Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any decent indie 8-bit or 16-bit-like JRPGs out there?

Data4

Arcane
I know "decent indie" is an oxymoron, but with the handful of ok indies in other genres out there, I figured I could chance it. Been having a strange craving for some old school console style JRPG play lately, like the old Dragon Quest/Warrior and FF games. Does anyone know of something made recently that calls back to that style?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Obviously there are a bajillion RPG Maker games out there. Aveyond is one longrunning series. I myself can't stand the standard RPG Maker graphics for most of these games, so I've never even tried them. There's a recent release called The Amber Throne that looks to have pretty graphics and mixed reviews.

Data4

Arcane
Hmm... Last Dream looks pretty good. That's exactly the style I had in mind. Same for Artifact Adventure. The thing about RPG Maker is that any dumbass can whip together something and call it a JRPG, but HOW it's used can make all the difference in the world. The very first non-pen and paper RPG I ever played was Dragon Warrior on the NES. Granted, I was much younger, had a hell of a lot more time on my hands, and hadn't developed an angry cunt outlook on gaming, but I sunk so much time into that game, plus DW3 & 4, that I can still hear the music.

I evolved over time, like we all do. Got into the more traditional stats-based stuff, and then the angry cunt welled up. This game is a real RPG, that game is a shitty pretender, etc. etc. You know, true Codexian fashion. I've decided "fuck it", I'll play what's fun instead of trying to hold every game to some ideal. I'm too old to refuse to play something just because it misses a mark somewhere on some checklist of perfection.

Anyway, I saw someone playing Stardew Valley on Twitch and it got me thinking that there's a certain innocent charm to that style of game, at least aesthetically speaking. I don't think I'd enjoy SDV much, but I started to wonder if someone has taken that look and made a decent JRPG in the style of the old consoles. I know the newest Dragon Quest has a retro mode, but unless it's released on PC, I won't be able to check it out. I'll have a look a these suggestions and see if anything scratches the itch.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Amber Throne is pretty bad/mediocre. It's just very barebones and boring.

No idea about the rest. Not really my style of RPGs. But perhaps you could check out some NDS titles instead (all easily emulatable on PC), like the SaGa or Dragon Quest remakes, even though they don't have the same art style.

I played some Last Dream and really had fun with it but the story seemed like it was convoluted nonsense and I couldn't go forward with it because the way I built my characters was not working out for the combat progression at all, which was a major bummer because I wasn't even trying to do anything weird with my character attributes. The graphics for the enemies were awesome and the puzzles were fun. It seemed like such a solid game in many ways but I couldn't finish.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hmm... Last Dream looks pretty good. That's exactly the style I had in mind. Same for Artifact Adventure. The thing about RPG Maker is that any dumbass can whip together something and call it a JRPG, but HOW it's used can make all the difference in the world. The very first non-pen and paper RPG I ever played was Dragon Warrior on the NES. Granted, I was much younger, had a hell of a lot more time on my hands, and hadn't developed an angry cunt outlook on gaming, but I sunk so much time into that game, plus DW3 & 4, that I can still hear the music.

I evolved over time, like we all do. Got into the more traditional stats-based stuff, and then the angry cunt welled up. This game is a real RPG, that game is a shitty pretender, etc. etc. You know, true Codexian fashion. I've decided "fuck it", I'll play what's fun instead of trying to hold every game to some ideal. I'm too old to refuse to play something just because it misses a mark somewhere on some checklist of perfection.

Anyway, I saw someone playing Stardew Valley on Twitch and it got me thinking that there's a certain innocent charm to that style of game, at least aesthetically speaking. I don't think I'd enjoy SDV much, but I started to wonder if someone has taken that look and made a decent JRPG in the style of the old consoles. I know the newest Dragon Quest has a retro mode, but unless it's released on PC, I won't be able to check it out. I'll have a look a these suggestions and see if anything scratches the itch.
mostly not 8-bit JRPGs, but these games are pretty fun
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...lish-translated-nsfw-updated-01-09-17.112873/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom