Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD April update

likaq

Arcane
Memory leaks and loading:

We tried different things, including reviving Torque Memory Manager, but to no avail. We updated the engine to the latest version (March 2013), which comes with some bug fixes and neat features, but sadly does nothing about the memory problem.

We used a 3rd party memory leak detector, which doesn’t show anything “leaking”. Torque eats a lot of resources by default and uses more every time you load a game, which is about 50MB per load. The base memory load-out is about 1.5GB, so ten reloads will push it to 2GB.

When Windows feels that it had enough, it refuses to throw more memory at the fucking thing and it crushes ignobly.

Nick decided to attack the problem from a different angle and wrote some code to support level specific datablocks loading, which reduced the overall memory usage to 1GB on the biggest locations and reduced the loading speed by 50 to 90%, depending on what we’re loading, which makes a hell of a difference. Coincidentally, it reduced the memory per load to 10MB instead of 50, which should help a lot.

Stay tuned for more updates.

State of the game.

We’re doing the final Maadoran pass, going over loose ends and such, expanding the content a bit, etc. For example, if you pass a streetwise check in the merc vignette, the merchant refers you to a man in Maadoran:

“If you\'re ever in Maadoran, talk to Kemnebi and tell him I sent you. He’s a careful man and doesn\'t hire anyone without a recommendation from someone he trusts.”

So, we did a good quest involving there different raiders and merc companies down on their luck, but it’s sort of shame to restrict this quest only to mercs who passed a streetwise check. At the same time, if you let everyone get the quest, the reward for passing that check is meaningless. So it has to be something interesting.

Now, if you recall, we had plans to port the arena demo to the new engine and combat system, add more fights and release it as a stand-alone, 5-dollar game, but then decided against it. Still, I wrote a mini-story for the extra content, so we tweaked it a bit to allow more options (didn’t need many for a straight combat game) and are adding it to Maadoran, which will be a good way to arrange an alternative introduction to Kemnebi.

Sneak preview:

You find Basil talking to a well-dressed man, backed by two grim-faced guards. The guards look at you as if they consider your very existence an insult.

“As I was just explaining to Basileios,” says the man, smiling politely, “we have a bit a problem. We have a lot of interests in this districts, as well as the others, and we employ local … collectors to keep things running smoothly. Imagine my surprise, when I was told that the collectors in this district have run into a problem and disappeared.

“We’re always concerned for the well-being of our employees, so we asked around and, well, here we are. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that mistakes were made, but let’s not dwell on the past. Moving forward is what I’m here to discuss.”
“Who are you?”
The man raises an eyebrow. “I would have thought that it would be obvious. I represent the Forty Thieves guild. Now, we’re willing to overlook what happened,” he says looking at Basil. “Of course, payments would have to be resumed –”

“Of course,” says Basil quickly.

“ – and examples would have to be made,” continues the man, looking at you. Basil shrinks and looks away. The bodyguards move toward you.
Start making examples of your own.

Wait, what about the beta-test?

Planning to start beta-testing Maadoran, related locations, and system changes in early June. Speaking of which:

R4

Looking better and better. Ivan's mostly working on DS these days, but he found some time to do the animation for the new 2H attacks: the "double-tap" and 'all-in" attacks. No, these are not their actual names.

Filler characters’ deadline:

We need them in by the end of May. We’d like to thank everyone who wanted to expand the world we’ve created and add different viewpoints and opinions. If you’re thinking about or paid but didn’t have time to submit yet, now is the time.

I don’t have time to go through different characters now, so I’ll pick one of the last few to show you what you can expect:

"Hello. I didn't originally plan on doing a filler character when I pre-ordered, and haven't paid for the privilege yet, but this concept popped into my head while I was reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", and I thought I'd share it with you first and see if you think it's got legs. If you like it, I'll pay. (Great, now you're probably gonna say "Dude I love your shitty fanfic now GIVE ME MONIES!)

Right, so basically I wanted to make a character that details the sad and sordid history of Antidas' lordship. Antidas obviously feels great pride when he relates the history of his ancestry, but he's understandably quiet about his personal history, and all we know about it are sketchy details about how he lost an "Important Fort" against unnamed "Enemies of Daratan". This conflict alone might make for an interesting history, but I thought it could be neat to have a personal account on how the aftermath of these battles affected Antidas. I thought it was interesting how Antidas seemed so accepting of his past failures, calmly dismissing them as "the price for his arrogance", yet surely going from 2 legions (which is how many thousand men?) to 100 soldiers must have been a huge blow to him, especially with the weight of the prophecy bearing down on him. I'd imagine he might have gone through quite a bout of despair and soul searching (and maybe some epic Fuhrer-bunker rages) before he regained the pride and sense of purpose which he displays when you first encounter him."

Coincidentally, that’s exactly what I had in mind when I’ve offered this option to people – someone playing the game, thinking of what we’ve shown, trying to read between the lines and figure out what the missing pieces are, and writing them as a point of view.

"Yeah, I worked for Antidas. Hell, it was more than just work. I said the oath and meant every word, god help me. It wasn't because I believed any of that 'Antidas, the last emperor' bullshit that his lordlings always went on about. Bottom line for me was that Antidas actually gave a shit.

“He'd actually go to the men, talk to them, tell them that the way he saw it, the prophecy wasn't just about him, he said we were all part the prophecy in our own small way, and that the prophecy was just so much empty blathering unless good men like us believed in it and followed his lead. We were the foundation, the soil: common and unremarkable, yet essential all the same. That was his perspective. Fine words and he spoke them well, though I'd understand if you think it sounds like so much horseshit coming out of my mouth. You weren't around back then.

“Anyway, things were really gearing up by the time I'd joined. His father had left him the throne less than a year prior, you see, so Antidas was really chomping at the bit to get things rolling, and he wasn't at all happy about how cautious and miserly his father had been. He'd put out quite a bit of gold to up the pay of his soldiers, so that his recruiters could compete with the Imperial Guards. It wasn't too long before his smiths were making armors in that grand old Imperial style. Antidas knew better than most how that old world’s charm could really grab hold of people, especially people living in a town like Teron. It wasn't long before the ranks began to swell, and in a little over half a year, Antidas was ready to stake his claim.”

I haven’t really edited it yet, but rest assured that any possible inconsistencies will be ironed out.

Character of the month

I was going to show you something cool and creepy, involving an ancient oracle and deeds so despicable that only a rising star of the Commercium or a true Dark Lord of the Sith would have the stomach to order them done, but it seems that a lot of people liked Lorenza and wanted to see more of her.

Fortunately, we usually show important characters from different angles and at different times, which is a great way to truly show them, without breaking their character. Thus, what one PC sees could be very different from what another sees and that’s why you’ll need different playthroughs to understand characters better.

So, the merchant would have to try to get her on board of the conspiracy train, the assassin will be send to kill her, a praetor would see her if she gains power, and characters who are open to opportunities will see her when she rules.

screens: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3291.0.html

:bounce::bounce::bounce::yeah:

AngryKobold

Arcane
State of the game.

We’re doing the final Maadoran pass, going over loose ends and such, expanding the content a bit, etc.
Filler characters’ deadline:
Character of the month
:roll:

They have their fun with writing a book. That's great. There's a big niche for books trying to overheat the graphics card. But what about the game? Do they even remember it's a game? Games usually are something more than teleport travel between nodes in dialog graph. Like for example, combat... fuck, nevermind. It's a dead end here.

Memory leaks and loading:

We tried different things, including reviving Torque Memory Manager, but to no avail. We updated the engine to the latest version (March 2013), which comes with some bug fixes and neat features, but sadly does nothing about the memory problem.

We used a 3rd party memory leak detector, which doesn’t show anything “leaking”.
Oh... that's a complete surprise. Both the error and "successful" attempts at fixing it. Never seen it coming. So... it won't be the next thursday?

Tigranes

Arcane
Delightful. Get it done, Vince. Excited.

Avoiding reading the spoilers now really, demo was a good enough show and now we want the whole thing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If by idealism you mean "my game is IDEAL all who thinks otherwise needs an edgy Awesome button" - then yeah that's how idealist VD is.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How the Developer posting with such avatar:

497.jpg

Can't be Idealistic as Fuck? Would love to read interview between VD and Rex. Keep polishing those bites Iron Tower and see you next Thursday. :hero:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Release the fucking game this year :rpgcodex:It doesn't have to be perfect, I can deal with some technical issues or non-gamebreaking bugs. Just make yourself a deadline or you will end up as Cleve, polishing the game 17 years after.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Plus there will be a huge competition in cRPGs from the end of the year until spring 2014. Wasteland, PE, Shadowrun, Might and Magic X, Divinity OS. They shouldn't try to compete with them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Plus there will be a huge competition in cRPGs from the end of the year until spring 2014. Wasteland, PE, Shadowrun, Might and Magic X, Divinity OS. They shouldn't try to compete with them.

A "New Age of Incline"-themed RPG bundle on Steam is the solution. So whoever buys one of these games sees it's part of the bundle and is encouraged to buy them all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: Looks funny with the hat. You need to rotate the glasses a bit. Why is it inverted?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If by idealism you mean "my game is IDEAL all who thinks otherwise needs an edgy Awesome button" - then yeah that's how idealist VD is.
Well, I have to admire your dedication. You've been bitching about the game non-stop since the demo was released. It's been more than a year and you show no signs of letting go. Let's examine the roots of the butthurt and try to understand what changed a sweet, wide-eyed boy who loved NWN to death into a bitter and slightly retarded man. What radicalized him and why?

Admittedly, the first step on the path to butthurt was the release of the combat demo. When most people praised it rather mindlessly, Skyway was the only who saw the truth - "why the first demo of a "C&C-fap-fap-fap-oh-god-C&C-based game" is all about combat with all those discussions in GRPGD and all?" Does the game even exist? Sadly, he ended up like most truthsayers - forerer alone.

When the second demo was out, once again Skyway saw what nobody else did - the game was horribly broken and nothing worked, nothing at all:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/thursday-is-finally-here.70531/page-3#post-2016643

"...
- Ranged chars are utterly broken. It's impossible to play as a ranged char at all. Why? Because all combat takes place in extremely tight areas. So you may as well consider ranged char to be non existent in the game.
- Combat chars are broken in general. A melee char requires 4 stats to be good. STR, DEX, CON, PER. Essentially 2 ranged stats are enforced on melee because they affect stuff too. If you still don't get what the problem is
- The problem is that diplo chars require only 2 stats. INT and CHA. And that's it. It's much easier to create a diplo char than a combat char of the same efficiency. Combat char will always have stats spread thin.
- And it's impossible to create a mix of both. Because 4 stats for melee, 2 stats for diplo. The game is predisposed to a clicking-on-dialogues-all-the-time gameplay. But if I wanted to do that - I'd play some adventure game with puzzles.
Actually you do need all 4. Not good enough STR? Shit damage. CON? You die all the time. DEX? You dodge at a speed of a turtle. Low PER? You stop hitting well. All of it in the end means that you die die die die die."

Upon examining this post it becomes clear that playing NWN and KOTOR 7 times have caused an irrepairable damage to the young man's highly impressionable and not all that well developed brain. He's lost a vital ability to play games that required more than manual dexterity or pressing buttons on cue. He mastered the art of identifying and maxing useful stats, but he was completely baffled by the concept of trade-offs and finding ways to do more with less. As his frustrations grew, so did his butthurt.

Never forget.

:hero:

MetalCraze

Arcane
See. I told you. The problem is not with the game putting the player into retarded ambushes for no reason. The problem is with the player.

VD is idealist like that.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Jaesun is trying to establish a Codex hivemind in his image. Suck the living slime jizz out of any developer that promises "Stuff", free of criticism, and anyone who disagrees is a shitposter. Like VD, he's an idealist, and I hope more fuckers like Roguey register here, if only to balance things out.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What a complete surprise, a shitposter.
What exactly is shitposting about complaining about an update that mostly talks about writing and quest design without talking about the rest of gameplay (combat, etc.)?
Was "the rest of gameplay" not presented adequately in two demos? What's there to talk about? We talked about changes to the combat system (shields, block, THC) when we were working on the combat system, prior to the release of R3. After R3 there isn't much that we can say about combat. It's turn-based?

R4 changes are of a different nature, so short of mentioning the changes affecting the chargen and new attacks, I'd rather let people play it first. So, overall, it's quite clear at this point what the game is and isn't. It's not a new project where the developer talks about anything but gameplay, is it?

So, I talk about things that matter - optimization, the new beta test, quest design and content. I don't know if the Kobold is a shitposter or not, but his post is hardly an example of a constructive criticism or an honest attempt to start a discussion. The last comment is downright retarded.

AngryKobold

Arcane
What a complete surprise, a shitposter.
I liked it more when you're spamming your "people actually read his posts". There was some subtlety behind. "I went through your posting history", it seemed to say, "you wrote nothing of value, you're unworthy of any attention. You can die and nobody notices. Now shut the hell up". Now it's just "shitposter" and "shitposter". You're getting popamole.

VD? He already had his "constructive criticism". There was enough of it here since last spring. In my opinion he decided to prove any debate with him is as constructive as SETI project... and did his best. So why should I care. All my complains were already written by someone else with no visible result. Constructive maybe I am now not, but at least my attitude is honest. Disappointment, mostly. Maybe also some disgust towards people too dumb to see obvious fuck- ups.

Once AOD reaches more advanced state, I may make some more active commentary. Considering it's gonna remain as it is, "downright retarded" would be a compliment.

The update: there's a mention about filler characters, while the update itself is a filler. Entry on progress in writing interactive book. Again. Character of month... hell, no. Waste of server space of month. Stop it. It has no informational value.

It's as if the Fallout in 1997 had its Web 2.0 website filled with useless noise. "So, what's the state of project? What's the release date? Are they gonna fix the all crap people complained about?"- asks visitor. And what he gets is: "Hey! Look at the character of month. A zombie mutant with bonsai tree growing out of his head".

Writing is the least problem here.

Current state of gameplay and mechanics is... discussive. It remains so even if you're a dicklicker beyond any help. I expect a clear announcements. Like "It's exactly what you'll see in the final version. Fuck you". Or "We're still dicking around, after all there's no real deadline".

The memory issues... I know it's been reported since R2, nearly year ago. It justifies any sarcasm.

All of this makes the updates either funny or fucking annoying and pointless. Depends on perspective.

Just can't wait to may update.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Nobody's forcing you to read my posts as well, you know

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom