Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any turn-based JRPG that discourages "attack button" spam ?

Unwanted

Unwanted
I have been hating jrpgs with final fantasy/dragon quest gameplay style and i know why ! every game with this is style you can just spam normal attack to win every random encounter and use Heal spell or Heal potions after the battle because there no challeging encounter until the bosses and others spells besides Heal are waste of Magic Points.

There any traditional jrpg(no SRPG)that has challenging encounters besides the bosses and useful spells besides "Heal" ?.

Mustawd

Check out dungeon crawlers like Elminage Gothic, Jap Wizardries, and Etrian Odyssey.

Levarious

Novice
Depends on how old you want a game but the former insane difficulty Community has mods for games that make the games tougher or balance them out and make status effects useful and gameplay to the point where you have to use your head and not just attack or you'll die. Many of these mods are on YouTube if you want to see how they are as lunatic screamer has done play through of many of them.

http://ngplus.net

My recommend Golden Sun Fallen star and risen star mod, and super Mario rpg Armageddon.

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/30-golden-sun-book-1-fallen-star/

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/31-golden-sun-book-2-risen-star/

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/40-super-mario-rpg-armageddon/

They rebalance the games to Nerf overpowered stuff, de nerf useless status effects and make enemies tougher so you can't spam the attack button to win while adding new items and using the games mechanics more.

Final fantasy mods I recommend are if your old school but not nearly nes age are

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/2-final-fantasy-iv-the-darkness-within/

Rebalances game and completely changes story.

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/category/12-final-fantasy-vii-new-threat/

In my opinion the best mod for final fantasy vii but it's only for PC as it adds a shit ton of content to it and completely rebalances the game wow fixing up mechanics so if you're looking for a challenge and wants fresh stuff then this is it.

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/category/21-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/

Mod for Final Fantasy 6 that yada yada rebalances and tries to Nerf the system so you can't create God characters which is the stable for Final Fantasy while introducing new mechanics you know what I'm going to say.

And I remember you said something about Dragon Quest and while these aren't really rebalancing they are still interesting enough to post. The first one is a complete conversion of the first Dragon Quest that instead has them the world being near dead cyberpunk world full of mutants ,Killer Robots and horrible Abominations.

It has a new story and new Dungeons and all that and soundtrack.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1/

And here is it's sequel

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/143/

One more I forgot to recommend is a mod for Grandia on the PlayStation called grandia Redux which rebalances the game so you get moves in spells faster( you'll need em ) and status effects are useful and buffs are useful. The mod makes you take advantage of the whole battle system as you can't just sit there and tank bosses most powerful attacks anymore you have to learn to move out the way to an area where the attack won't hit you or you have to learn to defend just to survive or you can cancel it or try to put him to sleep so you can get some breathing room to buff, heal or split your people apart so his normal attacks don't rape your team. This is definitely one where you don't just Spam the attack button to win but you have the tools to win if you use your head.

http://grandia.wikia.com/wiki/Grandia_ReDux

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei. After the first quarter of the game the enemies stop having generic weak / strong against resistances and they start having resistances where they can either drain your attacks into health or reflect them back. This includes physical attacks as well, and having an attack reflected back at you can easily result in a OHKO. Basically you can't just drone along, you have to use as diverse as possible of a party so you don't come across enemies who are immune to your attacks.

The basic attack is kinda weak in Etrian Odyssey and something you use against normal mooks to conserve TP in the dungeon but vs boss fights and FOEs, well, the way you kill them depends a lot on your party setup. You can make a cookie cutter team that plays like most generic jrpgs but it'd be horribly inefficient and this kind of party will be quite difficult to later on. Most good parties rely on some kind of setup where you buff your party or debuff enemies and get ready to unleash some heavy attacks once all the conditions you're looking for are favorable. Examples include having a class with you that has attacks that deal X amount of damage that is multiplied based on how many ailments an enemy has.

Unwanted

Unwanted
the golden sun thing looks good i should check it out

Shin megami looks good too.

Momock

Augur
In Grandia 2 you have 2 type of normal attacks: one that deals all the damage and one that deal only 75% of it but interrupts the ennemy if it has begun it's own attack. So you have at least to take that into consideration, includng during the easy fights where you use no magic.

There is also games where you make combos or your attacks consumes APs like in Breath op Fire IV or Neptunia, or games with skills besides the magic that encourages you to use them like the Trails series or Lufia II.

J1M

Arcane
I have been hating jrpgs with final fantasy/dragon quest gameplay style and i know why ! every game with this is style you can just spam normal attack to win every random encounter and use Heal spell or Heal potions after the battle because there no challeging encounter until the bosses and others spells besides Heal are waste of Magic Points.

There any traditional jrpg(no SRPG)that has challenging encounters besides the bosses and useful spells besides "Heal" ?.
I wouldn't recommend any of the other games in the series, but the combat in Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (especially on the hard difficulty) is a nice tweak to the standard JRPG format.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/213030/

J1M

Arcane
I wouldn't recommend any of the other games

Are the other 2 just not good at all? Looks like rpgmaker stuff IIRC.
The first two look like 3D flash games. From what I recall they basically fired the company that made those and went with a 2-man team that already had an engine that would allow them to make a game that looked like Final Fantasy VI. The combat system used was an iteration of something that dev had done before, which is probably why it worked out well. Additionally, the writing in 3 is certainly the high point of the series.

The 4th game was done in similar style to 3, but it is longer and less interesting with a weird attempt to introduce pokemon elements to the combat. I couldn't finish it due to waning interest. My friend had the same outcome.

As a whole, that doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but to clarify, Rain-Slick 3 was one of the best games I played in 2012. And you shouldn't feel like you need to play the first two to enjoy it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Bravely Default and Bravely Second also have a pretty interesting combat system.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I have high hopes for Octopath traveller. From what I've seen the combat is pretty cool.

Unwanted

Unwanted
So i started playing breath of fire 1 today,after 3 hours playing i already bored as fuck ! same old shit: buy potions and the best Equipments -> leave town -> walk one meter -> random encounter -> attack -> enemies die with 2 hits -> win -> level up -> use potions -> walk one meter -> random encounter -> attack -> enemies die with 1 hit -> win -> level up -> use potions -> walk -> find a new town -> buy potions and the best Equipments -> leave town -> walk one meter -> random encounter...

I have no idea how can people play games like this from start to end,even the endless grinding in MMos feels less boring than this.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So i started playing breath of fire 1 today,after 3 hours playing i already bored as fuck ! same old shit: buy potions and the best Equipments -> leave town -> walk one meter -> random encounter -> attack -> enemies die with 2 hits -> win -> level up -> use potions -> walk one meter -> random encounter -> attack -> enemies die with 1 hit -> win -> level up -> use potions -> walk -> find a new town -> buy potions and the best Equipments -> leave town -> walk one meter -> random encounter...

I have no idea how can people play games like this from start to end,even the endless grinding in MMos feels less boring than this.

Why would you ever start with a older era jrpg(especially breath of fire) if you hate grinding?Those games are known to be grind simulators.
Just play a Japanese dungeon crawler,you can easily start with the snes wizardry games.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane

Why would you make a post asking for recommendations and then, instead of picking up one of the dozen recommendations play one of the most basic jrpgs instead?

Unwanted

Unwanted

Why would you ever start with a older era jrpg(especially breath of fire) if you hate grinding?Those games are knows to be grind simulators.
Just play a Japanese dungeon crawler,you can easily start with the snes wizardry games.

The problem is not grinding(Breath of fire is very easy and straightfoward game)the problem is the monotonous and shallow gameplay,you just using the same command "attack" in every random encounter to kill trash mobs(imagine a turn-based slow paced diablo 1).

In those JRPGs there no challenging encounters,no "strategy",no need to think...unlike the turn-based WRPGs.

Unwanted

Unwanted

Why would you make a post asking for recommendations and then, instead of picking up one of the dozen recommendations play one of the most basic jrpgs instead?

I wanted a JRPG like final fantasy/dragon quest but without the shit gameplay so i give breath of fire a try because i heard the game is hard,but is not the game is pretty easy and boring.I still need to try out the shin megami games.

L'Montes

Educated
Any of the mainline SMT's with the press-turn system will punish you for hitting an enemy strength (you lose a turn), and reward you for hitting a weakness (extra turn, kinda). I saw this was mentioned in part (drain/absorb effects on attacks), but I wanted to reinforce Hobo Elf 's statement because it's more than just not doing damage or getting reflected in those context. A single misplaced attack can place you at a significant disadvantage even if it doesn't kill your unit.

Suicidal

Arcane

I wanted a JRPG like final fantasy/dragon quest but without the shit gameplay so i give breath of fire a try because i heard the game is hard,but is not the game is pretty easy and boring.I still need to try out the shin megami games.

Bruh, if you want challenging combat stop trying to find it in storyfaggot JRPGs for the lowest common denominator like Final Fantasy and play some Japanese dungeon crawlers or SRPGs. Many recommendations have already been provided in this very thread.

If you still insist on playing a Final Fantasy-like game, try Genius of Sappheiros. It's an indie JRPG with shit graphics and story but good and challenging combat and a shitload of different enemies and bosses to fight. You won't get very far in this game just by spamming attack even against random trash mobs.

Unwanted

Unwanted

Bruh, if you want challenging combat stop trying to find it in storyfaggot JRPGs for the lowest common denominator like Final Fantasy and play some Japanese dungeon crawlers or SRPGs. Many recommendations have already been provided in this very thread.

If you still insist on playing a Final Fantasy-like game, try Genius of Sappheiros. It's an indie JRPG with shit graphics and story but good and challenging combat and a shitload of different enemies and bosses to fight. You won't get very far in this game just by spamming attack even against random trash mobs.

this one looks a bit too "anime pedophilia" but i still going to check it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom