Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD Public Beta Release 2 is out

Discussion in 'Age of Decadence' started by likaq, May 2, 2012.

1. likaq Erudite

likaq
    Click here and disable ads!
    https://rapidshare.com/files/168284502/AoD_Public_Beta_R2.exe

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7235974

R2 Changelog:

:love:
    ^ Top  
  2. Elhoim Developer

Elhoim
  3. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
  4. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    torrenting in progress!
    ^ Top  
  5. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    fuuuuuuuuuck me. :P

Thats some serious work. Again!
    Ohhh im so playing this up and down and front to back and.... downloadan!

Oh yeah, you guys are getting a sticky on my forums so... i dont know... if i get some people overthere it might do you some good.
    You cannot convince me not to. Dont even bother trying.
    Im going to "borrow" some screenshots and stuff too.
    ^ Top  
  6. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    seeding in progress... probably won't have time to play much until the weekend, but hey...

also, :lol: at the new character starting screen and the AWESOME button :thumbsup:

and i know this will cause murderous rage, but i liked the old dialogue font better - this one is just too bold and blocky at 1440 x 900. guess I'll try a higher res or something; it's not really a big issue.
    ^ Top  
  7. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Graphics whoring and nitpicking of the worst sort, but of the :obviously: kind (because text is a noble material):

font.jpg

font2.jpg

Look at that lowercase 'm' in "promising, ambitious, somemartial (?)" etc. - the kerning is fubar.

Look at the baseline for the '3' and '5' in the dagger stats compared to '6' and '8'.

Look at the weight differences between 'A', 'l', 'w', 'a', 'y', 's' in the first word, or between 'A' and 'P' in action points - it's practically random (with 'y' and 'v' being the biggest offenders).

tl;dr: Linux font detected.
    ^ Top  
  8. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Seeding.

WHAT?!?!?!?! Someone needs to hang for the font!!!
    I suggest "eleventh hour", wyrmlord alt on IT.

Sacrifice him to the gods of teh internets and this font outrage will be forgotten.
    ^ Top  
  9. Elhoim Developer

Elhoim
    Recommend a better one, and we'll consider it.
    ^ Top  
  10. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Will do.
    ^ Top  
  11. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    [​IMG]
    You can't even choose a non-godawful font for your game after 5(?) years of development. You aren't making an action game with full voice acting. It's like the first and most important thing you do for a text intensive game and you're asking for suggestions now?! Dude!
    ^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    For the record, he didn't ask for suggestions. He responded to a comment.
    ^ Top  
  13. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    i was kind of joking up there... doesnt look that bad to me but i still havent seen the game new version... cause i found some new good music and have been checking that out for a while.

But i still think you should sacrifice wyrmlords alt.
    cant hurt.
    ^ Top  
  14. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    All right, I actually went looking into this. And guess what? Candara is actually a pretty sweet font - just look it up on fonts.com:

font3.jpg
    font4.jpg

Now compare it to the mess I posted yesterday.

So the issue is not with the font, but with the text layout engine. I'm guessing(!) this is a case of Torque not really caring about text - but unlike looking up a font, that's not something I can talk about or have any constructive suggestions. So, uhm... good luck, I guess :salute:
    ^ Top  
  15. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Yes. Candara is a pretty good font, or it was until Torque butchered it.
    ^ Top  
  16. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Codex 2014 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I liked the new font, and the new introduction screens. Menus seem to be better too. The game looks professionally done. Could use a bit more music though, the 1 or 2 tracks that currently loop are starting to feel repetitive.
    ^ Top  
  17. kazgar Prophet

kazgar
    It could just be that the demo's focus on one area is giving you way more exposure of those tracks then you would notice in the game (assuming they're Teron based tracks) the whole multiple playthroughs of a focussed area as people try every variation of the demo.

In the full game, while you spend a bit of time there, you may also experience other areas with other tracks interspersed, so you wouldn't hear it as much, and as the replays will take longer due to more content, the frequency over playthroughs will also reduce?

Dunno, i'm sure VD will correct me if i'm wrong (and I might be)
    ^ Top  
  18. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Do you realize that it is not easy to find the good balance between "artsy-fitting to our interface" and "readable, but boring and sterile" ? Finding the correct font can last long, at the end you end up like me and just create an own font.
    Anyway, you are retard for thinking that the only thing Vince and Elhoim are doing is sorting out fonts. The whole changelist and improvments posted here was nothing compared to the obviously very important font issue to you? Good to know.
    ^ Top  
  19. Marsal Arcane

Marsal
    Calling me a retard for stating the obvious? Everyone is making their own vaporware, thinking they know something, these days. The font should have been a done deal years ago. Engine "problems" are irrelevant. Excuses are cheap. Improvise, make your own font, just make it work. It's not like there are 3 lines of text in the game. It is imperative to have clear and readable text.

Now let go of the cock and crawl back to your hole, little bitch. Adults are talking.
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    I'll say it again - the real problem with the text isn't the fonts. It's the colors.
    ^ Top  
  21. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Adults? Where?

You mean Surf? That i could agree with. What you write seems like its written by pimplefaced little whiny bitch.
    ^ Top  
  22. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Anyway, some impressions and a few minor bugs, i think.

Went with the normal mode, made a mercenary.

The start of the game feels much better and clear than before.
    While i was allocating skill points and making my Spear wielding dodger... i noticed that few attributes have huge influences across the board.
    of course... changing that is probably out of reach by now, but still...

a few impressions.

Intelligence now gives a boost even at 4. While all other attributes give negative effects or none at all at that level.
    That seemed way, way too much at first but... As i was making a fighter character i noticed i can now lower the int to minimum and still get a 5% boost - which is now applying only to solving quests, not killing NPC s- so i really didnt have any need to raise Int anymore,
    while still feeling i am not loosing anything. Except some minor reduction in skill points available at character creation.

Which is good. I guess?

Dexterity however is totally over valued.
    Not only it affects its primary related abilities such as number of action points, dodge and throwing chances to hit, but it influences all of weapon skills and five of the general skills.
    While Strength does not?

To me that doesnt seem a good design decision either from the gameplay point of view or some sort of realistic explanation.
    Even pure fighters in AoD simply have much more reasons to increase dex, even if they are shield users, - then investing in strength and especially Constitution which is the most undervalued of them all.

Strength should affect THC much more than Dex. And Criticals. In order to hit the target in the right spot you dont need speed and flexibility so much as you need a firm grip, balance, steadiness and just pure power. All given or reinforced by Strength.
    I use to think that simply reducing the importance of some attributes might work as a sort of quick fix but, maybe some just need to be made more important?
    Shouldn`t strength increase at least blocking and critical`s too? But really, much more.

I already suggested making Con a synergic part of calculation for Action Points together with dexterity, even if its influence is lesser than dex has in that equation.
    It really needs a boost to be as useful as it usually is - in reality. Which would work very well for gameplay side too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing more guys... really... cant you just borrow some female body and face models from Dead State?
    I mean... this is obviously male body and male face here... Luckily you turned off the beards...

anyway... Red Viper enters the lists and gives his best shot with attributes and skills as you see them.
    [​IMG]

this is a very nice touch.
    [​IMG]

Oh look! A rope and a amphora of wine... well... my instincts tell me i should just buy them and keep with me.
    Or... i just shouldnt and later on i can cry and scream how unfair this game is?
    [​IMG]

ok... so my patron got wasted and i didnt save... ahem... well... live to fight another day?
    [​IMG]

And i fought that same night....
    [​IMG]

and guess what?
    i got :felipepped:
    :lol:
    but i was very close.

So... with no place to save in between... the Red Viper perished forever.

Armed with that knowledge and a different take on attributes.... Nuadas stepped in.

[​IMG]

And tried the assassin.

[​IMG]

btw... this was the only time i saw the netted icon in all of these fights. Later on it simply didnt show even if i scored a hit and the enemy was behaving appropriately.

However... even netted, that bastard is one tough SoB.
    WTF is this shit???? He kept disarming meeeeee!
    And i got felipepped again.
    Not even a Krokspar spear helped.
    :(

That was great. :)
    I thought making him easier would be a quick fix but.... this is actually much, much better.
    You have a nice chance to avoid it, and if you dont... then...pay the piper buddy. And dance the dance.
    This is actually great because it shows the players immediately where they've come to and that assassins are not just funnily dressed dudes you kick for giggles.
    Next time you come up against an assassin... youre going to think about it most seriously.

Luckily, Nuadas made a smart move and didnt throw all his eggs in one basket like old Red Viper.

I found myself in front of Merchants guild trader once again and decided to go for light armor and Dori.
    Here i ran into a repeat of a small bug i had with Red Viper.
    The icons for splitting the goods in trading screen to weapons or armor stop working. the rest works fine but first two just became unresponsive.
    Luckily the one that gives the full overview is usable.

So i bought myself some nice Ordu silk armor and a dori.
    (this screenshot is with krokspar but i reloaded and bought a Dori instead)

[​IMG]

And ze Assassin got felipepped.
    :)

[​IMG]

The only thing i would add here is a bit more money or something, in assassins inventory. Since it is a bit of a hard fight i think the reward could be a bit better. Nothing fancy... just...something little extra.

And this is of course a great move. very, very nicely done too.

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    But heavy armours severly limit your action points, a heavy fighter would benefit much more from strength damage bonus to smite his foes than from some extra skill points. You'll gain skill points through the game, but that sweet +20% weapon damage is only on char creation.

Good Fucking Riddance! :lol:
    ^ Top  
  24. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    I agree with that!

But, i still think strength and Constitution needs to be made even more useful because DEX doesnt give only extra skills points. It influences a whole pile of things.
    Thats why its really almost unfairly too useful.
    Either it needs to be cut down to size or other skills need to be made more attractive.

Strength should influence far more weapon skills then it does, and thats just for starters.
    Of course.... i have no idea if IT will think the same or if that is even feasible to do at this point.
    Still... it is still a beta of the Demo and... im just making suggestions.

Also, please guys get rid of the males dressed up as females.... please!?
    That, however, is nothing urgent and something you could do in time for final release.

If you need i will make you some basic female faces... for free!

quick bug reminder:

- Netted icon doesnt show more than it shows during the inn fight. In fact, in four or five fights i head i saw it only once out of all times i successfully thrown the net at the assassin and scored a hit.

- When you decide to go to buy some gear before going up to guard the Merchant and start trading with the merchant trader, the icons in the trading menu that separate the equipment into weapons and armors only, stopped responding several times.
    The rest of them kept working.
    ^ Top  
  25. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
    I found that strength matters the most when you are fighting heavily armored people (in my game, those are the only tough fights). If you are using a sword doing 6 average damage (with 2 DR) against DR 6, you are really only doing 2 damage on average. Adding one more point in strength adds a point of base damage, this increases your killing power by 50%. Obviously if you are blowing through the armor going from 6 to 7 damage is not as significant, but in that case I find that those fights are not as hard.

Not to mention, it makes it easier to carry all of your lewt.

When I get home I intend to play around with a dex 7 heavy armor merc to see how it works. I am trying to decide between axes and swords as a primary weapon (while hammers are deadly in packs, I feel that knocking your target out of melee range is sometimes counterproductive).

As a spoiler question, I saw VD mention something about a "Grain of Truth" quest. I've played every background, but I was unable to get that quest. Can someone give me a hint on where to look?

Also, I may be in the minority, but I like the way the female models look (ok, the heads are...not ideal), and I certainly don't think it is worth spending the time to tweak them. Muscluar men and muscular women do tend to look alike to begin with, and I sometimes find female models have grossly exaggrated dimenentions and it breaks my immersion. I don't think that 110 lbm women with DD breasts and a 27" waist generally run around in heavy armor.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)