Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aod News Main Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You need time to figure out how to overcome the challenge (otherwise it's not much of a challenge to begin with).

If the challenge is there, how you go about overcoming it (rationalizing/deciphering vs banging your head) ultimately matters. There is no time differentiation between the two approaches, the first one is just more productive, worthwhile and satisfactory, sometimes even the only way to do it. You are also more prepared for later challenges.
The mainstream design preaches that the player should not be inconvenienced by the failure, that the player doesn't play games to be fail but to be awesome. The hardcore design is the very opposite. It revolves around overcoming obstacles by figuring out the system and getting better.
I don't think they preach that design per se, they just parrot what the sales figures point at. In a world where money talks, that's what's important, isn't it? :p

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Another VERY interesting update by Vault Dweller: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7059.0.html

Maybe the most interesting bit is the new information on Colony ship RPG.

I'll quote only the tl;dr part:
So you'll start the game at the Pit - lawless but free 'container city', think Deadwood, then start exploring the ship, eventually making your way to the Three Cities (the residential deck split into 3 'cities') and exploring different societies created after the mutiny. Other notable locations include the mutants' town, out of control aeroponics, a breached hull, the shuttle deck, maintenance tunnels, etc.

Starting the game as a 'freeman' will allow you to explore these societies and beliefs with fresh eyes without having to fake amnesia. "Tell me more about this White Christ character!"

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Second part of interview with VD is up on RPG Center.
(...)
I think it's enough for one interview. Before we say goodbye, I have to ask about one thing or my editor-in-chief won't leave me alone: you said that appearance of boxed edition depends on sales of the game. How is it going?

The game is selling well on Steam and GoG, but the comment about sales was mainly in regard to our direct sales (back when we were taking pre-orders) as they are the only indication of how many people would buy directly from us. So far it’s not enough to consider a boxed edition.

In the printing industry quality is related to your ‘run’ size (which ‘unlocks’ better printing presses that simply can’t run a few hundred of anything). Ideally, I’d prefer to order 5,000 copies but you can get decent quality with 1,000 copies too.

So if we do that, we’d have to place a blind order upfront and then hope that enough people would want to buy it, which isn’t a good plan. Had we sold 5-7,000 copies directly, we could count on 15-20% people wanting to buy a boxed edition.

The way it stands right now, maybe we’ll sell a hundred copies, maybe two, the rest will be sitting in my garage, gathering dust. I’d say that Kickstarter is probably the best platform for offering boxed editions but this ship has sailed. Next game, perhaps?
Something for mindx2

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Steam trading cards will be there

We interrupt this important discussion to announce that trading cards will be added soon (waiting for the badges, the rest is done, including our tribute to Bioware - :ride the bull: emoticon.

I don't know how these things works for the dev, but if ITS can get benefits from those things, well, why not, otherwise, I don't see the interest

Vault Dweller do you really think ITS can benefit from this? or do you just implement that for those who are asking for it?

Last edited:

darthaegis

Cipher
I think the devs always get a very small cut (1 cent per card, assuming that the cards will be as cheap as usual.)

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
whatever they decide to do i hope the colony ship game is even harder then AOD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom