Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apocalypse Bugout

Latro

Arcane
At present you can change radio stations while driving to hear emergency broadcasts, evacuation reports, bluegrass music and news readers
Will you be doing some in-character radio programs like something out of Vampire Bloodlines? You have a great voice for it.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Also, will this come before or after PLUGH?
Can we expect any other Golden Era blobber in the foreseeable future or will Grimoire v2 be the culmination of the genre?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
At present you can change radio stations while driving to hear emergency broadcasts, evacuation reports, bluegrass music and news readers
Will you be doing some in-character radio programs like something out of Vampire Bloodlines? You have a great voice for it.

Definitely. I was going to do the shortwave survivalist lunatic preaching hellfire and reptilians. I thought it would be fun. I might do some news broadcasts as well. I have a VOX synthesiser to change my voice pitch and sound.

Bohr

Arcane

Definitely. I was going to do the shortwave survivalist lunatic preaching hellfire and reptilians. I thought it would be fun. I might do some news broadcasts as well. I have a VOX synthesiser to change my voice pitch and sound.

Hype intensifies :dance:

Citizen

Cleve, do you play synths?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It's not coming out.

ITZ COMING faster than Hawaiian lava

No better place to be than to go out in the road in trunk pants and stand in front of the lava flow. Because it isn't moving fast enough (now) to possibly be a danger to me. There's no way that those tons of lava could possibly suddenly shift or cascade over and engulf me before I could walk away with my cell phone in my hand.

Looks like a scene out of Mike Judge's IDIOCRACY.

Just one of the distinguishing characteristics of Western people that has enabled them to mysteriously succeed outrageously over their competitors is something called CONSCIENTIOUSNESS. To be aware of what is happening and to be able to reflect on your current behaviour and to see consequences of your decisions and actions.

agris

Arcane
Patron
yeah a small pocket of pressure that exceeds the yield point of magma (wtf that is) and that guy could have easily had 700C+ marble-sized chunks of magma, which has a significant heat capacity I should add - so it isn't cooling down until it nestles into the back of your spinal column, shooting at him.

makchanka

Arbiter
What do you get when you merge 6 year old Unity code from CORPSE CREW into a full fledged FPS with first person driving on randomly generated evacuation highways, zombie siege mechanics and full factional fighting against flame throwing hazmat corps, crooked national guardsman, infected death squads and survival crafting and resource management?

The Mexican border?

as a taco-zombie, I take offense. I am suing you for hate crimes against subhumanity.

No better place to be than to go out in the road in trunk pants and stand in front of the lava flow. Because it isn't moving fast enough (now) to possibly be a danger to me. There's no way that those tons of lava could possibly suddenly shift or cascade over and engulf me before I could walk away with my cell phone in my hand.

That's not even the most likely scenario that could get him killed. He says at 2:00, "Thank goodness the wind isn't coming this direction." Yes. Thank goodness something as fickle as the wind is deciding whether or not I can continue breathing.

Just one of the distinguishing characteristics of Western people that has enabled them to mysteriously succeed outrageously over their competitors is something called CONSCIENTIOUSNESS. To be aware of what is happening and to be able to reflect on your current behaviour and to see consequences of your decisions and actions.

This is reductionist to the point of nonsense. I love it. When is this appearing in Grimoire as an attribute? You could collapse int and wis into this stat.

Last edited:

disposable

Novice
Well shit, I gotta go into autism mode again.

That's not very dangerous at all, lava doesn't dash.
It won't speed up until it reaches a steeper slope. If eruption at vent becomes more intense it can start going a little faster eventually but it won't be a sudden charge.
There really is no way a broad flow like this could "cascade" or "suddenly shift", it doesn't move like a turbulent avalanche.
These 'a'ā flows behave a bit like a caterpillar track, they're pretty predictable. All the solid chunks that are being carried to the front sit on top of the flow, you can see them coming and you'd know if any dangerous ones were about to fall.

This is all relatively low viscosity lava so it loses gas easily, away from vents there are no "pockets of pressure". It's viscous magma that traps gas and causes volcanoes to build up pressure and then blow up. On the other hand thin magma makes for mostly calm lava flows, this is the basic difference between explosive and effusive eruptions.
Hawaiian volcanoes rarely erupt explosively. Volcanic bombs could pose a threat in the immediate vicinity of vents but this type of volcanism produces few of those bombs. Most vents would also be surrounded by a lot of lava anyway so it would be hard for anyone to get close enough to get hit by debris.

Maybe the most dangerous thing would be a sudden explosion of steam if it gets trapped underground when groundwater comes in contact with magma. Once it's on the surface though even contact with water isn't catastrophic. For example formation of fresh pillow lavas is gentle enough that divers can get right up to the advancing front to take samples with basic hand tools.

Sudden wind change might be dangerous, it could carry toxic stuff like carbon monoxide. However in calm weather air will always rise above hot flows drawing a cool breeze towards lava.
This upward draft should take the hot and nasty stuff with it and give you enough time to move away in case of minor wind change. A storm could immediately blow it all in your face but, well, when a storm is coming you see it coming. Additionally Hawaii is known for persistent trade winds.

Guys in these videos aren't doing anything particularly dangerous or stupid. Unless you believe they will be punished by angry Pele or Hephaestus the outraged comments are unwarranted.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This is all relatively low viscosity lava so it loses gas easily, away from vents there are no "pockets of pressure".
What's the viscosity of lava entrained with debris? Because based on the flow front from those videos, that shit is moving like honey.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
Well shit, I gotta go into autism mode again.

That's not very dangerous at all, lava doesn't dash.
It won't speed up until it reaches a steeper slope. If eruption at vent becomes more intense it can start going a little faster eventually but it won't be a sudden charge.
There really is no way a broad flow like this could "cascade" or "suddenly shift", it doesn't move like a turbulent avalanche.
These 'a'ā flows behave a bit like a caterpillar track, they're pretty predictable. All the solid chunks that are being carried to the front sit on top of the flow, you can see them coming and you'd know if any dangerous ones were about to fall.

This is all relatively low viscosity lava so it loses gas easily, away from vents there are no "pockets of pressure". It's viscous magma that traps gas and causes volcanoes to build up pressure and then blow up. On the other hand thin magma makes for mostly calm lava flows, this is the basic difference between explosive and effusive eruptions.
Hawaiian volcanoes rarely erupt explosively. Volcanic bombs could pose a threat in the immediate vicinity of vents but this type of volcanism produces few of those bombs. Most vents would also be surrounded by a lot of lava anyway so it would be hard for anyone to get close enough to get hit by debris.

Maybe the most dangerous thing would be a sudden explosion of steam if it gets trapped underground when groundwater comes in contact with magma. Once it's on the surface though even contact with water isn't catastrophic. For example formation of fresh pillow lavas is gentle enough that divers can get right up to the advancing front to take samples with basic hand tools.

Sudden wind change might be dangerous, it could carry toxic stuff like carbon monoxide. However in calm weather air will always rise above hot flows drawing a cool breeze towards lava.
This upward draft should take the hot and nasty stuff with it and give you enough time to move away in case of minor wind change. A storm could immediately blow it all in your face but, well, when a storm is coming you see it coming. Additionally Hawaii is known for persistent trade winds.

Guys in these videos aren't doing anything particularly dangerous or stupid. Unless you believe they will be punished by angry Pele or Hephaestus the outraged comments are unwarranted.

Maybe but they are a great place for your neighbor or wife to dispose of you if they don't like you, or just for kicks.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
That is interesting and all but what about Grimoire 2? Or a Lovecraftian themed turnbased RPG?

I think my main priorities now are :

1. Grimoire V2, Fini, Sealed, Done, Forever (En route now)
2. Apocalypse Bugout
3. As-yet untitled RPG based on classic dying earth story
4. Grimoire II

"PLUGH" will go in mothballs because I just could not get up a head of steam for it after working on it for a little while.

I'd be happy to have just the first one 2 years from now. Thx

disposable

Novice
What's the viscosity of lava entrained with debris? Because based on the flow front from those videos, that shit is moving like honey.

It depends on its mineral composition but I don't know the exact values.
Most often you'll see it described in comparative terms relative to silica content, it's the most important factor though not the only one. More SiO2 generally means more viscous magma.
I've found some graphs that place viscosity of basaltic magmas (common for Hawaiian volcanoes) usually somewhere between 10 and 200 pascal-seconds but I don't know how reliable these numbers are or how they relate to lava with debris in surface flows.

GandGolf

Augur
Didn't Cleve claim that Neanderthals were capable of swimming in molten lava completely unharmed? Or was it just him that could do that?

Citizen

Didn't Cleve claim that Neanderthals were capable of swimming in molten lava completely unharmed? Or was it just him that could do that?

Anyone can. Saps are just too afraid to try. And 'thals are capable of swimming naked in a super-dense mass of fusioning hydrogen, so they just do not bother with lava.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Can't wait this neanderthal blood and testosterone charged game by 2030!
In all seriousness this looks like shovelware, but interesting shovelware. The radio and civil defense things look like the most Cleve stuff possible. I love it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So how is Apocalypse Bugchaser coming along?

You shouldn't hold your breath.

Well, if it's not done by 2040 nor Grimoire V2 and its manual, we'll know Cleveland Mark was another Alien's abduction victim.

Of course, he'd fight them off, alone and barehanded, pursue them to their home-world, destroy them all and come back victorious.
No time for that programming crap, though, you can't be a hero and a successful game developer.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
31577-out-of-this-world-amiga-screenshot-prepping-experiment-for.gif

31582-out-of-this-world-amiga-screenshot-arriving-on-an-alien-planet.gif

Cleve is currently engaged in being the savior of an alien civilization. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom