Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Any good SRPG's like this?

Lurker47

Savant
I don't really know how well this kind of thread is received but are there any SRPG's more like a CPRG or JRPG with just really strategic turn-based combat? I would say something like squad-based RPG's but that tends to have base management mechanics that I'd like to avoid. I'm fine with some form of resource management but I'd like it to be on a very direct level.

Sorry about the poopoo thread.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You also have the tactical JRPG:
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea (but it is quite grindy)
Telepath Tactics

Lurker47

Savant
Valkyria Chronicles
Telepath Tactics
Yeah, this is what I meant, basically. I would have had that as the prefix but there doesn't seem to be one.

Disgaea 2 is on the top of my wishlist.

Freddie

Savant
Valkyria Chronicles
Telepath Tactics
Can't say anything about the others but Valkyrie Chronicles is something I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Mordheim reminded me I forget to add Some 40K games:

Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate : Oldie but still without equal when it comes to leading space Marines in battle
40K: Deathwatch : Same scale as Chaos gate. Less epic, but faster to play, and has very good mission design. Reminded me of Incubation
Space Hulk: Ascension The one I like the least among those 3, but still serviceable if you want to kill Xenos for the Emprah

Also Incubation
It is more of a tactical puzzle, and quite old, but a pretty good one. Unfortunately, it also has a horrible UI.

Freddie

Savant
Also Incubation
It is more of a tactical puzzle, and quite old, but a pretty good one. Unfortunately, it also has a horrible UI.
+1. Though, it's one of the great games I never finished. I don't recall why exactly I didn't went with full LP with it, but I don't recall it was because of UI (or it was that bad).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It is the camera more than the UI that is to blame iirc. I guess they did the limited visibility on purpose, but it is not always convenient.

Freddie

Savant
It is the camera more than the UI that is to blame iirc. I guess they did the limited visibility on purpose, but it is not always convenient.
Ah... I don't actually recall it that well, but that I liked the puzzles, like you put it. If my memory serves, I think I dropped it because my version was juarez and something didn't work properly and then just didn't get to buy it later.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I don't really know how well this kind of thread is received but are there any SRPG's more like a CPRG or JRPG with just really strategic turn-based combat? I would say something like squad-based RPG's but that tends to have base management mechanics that I'd like to avoid. I'm fine with some form of resource management but I'd like it to be on a very direct level.

Sorry about the poopoo thread.

Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics sounds like exactly what you want, except it's Sony PSP-only (they never even made it available for the Vita :().

dungeons_dragons_tactics_21.jpg

I assume it can be emulated on a PC, but I have not done so myself.

There's also Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, which has a rather terrible reputation, but is actually pretty enjoyable if you like tactical dungeon crawls with not much of a story. It's basically like a dumbed-down Temple of Elemental Evil.

pool_l6.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics sounds like exactly what you want, except it's Sony PSP-only (they never even made it available for the Vita :().

dungeons_dragons_tactics_21.jpg

I assume it can be emulated on a PC, but I have not done so myself.
epsxe would be your best bet IMO. It can also run Ogre Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics which would match the requirements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom