Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

circ

Arcane
Maybe the delay will be in its favor and everyone will have forgotten about Destiny and they will have a completely new playerbase that will enjoy this great game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
DLC for single player games is a feature for the most loyal fans, but the attach rate, aka owners of the base version who buy the DLC, is between 10-20% (optimistic).
Where did you get that number from?
Not that I don't think it is realistic (I'd assume about the same), but it would be nice to have a source for that.

For example here (admittedly for indie games):
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...e_DLC_Indies_share_their_DLC_attach_rates.php
Another indie example would be the "DLC like" (sorry) spin off for Age of Decadence.

When you search for attach rates, you mostly get anecdotal evidence, like "40% attach rate for ME3 day 1 DLC" (but that was only for copies sold at GameStop stores with trained sales people not for all copies sold).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-31-biowares-anthem-will-launch-spring-2019-ea-confirms

BioWare's Anthem will launch spring 2019, EA confirms
To give it "some free air" away from this year's Battlefield.

BioWare's Anthem will now launch in spring 2019, EA has said, confirming recent reports of a delay.

Except it's not a delay, EA boss Andrew Wilson explained to company investors in a call last night (transcribed by Seeking Alpha). The game was progressing "well", but was being given "some free air".

"The first thing about Anthem is regardless of kind of how it's being portrayed, we are not looking at that as a delay in the game," Wilson said. "We've chosen to launch Anthem in Q4 and the date is really determined by portfolio of balancing consideration not for product readiness reasons. It's tracking well on its development milestones. We are really confident of its ship date."

EA execs made various references to an unannounced Battlefield game due later this year - presumably in the series' usual November slot. And it's because of this, Wilson said, that EA wanted to move Anthem clear.

"We are really excited by the way the next Battlefield is shaping up and it probably doesn't make sense to launch Anthem right up next to it. And when you think about Anthem as a brand new IP, we also believe it make sense to give it its own launch window so that we can give us a focus and attention that it deserve and give it some free air."

EA has yet to say anything about what this year's Battlefield will be, but Eurogamer sources recently poured cold water on rumours that 2018's game would be a revival of the much-loved Battlefield Bad Company sub-series. After a game set in WW1, a WW2 follow-up seems to make more sense.

Deathsquid

Learned
BioWare's Anthem may well be BioWare's Requiem.

Or, seeing as this is an MMO subforum, BioWare's [Dirge] may be more apropos.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BioWare, founded in 1995, has long been seen as one of the world’s most prestigious developers of role-playing games, thanks to hits like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the Mass Effect trilogy, and Dragon Age Origins.

:hmmm:

Frozen

Arcane
This looks like same crap as Andromeda, like they are reusing assets.
Hope its the final nail...we were waiting for so long.
Just another big giant fail and they are no more.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Anthem will fail big time. I feel it in my bones.

Biodrones, please identify yourselves by rating this post with "citation needed", k thx

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Maybe it can surprisingly sell well... there are a lot of people who dig this type of game, but in the case of Destiny, it's more the massive marketing campaign and the strategic on sale date than anything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe it can surprisingly sell well... there are a lot of people who dig this type of game, but in the case of Destiny, it's more the massive marketing campaign and the strategic on sale date than anything.
Yeah but a lot of them feel fucked with the destiny shit and i doubt that they will trust EA after battlefront 2. It will sell a lot but won't save biowaste.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Imagine how funny it would be if it sold millions and saved Bioware from oblivion, so they can carry on with their SJW shenanigans. Imagine the fantastic drama.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Imagine how funny it would be if it sold millions and saved Bioware from oblivion, so they can carry on with their SJW shenanigans. Imagine the fantastic drama.
Oh it will leave a sour taste in my mouth for certainty,still i can appreciate a good divine irony :). Will do give it a nice laugh in the end.

Revenant

Anthem is likely to be canned or at the very least heavily overhauled before release because of the failure of Destiny 2. At least that's what lack of new game footage seems to imply.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
i know a lot of people who love, love, love modern bioware games are are "pumped" for bioware's Anthem
Similar to all the chicks you've banged in the greater Niagara falls area?

941529ebe34193af34efb6eccf059a80.gif

I want names, or this is fake news :/

Mustawd

Anthem will fail big time. I feel it in my bones.

I have a feeling it’ll be kinda of a “meh” situation. Like it'll prolly be profitable like DA:I was, but not VERY profitable. Which will probably put a lot of pressure on the next Dragon Age coming out. One can hope this is a disaster though. EA has basically made Bioware focus on a game that isn't really made for its core audience, which is all kinds of random. But whatevah. Writing was on the wall with DA:I and its shitty MMO fetch quests (from what I read. I never played it).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lets not forget that EA managed to make governments and gamers focus on EA. If it succeeds,then it is punishment from god.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I want names, or this is fake news :/

Don't ever underestimate the retardedness of normies, pal.

Otherwise just take a look at Destiny 1 and 2 sales figures.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Otherwise just take a look at Destiny 1 and 2 sales figures.

Which are what exactly? Thought these weren't made public.

They aren't available at Steam, no. But considering they made Destiny 2, Destiny 1 must have sold well, by the millions (plus reimbursing the expensive marketing campaign). I guess Destiny 2 didn't do that well, as there are people who really don't want to be scammed twice, but all of this proves is there's a market for this type of game.

As for Anthem, it's debatable whether its audience are tired of these games and EA's antics, or not.

All I can warrant is there are lots of people that are guided by marketing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
i know a lot of people who love, love, love modern bioware games are are "pumped" for bioware's Anthem
But how many of those will actually enjoy the game when they try it? Anthem seems like it will be a very different style of popamole than the traditional Biowarian story-based popamole.

Mustawd

Yeah at this point there's already been two Destiny's, Anthem looks similar, and EA's reputation with microtransactions is p. shit now. Yah ppl bought Battlefront 2, but it's fucking Star Wars. Ofc ppl will buy that stuff. I doubt there's much excitement over an EA MMO filled to the brim with microtransactions.

yeye

Augur
I hope Anthem doesn't fail. It's the game Bioware wanted to make, aka not an rpg. If it succeeds they can just keep shitting out shooters for the rest of the company's lifetime, whereas if it fails and EA doesn't shut them down because of their brand name or whatever, they might go back to making "rpgs" like ass effect 3 and DAI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom