Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good post Y2K space sims I mean arcade shooters

made

Arcane
The recent Wing Commander buzz made me play through Starlancer again and it was great, but way too short and unfortunately there never was a proper sequel. Now, the genre is deader than RPGs so wikipedia's list of space sims is rather compact, but some of them do look promising.

Starwraith series:
http://www.starwraith.com/main/go.htm

Dark Horizon:
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/DarkHorizon/

Earth & Beyond free emulator:
http://forum.enb-emulator.com/

Any of those worth playing? Other recommendations? If not, I guess there's always the Freespace and Privateer remakes...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gah! Don't call them space sims

Babylon 5: Danger & Opportunity if you want space sim (think newtonian physics and hyperspace modelled like in TV series if you've seen B5)

Freelancer if you want an arcade space shooter with a trader element and some exploration thrown into the mix.

Can't recommend anything else though

made

Arcane
Ur right, thanks for setting me straight

No newtonian physics please, that's for aspies and nerds

MetalCraze

Arcane
You post on the Codex - you are a nerd.

Very well - you are missing out on a p. solid but short game. A free one too.

Gord

Arcane
If you don't mind sandbox games I can reccomend the X series.
Get X3 or X3 Terran Conflict, it's cheap and there are a couple of mods.
Also you can approach it in a number of ways.

circ

Arcane
Compared to the X series, Freelancer is amazing. I like it. There's also Dark Star One, a bit like Freelancer but with a stupid story by germans or something.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is also Black Prophecy but thats online game, I personally havent tried it.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I haven't played it yet, but Starshatter looks interesting. It has a dynamic campaign and gives the player tactical control over the entire fleet at one point.

Renegen

Arcane
Black Prophecy is a recently launched F2P space sim that I beta'd. It's a lot of fun, the action is exactly what you'd expect. Newtonian physic sims are also cool, I played Terminus, released post 2000. The best part about it is that it happens in the solar system and you get to see the same story from 4 sides.

made

Arcane
Yeah, the X series... I tried X2 I think it was years ago but just couldn't get past the overly complex controls/UI. That's kind of one end of the spectrum; Freelancer with its simplified mouse steering being the polar opposite. Starlancer otoh is the golden middle.

DraQ

Arcane
made said:
Ur right, thanks for setting me straight

No newtonian physics please, that's for aspies and nerds
Well, you're either a nerd or a tard.
:smug:

sgc_meltdown said:
space sims are so dead that publishers aren't even trying to streamline them
Fitting, considering their death was by streamlining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom