Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good graphical overhaul for Mafia?

zool

Arcane
So, having heard many recommendations for Mafia, I'm about to start my first playthrough. This kind of game strikes me as not needing any mods, except maybe graphical updates. Am I wrong in thinking that? If not, is there any faithful high-quality mod upping the textures' resolution that you would recommend? The screenshots I've seen show an excellent art direction but some of the textures (especially for NPCs) are really looking really low-res.

15487_full.jpg

15484_full.jpg

15476_full.jpg

Gord

Arcane
Wow, the times they are a-changing...

I remember that the game was considered to look really good on release. 3d graphics simply don't age very well...

Did get bored on the vehicle sections and never finished it, maybe I should give it another try eventually.

Edit: looking at some youtube-videos, I'd say the graphics can look a bit better, indeed. Also, animations and cinematics look decently done, even by todays standards.

Mafia does look better than that. I'm willing to bet you didn't even configure most settings, also it's sure as fuck you didn't force anisotropic filtering.
*edit* Oh, these aren't shots made by you.. :oops:

Peter

Arcane
I remember my 10-year old brian thinking how realistic Mafia and Lithuanian Hitman looked.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
get:
*The Mafia TreeS Project v3.0
*Footpath and Road Mod v2.4 "Modern Look"
*Unlimited Draw Distance (optimized for all missions)

also needed so mods work:
http://www.moddb.com/games/mafia/downlo ... ractor-v11 ( unpack ALL, unpack mods over and onerwrite all )
&
http://www.moddb.com/games/mafia/downlo ... -patch-v11 ( patch once )

the framerate will be low, but you can crank up AA and AF

how to: http://perfectworlds.wordpress.com/2010 ... hics-mods/

zool

Arcane
Licaon_Kter said:
get:
*The Mafia TreeS Project v3.0
*Footpath and Road Mod v2.4 "Modern Look"
*Unlimited Draw Distance (optimized for all missions)

also needed so mods work:
http://www.moddb.com/games/mafia/downlo ... ractor-v11 ( unpack ALL, unpack mods over and onerwrite all )
&
http://www.moddb.com/games/mafia/downlo ... -patch-v11 ( patch once )

the framerate will be low, but you can crank up AA and AF

how to: http://perfectworlds.wordpress.com/2010 ... hics-mods/

Thank you good sir :salute:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Drog Black Tooth said:
Just play the sequel. It's the same thing, except better.
No way. The first Mafia did the cover-based combat infinitely better by not having a fucking cover button nor regenerating health. Aside from great combat, the storytelling, characters, atmosphere and art direction were also some of the best I've seen in any game. The sequel had better driving sections but was inferior in pretty much everything else.

I think Mafia looks good even today, and certainly better than in those screenshots. No mods required in my opinion.

SoupNazi

Drog Black Tooth said:
Just play the sequel. It's the same thing, except better.

Wow.

Yeah, you're officially a fucking retard. I don't know why I ever thought you were even remotely reasonable.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
LOL, I never played Mafia II. But saying that the original game had 'great combat' is really something...

No saves, very few medkids, awkward controls, enemies that kill you in seconds. It was the epitome of unbalanced piece of shit. I seriously can't see how the sequel can be any worse.

Everyone played Mafia for the story and cutscenes (which were pretty advanced at the time). The gameplay was tolerated at best. How about you stop deluding yourself in that Mafia had 'great gameplay'. It fuckin' didn't.

SoupNazi

Well, I'm still fairly new, and I figured the reports of his idiocy were simply exaggerated.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Keep posting your edgy one-liners, tard. You newfags are incapable of anything else.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How did Drog say anything wrong?

Mafia was a cutscene game, which just had a few moments of pressing WASD, left-click, and right-click just to advance to the next cutscene.

I am serious, there is one part of the game where you have to drive to a phone booth, trigger a cutscene, and then drive back. That's the entire mission.

Instead of trying to make this an issue about who said it, why not look at what was said?

So simply left clicking and right clicking got you through the whole game? Good to know.

Bet you only managed to beat the racing level after applying the patch you sloppy foreign bitch.

SoupNazi

Wyrmlord said:
How did Drog say anything wrong?

Saying that the sequel (a horrible piece of shit not deserving to have the same name as Mafia) is the same is how he said anything wrong. And the fact that he said it without actually playing it just makes him even dumber than I thought.

I disagree about what you say about the game but I don't care and don't feel the need to argue. I very much enjoyed the gunplay (and gameplay generally) of the game and that's that. You're going to be a dumbass about it, arguing that you just left and right clicked ... to that I only really have to say "what." but I feel arguing this would be completely irrational and pointless. So whatever. Comparing the game to Mafia 2, though - even people who didn't like the gameplay must realize how SHIT Mafia 2 is when compared to the original.

MetalCraze

Arcane
My most favourite moments in Mafia were related not to shooting but to needing to do something. Like remember when you needed to bash a hangar door out with an oil car? You had to spot those fucking tiny breakers and shoot them out so an oil car will start to roll. And they were tiny.

Today retards have quest compasses (and NPCs explaining to them exactly what they need to do which is just as bad) for that shit. And they say that quest compass is not a big deal.

Drog Black Tooth said:
No saves, very few medkids, awkward controls, enemies that kill you in seconds.
Yeah. Love dat shit in games

Satori said:
Bet you only managed to beat the racing level after applying the patch you sloppy foreign bitch.

When I've played unpatched Mafia 1 just when it came out I've completed the racing level and only then learned that it was extremely hellish. I could not understand why. Yeah I had to start it over a few times, same as with any other harder level at that point.

Gord

Arcane
It did manage to create a good atmosphere and tell a nice story.

I got pretty annoyed by the driving parts though. Didn't like driving with keyboard and mouse and somehow after a while the driving around the city was feeling tedious. Esp. if you have to climb several hills at like 10 mph because the shitty car you have doesn't have more than about 5 horsepowers...

Anyway, this thread made me want to reinstall it but apparently my disc 2 is damaged and won't read anymore. Although searching around this seemed to have happened to several people, could be the shitty copy protection.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The race was easy because I played a lot of racing (GPL) at the time and had a steering wheel.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Wyrmlord said:
I am serious, there is one part of the game where you have to drive to a phone booth, trigger a cutscene, and then drive back. That's the entire mission.
I think you forgot about the following
escape where you're being chased by enemy gangsters, the car bombing, the (another) restaurant assassination attempt again followed by a car chase, ANOTHER car chase (this time you'll be the one chasing someone) and a huge fucking shootout at the end of the mission.
It's true that some of the missions have a lot of kind of pointless driving from point A to point B, but on the other hand I like it how combat is usually something unexpected and unwanted instead of being the main focus of the game.

visions

Arcane
I found some of the chases quite challenging and enjoyable. Oh, and I also gave up and eventually applied the patch for the racing level :lol: . I don't have a steering wheel and don't really play racing games either though.

Anyway, I fail to see how enemies killing you with a few shots and the scarcity of medkits are a bad thing. Also, the saving points seemed adequately distributed, never felt like they were too infrequent.

Gord

Arcane
visions said:
Anyway, I fail to see how enemies killing you with a few shots and the scarcity of medkits are a bad thing. Also, the saving points seemed adequately distributed, never felt like they were too infrequent.

Some people seem to think the only valid design for a FPS are Doom-like arcade shooters.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
You're going to be a dumbass about it, arguing that you just left and right clicked ... to that I only really have to say "what."
I am just saying that there was a game there, but it was a superficial one buried underneath a pseudo-movie. Me saying left-clicking and right-clicking was just a way of emphasising that the gunfights were just used as a way of transitioning to the next cutscene.

Besides, what's the point of praising the gameplay of a game that was a bastard child of Max Payne and GTA 3, only a worse form of both?

My brother played Mafia II, I saw him play it, and I thought the Mafia II was worse. No debate there. Mafia II suffers even more from being less of a game and more of a bad pseudo-movie.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Satori said:
So simply left clicking and right clicking got you through the whole game? Good to know.

There is a shortcut in the racing level. ;) Definitely the hardest level in the game, though, I probably needed like 30 tries to finish that level the proper way. :M

Mafia is a good game but 3/4 of it are just driving around which gets annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom