Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD December update - beta in Jan

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Meanwhile Vince and co. has brought us another update full of improvements and additions:

This week's changelog:

• Added House Daratan questline
  • Added two NPCs (one shows up only when the city is under siege)
  • Removed the 'horse travel', now you can exit the city via the gate and use the world map to travel.
  • Fixed the combat loop in AG7
  • Added gunner's log in the Hangar location
  • Fixed infinite XP loop when talking to Gaelius after Zamedi
  • You can now travel to Ganezzar after killing Gaelius in the AG questline
  • Added a combat panel showing your Attack and Defense stats (it's pretty cool even if I do say so myself)
  • Hovering your mouse over the enemy shows the THC breakdown
  • More tooltips and minor improvements (like color-coordinated textbox)

In the next week's episode Lord Meru will join the Dark Side. Stay tuned.
The panel and THC additional info are great, thanks.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The progress is encouraging, but it's still not really playable beyond Maadoran with most characters. My attempt to follow the House Daratan questline was a failure due to the following bug:

Playing as Praetor, complete all the quests in Teron and go to Maadoran.
In Maadoran, let the 2 assassins kill Gaelus.
Have Strabo fund your meeting with Serenus.
Convince Serenus to give Strabo a title.
Convince Strabo to back Serenus' plan to kill all thieves.
Let Serenus execute his dumb plan.

Serenus will blame you for the disaster, and you will be expelled from Maadoran. The vignette will say that Serenus is killed and House Aurelian falls, and that Lady Calani is now in charge... but you will appear in Ganezzar and House Aurelian will have the city under siege? wah? And when you talk to Meru and the prophet, you will ask them what message they want you to bring to Gaelus? But when you talk to Antidas, you tell him that Serenus is in charge? so confused

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
'House Aurelian is destroyed' and 'Maadoran is destroyed' scenarios aren't done yet, so you get the default scenario for now. I agree, of course, that Ganezzar isn't really playable yet, which is why it's sitting in the test branch on Steam. It's there so that people who are curious about development can take a look and see the different stages.

Overall, there are a lot more 'starting points' in Ganezzar than in Maadoran. Takes a while to trace and implement them all. Siege/no siege, House Aurelian/Maadoran destroyed or not, Darista and Gaelius are killed or not, etc.

Next week we'll add House Crassus questline, the week after all faction leftovers. Then we'll start adding side quests and NPCs.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The smartest thing to do would be to wait till version 1.0 is released but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the urge to play :/. Don't have this problem with Underrail though, it's not as addictive.
BTW, about two NPCs,
is that a pair at the main gate and the zealot who likes to cross people or were they in earlier build?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it possible to become a Daratan praetor without starting as a praetor? I can become a liege man, but that doesn't open up all the Daratan quests in Teron (when you play as a praetor, you are sent to Maadoran by Antidas, and then you get incarcerated until Gaelius is killed).

Also, the Sorab option for killing Carrinas still seems to be bugged. It says that he will be brought to the inn, but he never appears there, and the guy at the Palace gates doesn't acknowledge it. I tried searching for him both before and after I spoke to Carrinas personally and convinced him to come to the inn. The only option is for me to go to the inn alone it seems.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Is it possible to become a Daratan praetor without starting as a praetor?
No.

Also, the Sorab option for killing Carrinas still seems to be bugged. It says that he will be brought to the inn, but he never appears there, and the guy at the Palace gates doesn't acknowledge it.
So after you tell Carrinas that Sohrab will meet him at the inn, you don't get the proper dialogue option? Or Sohrab isn't shown in the dialogue window? The way it works (or should work) it all depends on which approach you choose when talking to Carrinas the first time. If you pretend to be a disgruntled employee waiting to cash out, Sohrab won't be needed and won't show up. If you tell him that you bring greetings from Gaelius, it will unlock the Sohrab option.

I tried searching for him both before and after I spoke to Carrinas personally and convinced him to come to the inn. The only option is for me to go to the inn alone it seems.
He shows up automatically if his presence is required (i.e. brought to the inn by other Daratan men), assuming the scripts work correctly.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The smartest thing to do would be to wait till version 1.0 is released but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the urge to play :/. Don't have this problem with Underrail though, it's not as addictive.
BTW, about two NPCs,
is that a pair at the main gate and the zealot who likes to cross people or were they in earlier build?
The zealot was added last week. This week we added a merc near the gate and a woman near the tents (she is there only when the siege is on - btw, proper siege visuals will be added soon).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
So after you tell Carrinas that Sohrab will meet him at the inn, you don't get the proper dialogue option? Or Sohrab isn't shown in the dialogue window? The way it works (or should work) it all depends on which approach you choose when talking to Carrinas the first time. If you pretend to be a disgruntled employee waiting to cash out, Sohrab won't be needed and won't show up. If you tell him that you bring greetings from Gaelius, it will unlock the Sohrab option.

Oh, I get it now. I went with the disgruntled employee line (suited my skillset better). It is very confusing, though, because the game gives you the message about Sohrab being taken to the inn before you ever talk to Carrinas, implying that Sohrab will be at the inn no matter what you say to Carrinas (or perhaps will even meet you at the inn to walk over to the Barracks with you to talk to Carrinas).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
BTW, about two NPCs,
The zealot was added last week. This week we added a merc near the gate and a woman near the tents (she is there only when the siege is on - btw, proper siege visuals will be added soon).

What's up with the warrior in the bronze armour standing alone outside the gates of Ganezzar (he is standing there instead of the tradesman when the siege is going on)? At first I thought he was the Legatus, but you can't click on him. It seems odd to have an unaffiliated guy standing alone outside the gates during the siege.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's a filler guard (will be removed). When you arrive as a merchant or guard, there is no siege yet and there is a trader there. You can ask some questions, buy an amulet, etc. The trader is removed when there is a siege but I forgot about the guard.

Overall, the siege props haven't been added yet, which is why it looks so empty.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know this is not the time and the place to make such requests, but I've recently powered up AoD after a while and one thing has struck me: the mouse acceleration is on and you cannot do anything about it. Don't know if it's just me who has become capricious, but not being able to click reliably and accurately really subtracts from the experience of the game.

SniperHF

Arcane
I know this is not the time and the place to make such requests, but I've recently powered up AoD after a while and one thing has struck me: the mouse acceleration is on and you cannot do anything about it. Don't know if it's just me who has become capricious, but not being able to click reliably and accurately really subtracts from the experience of the game.

You should try the MarkC fix in the interim. Might not help AoD specifically but it's just a good thing to have anyway.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You should try the MarkC fix in the interim. Might not help AoD specifically but it's just a good thing to have anyway.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html
I believe that I have my mouse acceleration turned off in Windows. At least I don't feel any problems when I play starcraft.

thexsa

Educated

I believe that I have my mouse acceleration turned off in Windows. At least I don't feel any problems when I play starcraft.

What was interesting for me, was that there was mouse accel in the menu screen, but when I got in game it disappeared.

Also, will there be an option for 144 refresh rate?

Weasel
Next update to the beta postponed to Friday, but worth checking out the update for some Hellgate art:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6268.0.html

The main reason for this update is to let you know that the beta will be updated on Friday. The reason for the delay is the art changes in Al-Akia, which is a key part of House Crassus' questline. Why now? That's the beauty of our budget-free development process. Mazin, our artist extraordinaire, is working part-time as he needs to support himself, yet still finds time to help us.

His time is valuable to us, thus we have to use it 'strategically'. For example, now he's working on Hellgate, which is an ancient command center where a lot of explorers died rather painfully, so it has to look the part. We were planning to go with our old design for Al-Akia which is the best we could do but not good enough.

Mazin couldn't change the entire place in a few days but he made a couple of great suggestions, did a couple of sketches (something we can tweak in a week), so that's what Oscar is working on now. Apologies for the delay but in the grand scheme of things a week delay is more than manageable.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Can't wait for the next update, this looks awesome. Hellgate has always been one of my most anticipated locations and I think it has the best build up. It's presented as a mythical and unexplored place, even more so than the Abyss. This is what going through a black hole would probably feel like ;P.
modify_inline.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom