Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline AoD wishlist

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
How is that rape? It's prostitution. In exchange for murdering Darista, I want sex with the smug, bitchy, but undeniably attractive Lorenza. If she isn't okay with my counter-offer, she just sics her female bodyguards on me.
You should at least be able to do it by impersonating Gaelius.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You basically need to take at least 6 or 7 rank in crafting if you want to run heavy armor cause what you loot with rare exception is crap.+MAnd Yes heaviest plate like sets should impregnable for all but Hammers and critical hits... There is a reason why everybody who could afford plate bought one instead of running in battle naked (you can't dodge stray projectiles which you can't see or reliably dodge 4 opponents at once in RL)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Am I the only one who thinks the heavier armor needs to be boosted? As it is it simply ins't worth to play a slow 8 AP juggernault clad in the heaviest armor (and shield? Try to dodge with Imperial Armor lol), by end of Teron you are probably wearing Iron Loricas or Lightened Masterwork Iron Praetorian/Ordu Laminar armor, with 9/10 DR ftw. The DR bonus from the heavier is simply negligible compared to the loss of AP, and also possibly any bonus to other stats taken at DEX's expense. The best of the heavy crap (Praetorian/Ordu Laminar) can be lightened anyway.

Imperial armor gives you 12 DR. What more do you want?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The game should have more intimidation checks. Some opportunities that come to mind are when you need to persuade Abukar to give you the pieces to fix the generator, convince Marcus Valla to leave the house, or the attempts to pass Mehab gang and Hermon gang.

The player should be able to attack from a distance with the Mehab’s gang fight and the Hermon’s gang fight.

In AG2, in Teron. If you kill the old men when you are near him, he falls inside the wall and you can’t take his stuff.

If you accept Lorenza offer to kill Darista, when you come back to guild, the camera is weird.

Your body count (and arena rank) should improve your reputation with the assassin’s guild. If you have more than 100 deaths under your belt or if you are the arena champion, you are not a newbie anymore.

killing all the challengers should be a new achievement. Also, you should be able to convince some of them not to fight, with persuasion or streetwise.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I’m playing the game for the second time after the release and I’m having a blast. All the fights are much more challengeable and the game is more unforgiving. Well done, ITS!

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Wrong. Honour-Bound, Al-Sahir's armour.

Not as accessible to every background but Darius Armor too, probably the best of the bunch.

Am I the only one who thinks the heavier armor needs to be boosted? As it is it simply ins't worth to play a slow 8 AP juggernault clad in the heaviest armor (and shield? Try to dodge with Imperial Armor lol), by end of Teron you are probably wearing Iron Loricas or Lightened Masterwork Iron Praetorian/Ordu Laminar armor, with 9/10 DR ftw. The DR bonus from the heavier is simply negligible compared to the loss of AP, and also possibly any bonus to other stats taken at DEX's expense. The best of the heavy crap (Praetorian/Ordu Laminar) can be lightened anyway.

Could use a boost maybe but I still think AoD is pretty flexible there, many combinations tend to work very well, it all depends on your priorities. True, crafting synergizes very well with a build looking to wear heavy armor (which is kinda expected) but regular Iron Imperial Armor can get you through Teron without much fuss and then you can buy Honor Bound in Maadoran.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Isn't Al Sahir armour superior to Darius Armor in literally everything ?

Nah, here are their stats.

Al Sahir's armor:

screenshot_001_00000.jpg

Darius' Armor:

screenshot_001_00001.jpg

hivemind

sheeeeit

I totally forgot the Darius Armour stats ever since they removed getting the Tomb quest just for being guildless. :negative:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
With Crafting 10 you can make Pretorian Meteoric armor with DR 12 and MAP 11...

Yeah, problem is that for some reason I rarely play chars with 9 DEX/11 APs, it's either 8 or 10 DEX most of the time for me. Praetorian armor looks cool as fuck though.

For Darius you need to serve Gaelius?

Yeah but betraying your guild to serve him doesn't get you the quest as far as I know. So you can get it with a say Praetor and Assassin background but not if you join house Aurelian by informing Gaelius of the plot against his life (as a Thief or IG).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Al-Sahid's armor is basically light armor really and a natural progression from leather armor. Honor-Bound is not the heaviest of armors (actually, it might be that sweet spot armor for dodgers since even with crafting you can make these armors with very low penalties), and Darius armor is restricted to Aurelian servants and is just op.

These armors + pwa is actually another reason why heavy armor sucks - they're so good, with almost no penalty to DEF, fairly high AP, and you can get at least one of them for sure.
Your own lamellar, praetorian and imperial armors just suck in comparison, because most of unique armors have almost no weaknesses. Heck, most of them have lower penalties than leather armors you find.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
The distinction of 'heavy' armour gets a bit muddy. I think the real issue is the usefulness of standard & crafted armours in general when all these uniques start appearing. I can't imagine many characters who wouldn't prefer Honour Bound, PWA or Al-Sahir over the former. The various pros and cons were a lot more clear years back when there weren't most of the unique items and when armour penalty was just dodge penalty. Restoring the latter would go a long way to making the heaviest armours attractive, although at the moment just doing that would make blockers far too good.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's true that uniques make heaviest armors less attractive. What I dislike the most tho is full damage from critical hits.
There are already many ways to deal with heavy armor in the game - 2 handed weapons, high hardness weapons, passives from hammers and throwing weapons (Throwing passive is pure cheesy bullshit however), aimed attacks, armor piercing missiles, bleeding, poison, the fact that shields are made out paper and Ikea parts, and so on.
When it comes to dodgers, however, there are really only aimed hits (that actually don't work that well against them because you have crap chance to do aimed hits against dodgers) and maybe bows+high PER (work as good against heavy armor/block).
Dodgers also don't have to carry spare shields around.

So when after investing in your armor and multiple shields you realise that 25 DR isn't any better than 10 DR dodger can have when it comes to hits that actually do penetrate, you begin to question your choice of armament. Especially since you also can't do any damage during enemy turn like dodgers can.
Any unique armor is good against glancing hits, but no armor/shield are good enough against crits even by some shitty bronze arrow. And any shield can be whittled away with anything, even bronze dagger (how the fuck does that even work? My guess it's the problem of low Hardness of even heavy shields).

I'd like to see heaviest armors giving better protection against critical hits by just flat out cutting the damage. And it would be ok if that would be achieved at the expense of making them less resistant to their logical enemies - javelins and maces and such.

As for now when you play in heavy armor with block you are more afraid of RNG than actual things that are supposed to be your counters (had a pleasure of getting 20 dmg instant death crit from some shitty spear guy at Pass fight while wearing 8 Crafting blue steel Imperial Armor & Tower Shield after killing 95% of local populace).

P.S. I also have a very personal gripe against bucklers being useless for light/dodgy fighters :argh:

Last edited:
Gave the game a try. It's ok-ish. Better than recent disappointments anyway, at least I finished it once. Setting is interesting, though the extreme schizo-tech really strains my suspension of disbelief. Story I find mostly meh, but I can't really put my finger on why exactly. Combat is kinda ok I guess, or at least it's improved from the combat demo I last played. I do feel like the quality drops off as the game progresses. The final act is just walking up a pyramid and down a cellar. I invested in some thieving skills but did not to join the guild, and opportunities to use them were quite limited after Teron. In Teron I broke into Feng's and the blacksmith shop. In other cities all I find are locked doors everywhere (that I can't pick, unless I missed something obvious).

Endings - got two of them, IG and god ending. There really should be something more to the endings. The IG ending was literally one slide and back to the menu, there should be more to this, Fallout style (I know there are some between chapters, but still - one slide ending?). The god ending was better (two or three slides?), though it seems to assume that anyone going for it is doing it to conquer the world. I'm really not that interested in ruling a wasteland, especially if my first act is to make it an even worse wasteland by killing anyone in my path and destroying all cities. Fuck that kind of power, I'm doing this for knowledge and immortality. I'd prefer to be a hidden god to this, maybe protecting the humanity from future mistakes (and anyone following in my steps) by pulling some strings from the shadows. Maybe add a choice of what kind of a god you wish to be at the end (Arcanum style)?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Maybe my first attempts at juggernault went wrong, but I have a feeling there are diminishing returns to DR/MAP. Seems to me that 10 AP minimum is ideal because you can pretty much use the armor you want - eventually you will find a tougher, heavier lightened unique or good loot. With 10 crafting you can just make Imperial Armor for yourself.

Suppose you have a dodge build with axe. You can craft an iron imperial armor with less penalty and a mineb with THC bonus. You get two fast attacks that cause a lot of damage per turn and you are imune to most damage with dodge 6. You only need to look for the right materials, because 30 lbs is a lot of iron.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Al-Sahid's armor is basically light armor really and a natural progression from leather armor. Honor-Bound is not the heaviest of armors (actually, it might be that sweet spot armor for dodgers since even with crafting you can make these armors with very low penalties), and Darius armor is restricted to Aurelian servants and is just op.

These armors + pwa is actually another reason why heavy armor sucks - they're so good, with almost no penalty to DEF, fairly high AP, and you can get at least one of them for sure.
Your own lamellar, praetorian and imperial armors just suck in comparison, because most of unique armors have almost no weaknesses. Heck, most of them have lower penalties than leather armors you find.

Thing is, most armors suck compared to PA, unless you're playing a 10 STR 2H wielder (whom admittedly I do love to play) there's no reason not to use it. Heck as a DEX weapon based user you can just switch to Horus mode and basically have no armor penalty whatsoever in addition to boosting your THC and free APs (and fastest initiative).

Besides that, the stuff you can create with high crafting is certainly comparable to other unique armor pieces you get. Of course, the heaviest armor is a bitch because it requires a ton of materials to make and the DR, vsCS and hardiness boost is hardly worth it and the main advantage of 10 crafting armor you can make over stuff like Honor-Bound and Darius Armor is bonus 2 APs technique which again favours 10 DEX build (crafted meteor Lorica is superior to Darius and Honor-Bound in every way and matches their defense penalty, in addition to giving you 12 APs), not the heavy juggernaut archetype build with 8 or 6 DEX.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yea crafting weapons and using sharpening stones are more valuable in Crafting than making armor (especially for ranged characters).
And with more and more arena challengers coming up (dat meteoric axe from Widowmaker!) value of your own stuff crafted would continue to drop past midgame.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Yea crafting weapons and using sharpening stones are more valuable in Crafting than making armor (especially for ranged characters).
And with more and more arena challengers coming up (dat meteoric axe from Widowmaker!) value of your own stuff crafted would continue to drop past midgame.

Yeah, don't forget all those mithril daggers from expanded Basil quest as well. I really like crafting but I'd say alchemy is just plain better now unless you're using a weapon group that isn't covered that well with uniques (Spear maybe?), especially since you can just leave it at 6 and focus on other stuff while to fully get the benefit from crafting you need to go all the way.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
When the player comes back to the outpost, he should be able to kill the Daratan decanus to use the machine or take the tube.

The player should be able to sell all the missiles, arrows and metals. It is very annoying to have to choose the rest of each one of them to drop.

The player should be able to select and delete more than one save slot at the same time.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
TG: “Levir wants to end this bloodshed. You’re giving us a lot of trouble, bra. You better work for him. Or else".

Player: "At this point in the game? No chance. Fuck him. I’m a god of destruction and nothing will stand in my way. You had better prepared your weapons, faggot. I’m gonna end you. Muahahahaha".

FIGHT!

Player receives a bola in the fucking neck and is immobilized, pierced by a sword with poison, penetrated by a spear and shoot by a crossbow. Two times! “Oh, no. I’m dying. Urgh..” Rest in peace.

:bravo:

These new Basil related quests are awesome, guys. You should add a sequence with the final fight against Levir.

Tigranes

Arcane
I still choose to believe that Miltiades is the one that left the scorpion in the house.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I would like to see Oscar demon vs. Agathoth fight. My bet would be on Oscar since he would be immune to mental damage, poison and KOs and he would deliver massive amounts of damage himself. :kingcomrade:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh I'd love to have an additional game mode (or maybe just an updated combat demo) that would allow to choose from all characters/creatures in the game and watch them fight each other. Or maybe choose one and fight the ladder, Mortal Kombat style :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom