Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone else enjoy thinking about playing RPG's more than playing them?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are madmen. My girlfriend is off visiting her parents. You know what that means? NO BEDTIME! I can play video games all night and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

The real problem is making a decision on what the fuck to play. What pairs well with stimulants?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Also stuff impresses itself upon you when you are younger in a way that simply doesn't happen when you're older. There's a reason experiences can be 'formative'. You can't play everything for the first time.

Also stuff impresses itself upon you when you are younger in a way that simply doesn't happen when you're older. There's a reason experiences can be 'formative'. You can't play everything for the first time.

Exactly. I also do this. I've played a number of games, loved some, regretted many and barely anything new has anything interesting to add to the genre for me any more. Certain games have been very defining, formative experiences and there simply has not been anything as interesting and entertaining or just plain better since.

I actually want to play something good but barely find anything worthwhile and I am absolutely terrified of dragging myself into another obsession-driven dredge of banality. Especially the grind. Can no longer suffer pointless grind.

I made an exception for Underrail, though, because the entire game held together so well, one of those "rarities". Rock solid and totally worth it.

Styg better make a party-based tactical spin-off. I would play that in a heart beat.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yes, but in my case it's not that I don't have time, it's that I actually sit down to play the RPG and it turns out to be pure shit

Alkarl

Learned
Sometimes.. Sometimes I get weird moods where I want to play a type of game that just doesn't exist.

So I look up tubetube videos of dudes playing games I might like, get inspired and load one up. Eventually bail cause it's typically some story-heavy piece of shit; which inevitably necessitates a return to the types of games I actually like: blobbers, rogue-likes, oldskool crpgs. I'm happy again for awhile.

Then that fucking mood comes back.

I have been finding it easier to take full breaks from gaming when this occurs. Do some deep cleaning, car maintenance, work on my own little game projects. Better than tricking myself into throwing money into a raging dumpster fire.

Deprived of good RPGs, I have started going through my adventure games backlog. It helps. Every now and then, I'm amazed that I haven't played this or that back when it came out at the height of my got-nothing-but-time teenager years.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Spoiler alert: Doki Doki Literature Club is a gay weeaboo game that takes on the appearance of a dating sim but eventually the girls will begin to kill themselves and the story takes a dark turn. One of the girls is behind it all and is obsessive of you and does fourth wall breaking stuff because that's supposed to be scary and clever. You close the game and everything resets.

There, four hours of my life I spent so I could do the right thing and spare you.
how shit is it

Mustawd

reality of life, as you get older you have more responsibilities, thus less time to actually play games, and more importantly less "mental" time to commit to games. What I mean by that is, when I play a game I like to go full in to the game eg learn all the rules of it, and really get immersed in the world of the game or whatever. To do that I need not just physical time but also the mental space to create this, when you are busy doing stuff, stressing about things, I usually find I am just to mentally tired by the end of the day to even want to go deep into a complex RPG or strategy game. So one option is just play a 'junk food' type of game like Hearthstone and turn your brain off, alternatively go watch a lets play, or browse RPG codex etc, and live vicariously through other peoples experience. If you are into games enough as I assume most here are, even discussion of games, game systems, narrative, whatever, can be exciting and stimulating.

this.

However, when I do have chunks of free time I do still enjoy rpgs and games in general. I just cant stand anything over 60 hrs generally.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
You are madmen. My girlfriend is off visiting her parents. You know what that means? NO BEDTIME! I can play video games all night and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

The real problem is making a decision on what the fuck to play. What pairs well with stimulants?
Real time strategy or tactics of any kind.

Random Addendum: Recently I played Fallout Tactics how it was intended in quasi real time and....it was glorious. They really did not design the game for turn based at all. Amazing. It works ok, but not playing it like that the whole time.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Since joining the codex in 2013 I am now realizing that I have only played, to any real significant amount (completion or near completion), a handful of RPG's: New Vegas, PoE1, Icewind Dale 1, and then maybe 20-25 hours each of D:OS1 and Lords of Xulima. I think that's all.

I've realized that I enjoy the fantasy of playing RPG's more than the reality. I enjoy sitting at work daydreaming about all of the RPG's that I could be playing, but then never play any of them when I actually have spare time. Could be my depression or outgrowing them, but I know I use to love them.

I also enjoy reading the codex and living almost vicariously through others who enjoy games. The discussion and news section is more entertaining then actually playing the games. I'll watch the trailers and previews and reviews, and the discussion around them) but never actually play them.

Anyone else this way?

I sympathize with these sentiments. It's not easier as we get older with the daily mental drain.

Have you tried Balrum?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What pairs well with stimulants?

RTwP.

Is the implication that you need to be on drugs truly enjoy RTwP? Or are you speaking from experience?

I was leaning toward finishing Deadfire, but I can't make myself get back into it enough to start the program. You may be right about stimulants and RTwP as that was how I finished POE (and upon reflection, may have impacted my assessment of the game).

You are right about this. Really helps with the micromanagement.

Edit: so I’m now... stimulated. And of course I’m writing out pro and con lists for half the games I’ve left unfinished or just have sitting in my backlog. Probably should’ve started playing before self medicating.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
What pairs well with stimulants?

RTwP.

Is the implication that you need to be on drugs truly enjoy RTwP? Or are you speaking from experience?

I was leaning toward finishing Deadfire, but I can't make myself get back into it enough to start the program. You may be right about stimulants and RTwP as that was how I finished POE (and upon reflection, may have impacted my assessment of the game).

You are right about this. Really helps with the micromanagement.

Edit: so I’m now... stimulated. And of course I’m writing out pro and con lists for half the games I’ve left unfinished or just have sitting in my backlog. Probably should’ve started playing before self medicating.
Give me the list and we will work through it.

Toront is now addicted to Jet

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Naw dog, i Enjoy playing games plenty. The issue is that the RPGs being made are overwhelmingly shit or non-games and when you finally find a decent game it's over before you know it.

This leads to a situation with me mostly playing Dota2, CS:GO and various strategy games even though I would prefer playing RPGs.

Molina

Savant
Wouldn't this mean that you gentlemen (and ladies) are ready and want to create your own game?
I don't know if it's a joke, but It's exactly what I'm doing. The good side is you want to play some old RPG to get inspiration. It's a win-win process.

Master

Arbiter
This happened to me with NW2. Spent 50 hours or so planing my build. Then when it came time to play...

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Wouldn't this mean that you gentlemen (and ladies) are ready and want to create your own game?
I don't know if it's a joke, but It's exactly what I'm doing. The good side is you want to play some old RPG to get inspiration. It's a win-win process.

I think this is the answer. If you are really so angsty that you cannot play games but are still obsessed with them, and spend all your spare time reading and thinking about them then I think you are probably a frustrated game designer.

I know I am in this position myself and I can see now that over the last few years I have often been playing on my PC and then realize I am not really enjoying myself, just going through the motions because I am just so used to doing it, so I finally started working on my own game project recently, I will not say its easy but it creates a very interesting and unique mind set to actually create something for yourself.

I agree in part but I also think this is a very negative and defeatist attitude. You could say this about anything, books, art, music etc. So why bother doing anything then? I think this ties into the creation issue, you reach a point where you have consumed so much that you then need to somehow expel it from yourself, via the act of creation. People who are obsessed with books and reading become writers, people who are obsessed with art become artists, maybe it would be healthier for gamers if they made their own games?

Risewild

Arbiter
I spend more time thinking about custom P&P RPG systems than thinking about playing RPGs.
I am also lucky because I married a gamer girl too, so we play games whenever we feel like anyway.

It is hard to find good "recent" cRPGs, and I played the classics so much that sometimes I just feel a void inside. I want to play a new good cRPG, but there is nothing available and it sucks. Those times are the only times I think about playing RPGs more than I play them, because they don't exist.
:rage:

vazha

Arcane
Not really, no. And I wish both you and Agame best of luck. I wish I were in your shoes too, but alas, that's not to be.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Meta-gaming is for the elite.

Recently, I went through the Arcanum campaign in my mind - during chargen. Like, I need this stat and that stat for this and that, I go here and do that, jump over there and do that etc. I thought about Fate Points, schematics, the whole deal.

As a result, I didn't need to replay it. Saved me lots of mouse-clicks and energy.

steel legion

Novice
Do you start them and drop them half way? Or do you just think of then and end up never playing them?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I like both. I have phases, were I don't play any games, but I still like to think about them whenever I can. I think about what I like, what I don't like, what stories to rewrite. It's quite fun and keeps the mind busy.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Meta-gaming is for the elite.

Recently, I went through the Arcanum campaign in my mind - during chargen. Like, I need this stat and that stat for this and that, I go here and do that, jump over there and do that etc. I thought about Fate Points, schematics, the whole deal.

As a result, I didn't need to replay it. Saved me lots of mouse-clicks and energy.

Arcanum ...
That's exactly how i feel about this game, i enjoyed it when it was released, maybe played it twice, finished it once.
Now, i can't touch it, i tried to replay the russian mod, the first area alone turns me off, after killing 3 or 4 wolves, i shut the game down and uninstall it, not only it's bad, i can't stand Virgil but it makes me think about the tedious parts like the dwarven mines.

If a mod changed the beginning and removes those mines, i might be able to replay it.
Also, Tarant, was fun but it's too big and i'm compelled to do every single side quest in RPGs, actually, i usually prefer side quests than the main quest ...

And i also agree with the OP, right now, for some reason, i can play video games and even finish them but i was in this state of mind for years (maybe 7-10 years), trying games but never going really far from character creation.

Still, for Arcanum, thinking about playing it is far superior than playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom