Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone else enjoy thinking about playing RPG's more than playing them?

jdinatale

Cipher
Since joining the codex in 2013 I am now realizing that I have only played, to any real significant amount (completion or near completion), a handful of RPG's: New Vegas, PoE1, Icewind Dale 1, and then maybe 20-25 hours each of D:OS1 and Lords of Xulima. I think that's all.

I've realized that I enjoy the fantasy of playing RPG's more than the reality. I enjoy sitting at work daydreaming about all of the RPG's that I could be playing, but then never play any of them when I actually have spare time. Could be my depression or outgrowing them, but I know I use to love them.

I also enjoy reading the codex and living almost vicariously through others who enjoy games. The discussion and news section is more entertaining then actually playing the games. I'll watch the trailers and previews and reviews, and the discussion around them) but never actually play them.

Anyone else this way?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah, but games in general, and all genres too. i do enjoy watching videos about games or gaming, or a good let's play (very rare).

i've analyzed this and i came to the simplest conclusion: i've simply played too many games. i already know how everything will play. i don't need to play it.

same with movies too, although in a slightly different way. movies can still surprise you with a really really good actor or really amazing scene work or camera work that supersedes the script, but it's much harder for a game to establish the same visceral connection on a veteran gamer who's played everything since a toddler.

LordofSyn

Scholar
As a tabletop rpg game designer, I am always thinking about new aspects to work with whilst keeping the rules as light as possible.
Most vgrpgs are too limited by code and the devs limited budget.
Your imagination has no such budget which makes ttrpgs still the purest multiplayer gaming experience around.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I also find this, I spend a lot of time reading about or thinking about games, watching videos etc, but less time playing them.

I see two main factors here: one is the boring reality of life, as you get older you have more responsibilities, thus less time to actually play games, and more importantly less "mental" time to commit to games. What I mean by that is, when I play a game I like to go full in to the game eg learn all the rules of it, and really get immersed in the world of the game or whatever. To do that I need not just physical time but also the mental space to create this, when you are busy doing stuff, stressing about things, I usually find I am just to mentally tired by the end of the day to even want to go deep into a complex RPG or strategy game. So one option is just play a 'junk food' type of game like Hearthstone and turn your brain off, alternatively go watch a lets play, or browse RPG codex etc, and live vicariously through other peoples experience. If you are into games enough as I assume most here are, even discussion of games, game systems, narrative, whatever, can be exciting and stimulating.

Secondly it could be burnout, playing to many games, what can be fresh or interesting? But I really doubt this argument, if you are truly into games then I think it is a life long habit. I am very doubtful I would ever stop playing PC games. There are still so many old classic games I have yet to play on top of the rare good new games, my biggest issue is as stated above, not enough time for them.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't enjoy thinking about RPGs more than playing them... But recently that's what I have time to do, so... :dealwithit:

Piotrovitz

Savant
I can feel you OP.
I think about all the shit I'm going to play, stoked to plan entire party builds etc, but when it comes to actual playing I get burned out after few hours :negative:

Play UnderRail. Problem solved.
This exactly - for me, Underrail was the cure for this malaise and got me drawn in like I haven't been since BG2 or FO

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I have this. Except when I decide to replay old rpgs that I already played before. Then it works out ok.

There's no cure for it, but death.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This exactly - for me, Underrail was the cure for this malaise and got me drawn in like I haven't been since BG2 or FO

Underrail plays slowly, doesn't have any companions, and sometimes refers to female PCs as male. Fallout and BG are far superior. And of course, Jagged Alliance 2 takes a dump on Underrail from Everest heights.

Unwanted

Unwanted
Overall video games feels like a extended masturbation to me.i buy a new old gem from gog.com...play for 3 hours,drop off,never comeback to play again and then move on to another new old gem game.

I can't sticky with one game from start to end anymore.

Lastly game i have put alot of time is fallout new vegas ! that game was so good ! i played and replayed fallout new vegas for 100 hours straight even with the game crashing every 30 minutes,there a time i have played fallout new vegas for 2 days straight whitout sleep !

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
Wouldn't this mean that you gentlemen (and ladies) are ready and want to create your own game?

Ivan

Arcane
as you get older you have more responsibilities, thus less time to actually play games, and more importantly less "mental" time to commit to games.
:salute:

amen brother, but I would also add you ideally learn what makes you most happy and optimize your free time to do that. also, if you value your alone time, maybe don't have children or find a woman with similar self serving interests/hobbies

Lurker47

Savant
for the op i recommend you playing this little unknown masterpiece called doki doki literature club:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

Amazing game that is going to restore you love of playing video games.
I want someone to make a list of every flavor-of-the-month game from the past 5 years and analyze what they have in common but unfortunately, everyone who makes videogame videos is the kind to praise them like they're the best thing since sliced bread every single time.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Spoiler alert: Doki Doki Literature Club is a gay weeaboo game that takes on the appearance of a dating sim but eventually the girls will begin to kill themselves and the story takes a dark turn. One of the girls is behind it all and is obsessive of you and does fourth wall breaking stuff because that's supposed to be scary and clever. You close the game and everything resets.

There, four hours of my life I spent so I could do the right thing and spare you.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I enjoy thinking about games and also playing them. Sometimes it's hard to start a new game though, if the game has extensive character creation it's hard to make just the right character and I can spend a fucking week just thinking what kinda character to make. It's kinda tiring, actually. :lol:

eggdogg

Learned
Sounds like the board game Roll Player might be what your hungry for. No adventure just making characters.
In Roll Player, you will compete to create the greatest fantasy adventurer who has ever lived, preparing your character to embark on an epic quest. Roll and draft dice to build up your character’s attributes. Purchase weapons and armor to outfit your hero. Train to gain skills and discover your hero’s traits to prepare them for their journey. Earn Reputation Stars by constructing the perfect character. The player with the greatest Reputation wins the game and will surely triumph over whatever nefarious plot lies ahead!

Lagi

Savant
Enjoying things is for children.

I ducking make a schedule for playing games. And then force myself to play them, instead spending my time searching for next hype to read about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom