Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good cRPGS with a Wild/Old West setting?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
This is such a good setting for so many reasons, but I've never even seen any before. Have I missed something good?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, been around the CRPG for a long time and I can't recall one set in the Wild West.

The only game I remember really enjoying as a kid set in the old West was for the C64 called "Law of the West". It was more of an action adventure game though. You can find info on it on www.lemon64.com

I think a game called "Gun" was recently released but I think it was an action game and I didn't play it.

Ion Flux

Savant
To my knowledge the only games that even come close are the Desperados series, but those are squad-based strategy games like the Commandos series.

TSR had the Boot Hill PnP game, but there was never any cRPG adaptations as far as I know.

IMO, it's a really great setting for RPGs for several reasons:

1. It's pretty natural to abstract a character's gunfighting skills to a ruleset/dieroll rather than to rely on the player's reaction time.

2. There was an explosion in the development of firearm technology from the American Civil War onward that was specifically intended to give people advantages in gunfights. This would make for natural character progression based on the acquisition of improved gunfighting tools.

3. Lots of moral ambiguity/lawlessness a la the Fallout series. Tim Cain compared Fallout to the Wild West for obvious reasons.

4. Gambling, trading, gold mining, trapping, hunting, train robbing, horse stealing.

5. Injuns! You can befriend them or exterminate them. Or both.

6. Hot girls in frilly dresses.

7. Other stuff!

Texas Red

Whiner
Desperados is great fun. Superb 2D graphics that beat the shit out of most early and mid-early 3D games and wonderful strategy gameplay as well.

Kavax

Scholar
The closest you'll get to a good ''wild west'' CRPG is probably Fallout 2, it has the right ambient in quite a few places, specially Redding.

I just wish someone made a crpg based on the excellent Aces & Eights : Shattered Frontier ruleset and alternate-history setting. That's something like my dream game, par none.

Not that it'll happen, we'll just get more fantasy swords and elves.

Ion Flux

Savant
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
I just wish someone made a crpg based on the excellent Aces & Eights : Shattered Frontier ruleset and alternate-history setting. That's something like my dream game, par none.

I just checked out the Aces & Eights site. That looks friggin' cool.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The German game, The Fall - Last Days of Gaia, somehow reminded me of wild west, although that was post-apoc as well. I guess the sunny desert makes a big part of that wild west feeling.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ion Flux said:

it sure does.. that shooting wheel mechanic is pretty neat.

Ion Flux

Savant
SuicideBunny said:
Ion Flux said:

it sure does.. that shooting wheel mechanic is pretty neat.

Ooooh, random groinshots...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Hmm.. talking about this. Wouldn't it be cool if Rockstar considered setting their next GTA game in the Wild West?
It should be renamed to Grand Theft Steed, though.
Open ended wild west sanbox adventure would be sutch a win.

Ion Flux

Savant
Gnidrologist said:
Hmm.. talking about this. Wouldn't it be cool if Rockstar considered setting their next GTA game in the Wild West?
It should be renamed to Grand Theft Steed, though.
Open ended wild west sanbox adventure would be sutch a win.

True, but an Age of Decadence style Wild West RPG would be even betterer, imo. Speaking of which, will AoD be moddable? Is Iron Tower planning to develop more games using the same engine?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
there already were a couple of gtaish wild west games.. the names kinda slipped away.. one had a slightly steampunkish feeling and you killed a rail baron, i think.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
dickin1ii0.jpg

dickin2cn5.jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Delirious Nomad said:
Wild Arms series for PS1+PS2
final fantasy < wild arms < metal saga < everything else even remotely related to the wild west

deuxhero

Arcane
Ion Flux said:
6. Hot girls in frilly dresses.

From what the History Chanel has told me, all the good looking girls were in the east (that may or may not have just been prostitutes though)

Keldorn

Scholar
Someone should design a cowboy CRPG, with a pre-made John Wayne character available much like Fallout had some pre-generated characters available.

One could call such a game, "Cowboy".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom