Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone tried the NWN2 module Dark Waters?

AlanC9

Liturgist
DW1's been out for a while. DW2 is just now coming out of beta, available at Filefront.

http://hosted.filefront.com/PIPBoy4000

I'm not sure it's exactly an RPG. Most of DW1 and parts of DW2 play like an adventure game; some areas, in fact, are explicitly tributes to the Monkey Island games. Much of the gameplay in DW2 is a piracy/privateering/trading game, complete with little ship models firing cannons at each other and custom GUI elements to control them. I'm not sure how well this is balanced, but it's playable and fun

C&C is limited to some of the sidequest areas; there's a main quest faction choice in DW2, but it doesn't play out yet. Not too surprising since we're at part 2 of a five-part series.

If genre mash-ups work for you, it's worth a look.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I hated Dark Waters. The opening dungeon had almost zero character interaction and zero combat. All that was there to do was read the description of the statues that were standing around, and do a certain puzzle involving mirrors and light. I found it pretty boring and didn't bother to continue.

The Conan module for NWN2, however, was really good. I liked how you chose the region of your birth at the beginning, and that gave certain stats bonuses. It had really well-written dialogue, and it played out pretty well.

Starwars

Arcane
I've played DW1 and some of the DW2 beta.

What I don't like about these mods is that the author, while being a talented guy, kinda suffers from the "let's put in everything". So you've got lots of *really* shitty voiceacting, you've got minigames all over the place and in DW2 you've got the High Seas system. Now, the High Seas system is a very impressive thing to put into NWN2 (and shows how powerful the toolset is), but it's essentially Pirates!, just not as good.

The gameworld was also quite promising, sort of steampunkish. But he kinda ruins it by *really* obvious crossovers to our own world. I can't help but facepalm when I run into a black guy that has a really overdone Jamaican accent, or whatever the case may be.
Not only that, but I always got the feeling that these mods are barely hanging together as far as bugs. I stopped in DW2 when I got crashed upon entering certain buildings. But to tell the truth, in following the authors blog, he really has tried to hunt down this particular issue but to no avail, and it's likely to do with a bug in NWN2 itself.
But there are many situations like that, where the mod feels very, very unpolished.

I think the guy is actually a good writer, and he manages to establish a fairly believable (were it not for the voiceacting) 'youthful' and humorfilled relationship between the main characters, and I often find the dialogue options funny.

Still, not a mod for me I'm afraid. But if those crashing issues ever gets fixed (either by Adam Miller or Obsidian), then I'll probably play through it.

Harp & Crysanthemum is by far my favourite NWN2 module for now. Well-written, polished, a pretty good story and stunning area design. Not to much in C&C, but the rest of the mod is just good to the point that I don't care much.

Haven't tried out the Conan mod though, might try that out.

LastAngryBat

Novice
Starwars said:
Harp & Crysanthemum is by far my favourite NWN2 module for now. Well-written, polished, a pretty good story and stunning area design. Not to much in C&C, but the rest of the mod is just good to the point that I don't care much.

Seconded even though I despise harpers with a passion.

This game had some rave reviews on NWN2 IGN, so I thought I'd give it a try. Nope. The 20 minute prologue was annoying and nothing else was much better. Harp was ok... it at least had a more authentic feel to it, and you didn't start off as an orphan in the care of a foster family.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have tried a few times to play this mod, but I just can't get over the whole "God" and references to bible passages (i.e. the answer to one of the puzzles is 316, like in John 3:16).

That just bugged me, and I could never finish it. What little I did play was... ok. The whole gun and psy powers seemed like a cool idea.

hotdognights

Novice
I liked it well enough, but it would have been about 10x better without the awful AWFUL voice acting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom