Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good fast paced PC games?

Arthandas

Liturgist
If the idea of taking on 20 enemies at once in hand-to-hand combat sounds fun, then Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is worth a look.

You really need to watch what upgrades you pick up, though, because it's super easy to destroy all difficulty in the game with the right load-out.
Are you serious?
SoM vs DMC4
Please tell me more how fast paced Shadow of Mordor is...

baturinsky

Arcane
I'd actually want something close to DMC5 too. But even other DMC (including DMC4) has too hp-bloated mobs and too many puzzle/maze fillers between fights. DMC5 is nearly perfect in this regard.

Machocruz

Arcane
Valdis Story looks cool, never heard of it. Doesn't look as fast as Ys though.

What about MDKs or Jedi Knight games? Haven't played, but there isn't much else out there.

Ebonsword

Arcane
If the idea of taking on 20 enemies at once in hand-to-hand combat sounds fun, then Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is worth a look.

You really need to watch what upgrades you pick up, though, because it's super easy to destroy all difficulty in the game with the right load-out.
Are you serious?
SoM vs DMC4
Please tell me more how fast paced Shadow of Mordor is...

Well, I don't think I ever said it was more fast paced...

Last edited:

pippin

Second Giana Sisters, it's a very fun platformer with great production values. The switching mechanic gives it more diversity too; some gems and places can be reached only with one "aspect" of Giana, and viceversa.
Also Zeno Clash is gut fun, besides, the devs are from my country so you should help us fight the good fight. Aesthetically the game is super weird in a good way, some environments, especially the cities, remind me of Planescape Torment. There's a sequel as well. Haven't played Abyss Oddysey, but it's supposed to be good, although this is a 2d beat em up instead of a first person one.
There's this little game called One Way Heroics, a japanese roguelike/lite in which you should escape the darkness which is consuming the world. You unlock classes, items and different things, and you can leave some items for your next character as some sort of inheritance. There's also some brief moments of c&c as well: kill random animals, rangers will hunt you down and kill you (and they will because they are tough mofos).
It has some animu bullshit but it's not really that bad in that sense, most of the times you'll be worried about outrunning the fucking darkness. Available on Steam for a couple of peanuts for the next 15 hours. http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It can be fast paced, it can be slow. Depends how you play.....bro. As a fencer, speed wins....speed always wins.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Go back to kitchen play Valdis Story.

Ys honestly fulfills your criteria of "non-stop action" way better than Valdis Story, with its floaty movement and annoying jumping mechanics. VS has pretty fun "DMC in 2D" style combat which is much deeper than Ys, but the latter has better designed boss-fights imo, and involves a lot more movement in general.

Also, you are a faggot for excluding shmups and therefore Crimzon Clover.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Also, you are a faggot for excluding shmups and therefore Crimzon Clover.
Dammit, I wanted to keep it a secret a little bit longer.
I completely forgot Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse are on PC. People rave about those games, haven't had a chance to try them myself but something else to grab.
This looks interesting, if only the aesthetics were a little bit more serious... But since I'm a metroidvania fagget I think I'll have to buy it even if it looks like a game for 10yo girls, thanks! Did any of you played it?

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
How can you compare the Arkham series to games like Devil May Cry?! While I think they are one of the best PC games...

What a shame, I was liking you up 'till this point. They aren't good games at all, period. Pure popamole decline button mashing garbage. Contextual mechanics where it is not necessary. Smashing through trash mobs like a kid stomping on lego (although the kid actually has to aim where his stomps are to land), standard actions that are automated, fucking infinite detective mode...

Get out, go pop another mole.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Liturgist
What can I say, AA/AC is just more than a sum of its parts.

Unlike DMC, combat is not the main focus (though while not challenging, it's just damn fun), being a Batman exploration is. The unlockable challenges will really test your timing and execution if you want to get the highest ranks, so there's always that. It's true the game lacks some hardcore old school mechanics but despite that, exploring the world trying to find every last secret was just extremely fun. It's like Symphony of the Night, awesome despite not really offering a challenge.

Also, nice rap sheet.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
being a Batman

This is what it ultimately boils down to with those that should know better.

It's like Symphony of the Night, awesome despite not really offering a challenge..

:retarded:

SotN whilst easier than most of its type is by no means equivalent to fucking popamole shit.

Combat requires aiming, timing of attacking and dodging, an adequate setup at times (equipment, elemental resistances etc) and there is an extremely vast wealth of attacks available.
Jumping on top of gargoyles is a skill-based affair, not a contextual cutscene.
Jumping in water doesn't result in Alucard teleporting back to land.
The flying jump kick requires timing/aiming. Batman's equivalent is also a contextual cutscene.
No detective mode equivalent (alright, we'll insert soul steal here, but at least it requires MP to cast, even if it does slowly regenerate, and it isn't the easiest spell to cast either).
No objective markers.
Little to no hints at all for that matter.
No instakill takedowns.
Proper restrictive save system ensuring adequate consequence for death. Batman has something similar, but it is beyond negligible as you just don't die and the saves are very frequent.

Funny thing is you dweebs actually think you're Batman. No, your influence over batman is extremely limited. The game does most of the work.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ikaruga - the legendary bullet-hell shooter
PixelJunk™ Shooter - not really fast-paced, but requires some dexterity
Vanquish - from the makers of MGR:R, only worth playing on higher difficulty levels
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - real-time rogue-like 2D shooter
Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony - a neo-classical top-down shooter

Arthandas

Liturgist
Ikaruga - the legendary bullet-hell shooter
PixelJunk™ Shooter - not really fast-paced, but requires some dexterity
Vanquish - from the makers of MGR:R, only worth playing on higher difficulty levels
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - real-time rogue-like 2D shooter
Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony - a neo-classical top-down shooter
giphy.gif

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I completely forgot Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse are on PC. People rave about those games, haven't had a chance to try them myself but something else to grab.
This looks interesting, if only the aesthetics were a little bit more serious... But since I'm a metroidvania fagget I think I'll have to buy it even if it looks like a game for 10yo girls, thanks! Did any of you played it?

They are very good and fun games. Very rewarding gameplay, cute looks and a great soundtrack. The difficulty is very fair if you are used to platformers.

baturinsky

Arcane
If you want a beat'em'up, I can recommend Oni: Anniversary edition.

Sleeping Dogs has Batman-like fights too, but probably too much shooting and driving for your taste

Arthandas

Liturgist
They are very good and fun games. Very rewarding gameplay, cute looks and a great soundtrack. The difficulty is very fair if you are used to platformers.
Hmm, I tried the "demo" of Risky's Revenge. The lack of difficulty and the plane switching mechanic makes traversing the 2D stages quite confusing. It's definitely a good game for a more casual tastes.
Sleeping Dogs has Batman-like fights too, but probably too much shooting and driving for your taste
I have the definitive edition but it runs like shit. Since the optimization is really bad I put it on the backlog for now.

I just got 101% completion in Guacamelee and I almost popped a vein getting it. The mask orb gauntlets and el inferno gold medal challenges satiated my thirst for action for the next decade until DMC4SE comes out. If you like action platformers/metroidvanias this is a must play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom