Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any jrpgs i should play?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Dark Souls is a JARPG not a colloquial JRPG.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Saying Dark Souls is not a JRPG is just advertising your bias, i.e. "it's one of the good ones so it doesn't count". Just accept that JRPG is not really a genre, there are trends in Japanese RPG design (largely stemming from a combination of console first choices & anime/manga inspiration) but that's hardly enough to make it a genre, especially when man Jap games are closer in implementation to the roots of the genre (ultima & wizardry) than a lot of modern Western RPGs.

Elex

Arbiter
soul like is not a genre but a meme for people incapable of explain games mechanics.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
jRPGs have been in decline since the the PS3 era hit. :negative:

From top of my head, The World Ends With You felt very refreshing. Mind you, it's full on Japanese whackery, nonetheless very fun to play. Nomura's design felt right at home if you consider the game is settled on Shibuya and the soundtrack was killer for a DS game. Last Square-Enix game in which they genuinely put effort in.

- Edit: I have no idea how Nintendo of America didn't throw a fit about the music, I mean:

Give Me All Your Love…

Watch me with your scary eyes
Please me with your silky touch. Come on
Keep your eyes on me always
I break it down
I’m not the same

Feel Me when you come inside
Touch me when you want me anytime
Don’t wake me up ’till the morning light

“Get up on your feet, move your body, bring me the passion”
Give me your nasty hands. Come on now. I’m getting over you
“Get up on your feet, move your body, bring me the passion”
Give me your nasty hands. It’s you. You can set me free

Give me all your love
Give me all your love
Don’t give it to someone else
Give me all your love
Give me all your love
Don’t share it with someone else

“I’m sending all my love, all my love for you”
All I want is your love and soul
“I’m sending all my love, all my love for you”
All I want is your love and soul

Give me all your love…

Treat me right as I do for you
Drive me crazy all night long
Take me up to the heaven

I’m sending you all my love.
I want your love. I want your love and soul.

:shredder:

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
jRPGs have been in decline since the the PS3 era hit. :negative:

I'd argue they moved to portables in order to combat increasing development budgets and deal with sales that did not follow accordingly on home consoles. It didn't help that what few notable JRPGs came to home consoles apparently didn't break the bank and even FF13 marked, for me at least, low point of the series and that was all western audience had for the entire last generation, unless you count Crisis Core so not even the greats came out unscathed. But even with portable titles kept in mind, considering Nintendo DS had a pretty crazy number of them, I would generally agree with you in that nothing has really captured my attention as a must-buy JRPG for a long while now. I do remember DS and 3DS having weak ass speakers that never really did justice to some of the amazing soundtracks games had. Radiant Historia comes to mind.

I think that's a bit of simplification, HeatEXTEND. For me PS1 era was really the peak of genre experimentation while actually getting to use new technologies so it wasn't all just "we're using Mode 7 to showcase what we can do" we saw during SNES' heyday. Maybe because a fair number of SNES JRPGs never officially made it to the west and it took until fan translations to play them? I don't know, but PS1 gets branded as the "JRPG machine" for a reason and so many great classics are on it. Even more if you branch out beyond just classical JRPGs.

psx-1-s.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
He's got Brave Fencer Musashi as well. But I was going to comment that the FF remakes don't count (and are arguably inferior to the original) and ditto for Ogre Battle. I could rattle off dozens of great PS1 rpgs though.

PS2 had some pretty cool stuff as well though, but I feel like it diverged too hard between paint by numbers sequels and stuff that was too experimental to sell, like where the SaGa series went, or BoF5. It needed more games like Jade Cocoon 2 or SMT Nocturne, which was a pretty happy medium.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SotN would be nice but it costs an arm and a leg to get a physical copy of it for the PS1. It'd be cheaper to buy a PSP and Rondo (since it comes with SotN).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Guys, guys. I obviously didn't put together that image. That would require effort.

Going back to play The Last Remnant. This game's music is so fukkin good. Also it has six-legged cat people who can quad-wield.

People say you need a guide to enjoy TLR, but that takes out so much of the game clearly designed to make you play it with one hand tied behind your back and still making it work. Occasionally it also blindfolds you for giggles.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
People say you need a guide to enjoy TLR, but that takes out so much of the game clearly designed to make you play it with one hand tied behind your back and still making it work. Occasionally it also blindfolds you for giggles.

I've beaten it before, couldn't defeat The Fallen, always planned to go back with NG+ and do it. Now my saves are long gone, so it's a fresh run for me. Wish me luck.

IPFreely

Educated
Has anyone played Disgaea 5 on the Switch? Is it worth picking up?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom