Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

APB Reloaded Reloaded

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The original Grand Theft Auto MMO, APB, tanked on its first release in 2010. A new publisher rejuvenated it for a while and then it apparently tanked again. Now a new new publisher, Little Orbit (mostly known around here for attempting to revive vaporware kickstarter Unsung Story) has absorbed the old publisher and intends to revamp the revamp, changing the engine to Unreal and adding new content.

RPS source article

I liked APB for the short time I played it a few years ago. Obviously it's not as pretty as the more modern, higher budget, official GTA Online, but somehow it had more charm and felt more welcoming. The mission design was cool and the PvP felt great. Mostly vying for objectives on a huge world map, making multiple approaches to everything emerge naturally. Not a huge amount of variety but fun.

I may end up reinstalling this mother if Little Orbit comes through.

Deathsquid

Learned
Wow, get a load of that.

APB had some promise, too bad it was so badly half-assed. It's not as half-assed as GTA Online, which gets away with all the incredible bullshit of, oh, I dunno, everything? by the virtue of the base game and the brand, but holy fuck was it half-assed at launch, we couldn't ever get the fucking thing to launch in pre-release beta.

Engine change though? That's probably quite an investment, and MAYBE something that might finally get the game to function. Dunno what engine it was originally made on but I had a feeling it was just murdering the game itself.

Derk Derm

Literate
...Engine change though? That's probably quite an investment, and MAYBE something that might finally get the game to function. Dunno what engine it was originally made on but I had a feeling it was just murdering the game itself.

Game was made on a fairly early version of Unreal Engine 3 but with a bunch of custom tech built ontop, Reloaded Productions has apparently been working on updating the engine to UE 3.5 (alongside the console version releases) but there's been no news on that for years, until today that is.
Looking at the CEO's post on the official APB Reloaded blog, it seems that the first plan is to finish the 3.5 work THEN update to UE4.

On a sidenote: GamersFirst also owned Fallen Earth, with Reloaded Productions yet again being put in charge of development, looks like the buyout might cause some new things to happen on that front as well (though that discussion will have to wait for another thread)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked APB for the short time I played it a few years ago. Obviously it's not as pretty as the more modern, higher budget, official GTA Online, but somehow it had more charm and felt more welcoming. The mission design was cool and the PvP felt great. Mostly vying for objectives on a huge world map, making multiple approaches to everything emerge naturally. Not a huge amount of variety but fun.
Absolutely.
It was the GTA Online that never existed - actual GTA-like missions (even if only relatively straight ones, nothing fancy) involving driving through the city in a hurry, shooting from cars or on foot in the streets, crazy maneuvers.
And a customization that has never since been matched.
I really liked it until the lack of variety in missions and the "store" drove me away. Rentable weapons? Really?...

About the engine change... yeah, I'll give it a try when that happens.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
APB: Reloaded - 705 hrs on record
That game is a LOT of fun with a group of friends. However, it's also an infinite source of frustration and anger. In fact, it's the best rage simulator I have played and this is an amazing feat since there is no competitive scene, it's all casual.

Norfleet

I also seem to recall hearing it was spyware that allowed random creeps on the Internet to spy on your desktop and computer.

Norfleet

Yes, but this wasn't tinfoil material, this was apparently somewhat more credible than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom