Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD, the French translation

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Well, it's been a hard long year since we started this project. We made some good progress. Out of the 50800 dialogs lines, already 23000 are translated (but my proofreader has just recently began to check the dialog translation).On the other side, all other kind of texts (slides, pop-up message, character sheet, text box, panels, etc etc) are translated and proofread. We might have miss some typos too (specially some GenderVar assuming incriminated file allows them), and various fixs have to be done (Journal Panel, some location in the maps are not fully displayed,...). It represents about 30000 lines of texts.

Sunfire, who owns this translation project via Passolo+Google Drive, has made a downloadable archive to beta-test our translation. This beta includes very, very few dialogs translation (only 12 files out of the 550 ones), but the idea is to check all kind all bugs not related to theses dialogs files.

So, if some French codexians are interested, I will gladly grant you & you an access to this downloadable archive, hosted on our Google Drive space. Just PM me and make sure you got a @gmail.com valid email adress

Install process:

0) Make a copy of the files ./scripts.aod and ./art/gui.aod
1) Download and unpack the archive.
2) Copy its ./levels/ and ./core/ sub-folders to the game dir.
3) Copy the content of its ./art/gui/ sub-folder to the file ./art/gui.aod .
4) Copy the content of its ./scripts/ sub-folder to the file scripts.aod in the game dir (it's an archive, actually, and could be navigated through by some unpackers or file managers (i.e. Total Commander) like usual folders).
5) Change the line $pref::ITS::Language = "english"; to $pref::ITS::Language = "french"; in the file /Documents/My Games/Age Of Decadence/prefs.cs before 1st run of FR build after unzipping it to the game dir.

Feel free to test it for the fun or for helping us to seek & identify any kind of bugs

The beta is fully playable, but remember only 12 dialogs files are translated in it, which is very few. All other text are translated (with some typos, as showed by Cado's tavern desc in the game message box)

:salute:

Aod bFR- 40 Voleurs guilde 01.jpg Aod bFR- 40 Voleurs slide 01.jpg Aod bFR- Chara Creation Savant.jpg Aod bFR- Chara Creation Voleuse.jpg Aod bFR- Chara Creation Voleuse-2.jpg Aod bFR- Chara Creation Voleuse-3.jpg Aod bFR- Téron slide 01.jpg Aod bFR- Téron slide 02.jpg AoD bFR-Bienvenue.jpg

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
That's... brave, I'll give you that.
It's been a longtime I've always wanted to make it real. There was some attempts in the past, but all of them failed.
So, after DR translation, I felt it was now or never. Of course, during the 1st year, things didn't happen as expected : lost most of my translators, but I would say it's a good thing finally : AoD has what I would call many crossed files with the same part of text here and there in different files, and with many translators, it would be sadly easy to miss that, so better be alone to translate and be sure to find them all in order to deliver a consistency translation.

Sunfire's help is very precious, I guess you know what I mean : without his Passolo project, it would be much harder to make it real. I will never thank him enough. A true bro ! Not only for this French translation, but also for his mods and hotfix.

Yes, we're far from the end, but we're well motivated, and many French who don't speak English will finally be able to play AoD. On the other side, I hope it will help ITS to continue to sell it, at least for the French market. It's a win-win

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The only french I know that might have wanted to play a hardcore text-heavy turn-based RPG all speak english already, so afaic it feels a bit pointless. Still, it must have been a learning experience.
Quand même, AoD quoi, faut être bien taré! :salute:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Quand même, AoD quoi, faut être bien taré! :salute:
Yeah! C'est même un pré-requis.
No seriously, whith Passolo management, all we have to do is to concentrate on the translation itself. No file management for us, which is a real advantage there. We leave this task for Sunfire. And translation interface on the Google Drive is very user-friendly, Dungeon Rats Polish translators can confirm (Goral & Darth_Roxor AFAIK)
And after all, russians did it, spanish did it too (and they were only 2), so why not a French translation?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Progress report:
Our translation is now updated to fit the current version of the game, and we've launch some new test-build with about 28 31% of the dialog content, while everything else is at 100%. We adding more content at each build.
About 75% of the game is now translated, but lots of dialog files still need some proofread. We haven't yet begin Ganezzar translation, but it should start soon. We're finishing Maadoran and its satellites location.

French players are welcome for these test-build, so many things to check. So feel free to PM me, I will grant you an access to our archive ;)

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Well, as our translation is almost finished (only remains 2 files to add in our current test-build), we are looking for French Brodexers willing to help us testing this translation. We need an intensive bugtracking there.
Robespierre : already sent you a PM you know where bro.
For all other volunteers, please PM me and I will grant you an access to our test-build archive and will explain you how to proceed for its installation.

index.php

:shredder:

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
To any French speaker, native or not.
Here's a link leading you to ITS forum. There you will find another link to download our archive and its installation process. As a new archive (21th) is available, previous link is now outdated.

For the feedbacks, a screenshot would be welcome. Please just think to tell in which resolution you play, the background and gender of your PC.
here are some exemples of the kind of bugs we want to eradicate:
- some errors with the polite and familiar forms (Vous or Tu).
- some text may have been duplicate during to compilation process, it's not normal. (for the record, all typos in the Oracle screen have been fixed, don't worry)
- some weird characters may be present in the dialog windows.
- some broken GenderVar which will be displayed likte that : <blabla/blabla> within a part of text.
- and of course, the classics typos.

Thanks to the volunteers :salute:

updated : 20th build is no longer available, PM me please for the new one

Attachments

• AoD FR Adventuring Abyss.jpg
    AoD FR Adventuring Abyss.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 262
  • AoD FR_Oracle 100 Imperials gift text_bug.jpg
    AoD FR_Oracle 100 Imperials gift text_bug.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Dellar with PC as a preator.jpg
    Dellar with PC as a preator.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 276
  • AoD_FR_ GV non reconnu.jpg
    AoD_FR_ GV non reconnu.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
My French isn't good enough to actually tell any errors, but this is God's work and you are all fabulous sexy people.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Allright guys, Sunfire's next FR built will be the last one with the last fixed typos, so we can consider our work is done for good. Which means it's up to Nick now to include this FR translation into the game and provide an update to the game.

Our credit screen with a tribute to Ivan, he really deserves one !

Attachments

• AoF_FR_Remerciements.jpg
    AoF_FR_Remerciements.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 146

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Everyone can now test it on Steam as a beta and check its implementation : right click on the title from your own library, then click on "proprieties" to go in "beta" section. Choose from here "test - PUBLIC branching test" in the option without entering any code. The game should now update as "The Age of Decadence [test]".
You can now freely enjoy the FR version of the game. If anything goes wrong, please report to me. This beta should be bug-free, but we never knows. So better check its perfect integration before the official update. :salute:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Well, AoD now supports French language, at least the Steam version, I suppose the GoG version will come later. :incline:

Horton

Educated
Great news! Thanks a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom