser to be revealed soon!
688f76d18f23dd23674185221569afec_original.png

5755ac9d4bb8675b36553b725c17b3ab_original.png

12495c4de5a5a07b8236525f387e7aef_original.jpg

A cross-disciplinary team of AAA game developers, motion picture professionals and Interactive creatives are coming together to create a truly unique experience.

2360c53b9ca3cbf6d2ad0b9325fea791_original.png

For the first time, fans can experience this psychedelic vision of Vietnam as originally presented by legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola.

6632f1162cffc86d121e061fd5d881e3_original.jpg

In order to maintain the creative freedom and integrity that this daring and intense tale demands, the project is being financed outside the traditional video game publishing system.

c44042178f5bce95dd3c61267c90f288_original.png

We want the support of backers like you to make this vision a reality.

9b49d937cb33303e813123382665e1f3_original.jpg

54db95544756fdd1de252369126fc4d9_original.png

f24b92f9f88821cc41d6899cdd49244d_original.png

Apocalypse Now depicts the horror and spectacle of the Vietnam War through the character of Captain Benjamin Willard, an American tasked with the assassination of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz.

61327b4857c45a5488e29ddb03f920d7_original.png

The game is an interactive recreation of Willard’s journey, as seen through a survival horror lens in which players with limited resources face unspeakable terrors.

d229c7d52545db642791ad5e03c5898b_original.jpg

By choosing how to react to these situations, each player molds a unique version of Willard within the loose confines of the film story. You are Willard and your actions will determine his fate.

3f264207b30e911665c526bf3003f174_original.jpg

Your mission begins in Saigon, where Willard is holed up in a dingy hotel. Audio and visual distortion evoke Willard’s emotions and past experiences. The game provides you subjective access to a character who is already nearly insane.

a22cc95f247813dd6304ea94898648de_original.jpg

Unlike a traditional RPG, the emphasis is not choosing dialogue, but rather actions and postures. Combat draws from survival horror to emphasize combat avoidance and stealth. This is not Call of Duty in Vietnam.

b7a047c500750a646c32668e6a691d0b_original.jpg

You will quickly learn that the gun-blazing solo war machine of other shooters would not have lasted long in the real Vietnam. Instead you will find rewards for proceeding cautiously and managing limited resources with care. Willard is your responsibility; make him an adept soldier and you will command respect in the jungle.

98903bf221702944b58068d916f3b5ba_original.png

Brutalism and hubris will bring about severe repercussions affecting your relationship with those around you, especially the crew of the PBR Streetgang (aka the Erebus). Your actions can endanger or empower them and will affect how they view you and their willingness to aid you.

75a291cb3304404ced6d0b68e7c242f6_original.jpg

There is also a war of resources. Food, water, first aid supplies, anti-malaria medicine, drugs, ammo, weapons, mission information, and gasoline are all vital to your and Willard’s success. While in U.S.-controlled territory, you can find resources through exploration, interactions with allied forces, completing side missions, scavenging from hostiles, and supply drops.

603718508915d105dab14bd0a905c82d_original.png

Once the Erebus crosses under the Do Lung Bridge, the reigns of control are sheared away. American influence is replaced by something more primal, all ending in Kurtz.

0a13d971eeff3e79ace1ee722f65ba22_original.jpg

The world of Apocalypse Now is full of compelling, disturbing, and potentially useful characters. You will recognize many of them from the film, but we’ll be adding new ones in collaboration with our partners at American Zoetrope. Our goal is to immerse you in a tale of drama, magic, and horror.

Interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/apocalypse-now-is-becoming-a-first-person-psychedelic-horror-game/

Last edited:

Mustawd

Is.....this for real? Looks like a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Durwyn

Prophet
Dat soundtrack strech goals...

I initially thought that it's a scam with some movie frames for added credibility... then I saw Sawyer in the pitch...

So we get a Banner Saga Kickstarter, possible PoE2 Figstarter and this at the same time? Kinda strange. Also the projects reads like some kind of mix between Telltale "adventure", The Forest and, er, stealth elements? Sounds like a really strange mix. Also thematically this came out of nowhere.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Originally conceived in the wake of Aliens: Crucible cancellation (Rob Auten was in charge of Aliens game for 20th Century Fox before focusing on writing, Larry, Sawyer and I all worked on Aliens together and Larry and Sawyer on FNV obv).

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I was watching someone play through a really shitty game today on Youtube, I was in a masochist schadenfreude mood that was satiated very nicely, but one aspect of the game did spark a sense of wonder in me with regards to this thread: How about an RPG which includes sailing down a jungle river on a small boat. Instead of trawling through tunnels and fields to get to the next area you gradually sail towards your stop-off points, Apocalypse Now style. The sailing mechanic has been very underused over the years but is a wonderful way to get a sense of exploration and wonder.

Me and mah big mowf.

Edit: where's my kickback... :roll:

jaydee2k

Savant
..._„„„„¸_...…………………………._¸„„„„_
./'.……¯'*~--„…….…………...„--~*'¯…….'\
Ì'ì\,.…_¸„--~~-„)…………… („-~~--„¸_….,/ì'Ì
...'\¯"¯-¸: : : : : ¯"^-„¸….¸„-^"¯ : : :¸-¯"¯/'...
…"-,„„¸/' : : : : : : : ¸„„-^"¯ : :: : : : '\¸„„,-"......
**¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^*'"¯ : : : : : : : :¸-"..........
.:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :„-" "^-„.:.:.:.:.
:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯ : : : : .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.::.
:.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~"¯~-„„¸; : : : : : : : \' : : '.:
:.:.:: :"-„""***/*'ì¸'¯. . . . . . . . ¯'¸ì'*\***""„-": ::.:.:
:.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\ . .Brothers. . /": : : „-": : : : :'.:
.:.:.: : : : :" : : : : \, . . .In . . . ,/ : : : : ": : : : :.:.:.
: : : : : : :, : : : : :/ . . Arms. . . \: : : : : :,: : : : : :

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I was watching someone play through a really shitty game today on Youtube, I was in a masochist schadenfreude mood that was satiated very nicely, but one aspect of the game did spark a sense of wonder in me with regards to this thread: How about an RPG which includes sailing down a jungle river on a small boat. Instead of trawling through tunnels and fields to get to the next area you gradually sail towards your stop-off points, Apocalypse Now style. The sailing mechanic has been very underused over the years but is a wonderful way to get a sense of exploration and wonder.

Me and mah big mowf.

Edit: where's my kickback... :roll:

You meme'd this into existence. Welcome to the lolographic universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom