Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Any mutliplayer wargame you can recommend?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
For some reason I've been in the mood lately to play some fantasy miniature wargame. I've never played one online before, but in my day I did play the usual suspects like Warhammer, Confrontation, essentially wargames where you build an army / skirmish party via point lists and then battle another player with an army of roughly equal points.

So that is what I'm looking for. A quick search for AAA titles did not turn up many results, the unfinished Mordheim Early Access game is actually pretty much the only game I could find. Delving deeper I did find a couple Indie games that don't appear to have sold many copies to begin with and don't show much recent activity - if any at all - which indicates no active player base.

I am aware that there are programs like the Vassal Engine that let you play these type of games, but I'm not familiar with them in the sense that I don't know which program is the popular one or if there is actually one with a decent amount of activity.

So my question would probably rather be if there actually is any active AAA or Indie game that suits my needs out there?
And if not is there a "go to" substitute like the Vassal engine where all the cool kids hang out?

Failing both these options, let's drop the fantasy part. Any multiplayer Medieval/Sci-Fi/WWII/Historical/Modern turn based, point based wargame you can recommend?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Combat Mission by PBEM. Unless you're doing scenarios, you can do a randomized map + purchase units out of a force pool. Quite fun.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they have a F2P confrontation skirmish game called Dogs of War online.
I only played a little so cannot comment much.

oscar

Arcane
Pike and Shot is quite solid and a lot of fun. I did a
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pike-and-shot-polish-ottoman-online-skirmish.98340/ said:
multiplayer LP
that can give you an impression (though the mod we were using has since been supplanted by an official expansion).

EDIT: funnily enough a Sengoku Jidai mod has just came out which I'll test tonight.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Pike and Shot seems solid enough. Shame it lacks a strategic campaign. The battles of Pike and Shot with an Ageod campaign thrown in would be the stuff of dreams for me.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Dogs of War is as close as you will get to the Tabletop, sadly it has been abandoned by the developers and no one's playing anymore :/
http://steamcharts.com/app/219700 "1 playing 18 min ago, 4 24-hour peak" that's a real shame.

Watched some videos on youtube for the latest Combat Mission, it appears to be quite in-depth - was looking for something a teeny bit more casual to be quite honest.

Pike and Shot does seem very interesting indeed, especially the mixed units are intriguing.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
5f6be7rm.jpg

Dominions is fun indeed. But in this Thread I was looking specifically for a tactical Wargame, not a Grand Strategy game as explained at length in the original post. Thank you for the mindless plug thoughtful suggestion though.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
If you don't mind Play-by-Email then the more modern versions of the Steel Panthers games that are still updated to this day seem like perfect fits.

There's winSPWW2 covering World War 2: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html
And my personal favourite, winSPMBT covering the 1946-2020 period: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

The games also have one of the best dynamic campaign generators I have ever seen and I'm pretty sure it can be used for multiplayer too.

astrosmurf

Novice
It's not fantasy, but I have gotten a lot of play out of Memoir '44 Online. Apart from multiplayer it also has a surprisingly strong AI, which is well worth playing against.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom