Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aod News Main Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Vault-Dweller :

In case hammers wren't covered-

Hammers:

1. Yes, you swing with it.
2. Oh look, you can squash insects.
3. At least you won't hit yourself with it.
4. If only they would stand still, eh?
5. That's one way to pick a lock.
6. Not bad, you've learnt to crack a few bones with that.
7. That's a lot of flattened dreams and broken skulls.
8. No armor can save them.
9. Nothing like you and your hammer to send them running.
10. A one-man wrecking crew. Bravo.

EDIT: Posted on ITS, just in case.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You need to reference nails at least once with hammer, right?

Maybe around 7 or 8, "everything is starting to look like a nail".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@vault-dweller :

In case hammers wren't covered-

Hammers:

1. Yes, you swing with it.
2. Oh look, you can squash insects.
3. At least you won't hit yourself with it.
4. If only they would stand still, eh?
5. That's one way to pick a lock.
6. Not bad, you've learnt to crack a few bones with that.
7. You've learnt that problems are like nails. Sometimes, all you need is a hammer.
8. No armor can save them.
9. Nothing like you and your hammer to send them running.
10. A one-man wrecking crew. Bravo.

EDIT: NAILS!!!! Good call.

Also, I guess bringing Thor in is a tad too much. Unless there are viking-likes in this setting.

AND ALSO:

Stealing:

1. Maybe they shouldn't be looking while you're at it.
2. Ah, yes, move your fingers quickly. Who would have guessed.
3. You could successfully steal the money off a blind man. If it's dark. And if he's sleeping.
4. Distraction works, and you know it. Applying it, however...
5. Now if you could just get it out before they catch you.
6. You've acquired a fine way to get "discounts".
7. A little more finesse and you'll go far.
8. You'll get the better deal when shopping.
9. It's almost like they can't notice you. Almost.
10. Your hands are lightning. You'll get rich soon.

AND ANOTHER EDIT:

Sneak:

1. No, you cannot hide by putting a pot on your head.
2. Move while they're not looking. Genius.
3. You know now that darkness can help.
4. Hiding behind curtains can work.
5. They won't see you. If you're miles away.
6. You could hide, but those flashy clothes might give you away.
7. You can stay still and be silent.
8. Most won't see you coming.
9. It'll take a trained eye to spot you.
10. Wraith. Spectre. Ghost.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Axes:
1. You've learnt that axes aren't useful for wood alone.
2. Grabbing an axe by the handle is no longer impossible.
3. Now you can put some strength behind the blow.
4. You might even split a tree, but for now, you can cut plants. And groceries.
5. You're getting better. You may no longer have to worry about cutting yourself.
6. Not many limbs stay together after you've dealt with them. Those that do might kill you, but hey.
7. Splitting shields is so easy now, you'd think you were highly incompetent once. Wait...
8. Those you face you may never be whole again.
9. Meat and wood alike tremble cower in your presence.
10. Run away, the butcher is in town.

Not as good, I feel. Will get back to this later.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Alchemy:
1. Wine and gunpowder do not mix. Lesson learnt.
2. You've learnt not to mistake acid for body wash oil. It'll heal, do not worry.
3. You poisons are feared, or you're a terrible chef.
4. The healing salves you brew work. They might smell and sting, but at least they don't make you nauseous anymore.
5. You've learnt to store it all in bottles. Your progress is certain. So far.
6. You can throw a bomb or two. You might explode with them, but's that just a minor detail.
7. Your poisons not only kill, they make your foes scream in pain. It's now just a matter of applying it on them.
8. You are sufficiently competent to know when someone is trying to slip one on you.
9. Your flasks are a greater terror than most soldiers.
10. All you have to do is show an empty goblet and they will beg for mercy.

And I'll get back on this tomorrow, VD. I think I'm being too demeaning, unevenly so.

Opinions would be 'ppreciated, bros.

Gozma

Arcane
The skill level descriptions thing really shouldn't be for lolz, the point of them is to contextualize what a given score in the gameworld means so that thresholds for skill checks or combats will be intuitable without foreknowledge. E.g. for Alchemy 5 you could say, "You are about the equal in knowledge of a common professional alchemist." (I don't know if that is accurate, but just for example). That way if you have like 7 alchemy and you get in an argument with what is apparently a common town alchemist (I don't know if that exists in the setting, but you get the idea) you will be pretty sure that you will have the right idea over him. On the other hand if this is actually the renowned best alchemist in the world, you pipe down. I don't know how outsiders could write the descriptions without knowing what the actual ingame checks and so on are.

And so on for combat, you say stuff like "You're as good with a sword as an elite soldier" at whatever skill, and that should match the scores of enemies in the game are that are elite soldiers or equivalents.

Doctor Psitronix

Literate
Within the Myan Vortex(A.K.A.Somewhere in Mexico)
This is encouraging news.
1-10 skill system. Personally I hate numbers becoming the driving force for gamers,worse then Whac-A-Mole. It trains plays to seek pointless points to feel successful. Crating Whac-A-Mole actually. Where as a simplfied system where the numbers are kept minimal in the implantation of simulating statistical probability reduces the Meh Power! mentality when the number have meaning. Gygax understood that. Why do you think the (normal) level limit is 20 in D&D and not 60-80+ like World of Warcraft?
STEEP INCLINE.
:love:

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The skill level descriptions thing really shouldn't be for lolz, the point of them is to contextualize what a given score in the gameworld means so that thresholds for skill checks or combats will be intuitable without foreknowledge.

To those who can't figure out what 1-10 means...

GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE.

:troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The mountain pass (think like George R.R. Martin's Wall but scaled down a bit)
Wahhhhhh, AoD ripped off Game of Thrones, they can't even think for themselves are and clearly just jumping on "whatever is popular" bandwagon!!!11111

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What's this about that wall? I've never read Martins works, but this sounds interesting!

likaq

Arcane
June update:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/aod/announcements/detail/1787117075154783019

Right now our focus is on Ganezzar, Al-Akia, and the Hangar (aka Chapter 3, which should be released by the end of the summer). It’s a big chunk of content and we’re working 12-14 hours a day to deliver a quality chapter with a unique theme, atmosphere, and quests.

That’s why this month’s update is a bit light on content as we simply didn’t have time to add new locations or quests. So, what’s in this update?

• 6 new characters to talk to

We added a healer and an annalist to Caer-Tor. The healer can tell you more about the camp, the annalist can tell you about the history of the Imperial Guards and the demise of four Noble Houses.

We added a youth and a guard to the Monastery. The youth can tell you about the lower, sealed chambers and what this place was before the war. The guard can offer his perspective on your visit and what it means for the locals (hint: nothing good).

We also added an assassin and a farmer in Maadoran. The farmer can talk about, well, farming and dealing with the Commercium, the assassin is an intro character when you first come to the city and approach the guild.
  • Now you’re able to leave Caer-Tor after completing Paullus’ quest and explore other locations or return to Maadoran.
  • A number of bug fixes
    • AG4: Added an option to attack the beggar to avoid a progress lock if you don’t have a dagger, or money, or decent bodycount rep, or any points in Trading skill.
    • TG3: Fixed a Charisma check at the gate.
    • Maadoran: Changed Calvus’ text to reflect the actual amount of gold received.
    • Monastery: completing the quest by talking to the healer gives you skill points.
    • Monastery: Fighting your way through gives you skill points in addition to the satisfaction of the job well done.
    • Saross: Finding the hidden chamber showers with your skill points.
    • Arch: Now you get skill points for both having a pleasant conversation AND killing Esbenus and his merry bunch of slavers.
    • Inferiae: Escaping the tower with your life – yeah, you guessed it – gives you skill points.
  • Engine optimization to improve performance and loading time
  • Improved the collision system and building/floor system
  • The “journal crash” should be fixed (at least we fixed what we suspect was the issue there), if there are any other issues, they will be easier to pinpoint due to changes in the crash submission system.

As always, thank you for your continuous support and patronage.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What the fuck happened?? I fell like I was teleported in this thread ...

likaq

Arcane
AoD June update:

Another month is gone. Fortunately, we've hit our goals and even though I barely remember June, I see a truckload of different files and find the progress on all fronts extremely pleasing.

The town and the castle look great and the questlines are well thought through and have a good number of options and an even greater amount of double-crossing and backstabbing. If you want to play an opportunist who is betraying out of habit now, you won’t be disappointed.

As you know each town has a theme and a certain main event. Teron is a frontier town, lawless and dangerous. Very Deadwood-like. The event is a military takeover attempt. Maadoran is more “civilized”, Byzantine and more sophisticated. The event is a power struggle. Ganezzar is a religious town. You saw some preachers here and there, saw Meru’s creed slowly spreading, and now you’ll see where it all comes from and why. The event is the siege.

If you’re playing as an Imperial Guard, you’ll participate in the events that trigger the siege. All the other characters will arrive to Ganezzar (to the Aurelian camp outside the walls) when the siege is already in progress. While your faction may have certain preconceived notions about which side you should be on, you won’t have to do what you’re told.

Anyway, we’re very excited about it and it feels great to see the town becoming more and more "real" and all the questlines falling into place and forming a coherent story, which changes based on the angle you’re looking at it from. We still have a month of work ahead of us before we can star testing the 'base', but it’s definitely going well.

]As for screens of the month, I mentioned Faelan in one of the earlier updates. He’s Meru’s pet “magus” and you feel like killing him, you’ll have to fight him with your eyes closed, text-adventure style. Mazin, our artist extraordinaire, and I worked on it together which resulted in a 6,300-word document. So, the battle is truly epic, filled with excitement, adventure, and many death screens.

It’s hard to present this fight in a few screens, but I’ll try. There are several reasons to want him dead, from practical to personal. Here is one of them – Glabrio, the guildmaster of the local branch of the thieves guild, sends you to kill him.

The magus isn’t really a magus. He’s a powerful hypnotist, which has the same awe-inspired effect on the locals. He’s very loyal to Meru and overall, if you get to know him, he is a fairly decent guy. Weird as fuck but decent, which is more than can be said about many people.

More here:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4244.0.html

Weasel
:lol: Hivers gonna Hiver.... welcoming newcomers to AOD in his own unique style (Hiver is called "Surface Reflection" on the Steam forums):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/46476691092066597/

Vince are you following this discussion from Surface Reflection?
In his pinned "Absolute Beginner's Guide" he is becoming increasingly belligerent, using foul language, and what appears to be thinly veiled threats of violence stemming from my discussing the benefits of synergies:

"It was completely intentional that i never included anything even resembling the usual language of RPG manuals and calculations of percentages and other cost to benefit ratio crap you wrote in your posts.

How ♥♥♥♥ing hard is that to understand?

Now shut the ♥♥♥♥ up already and dont make me go and find you and apply the second and third Socratic method of arguments that they never taught you at the academy"

The guy is out of control and not exactly a friendly welcome wagon representative to the AoD community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom