Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Just call them paid shills and move on

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am honestly hyped about this game.I am sure that it will deliver countless hours of entertainment just like Andromeda did.First amusing thing was playing Andromeda,it was nice training segment for ma liver(just like in the animes) also it was nice to have a little chat with Jesus,it was enlightening.Secondly the hate,i spend a lot of hours reading comments,watching videos and memes laughing my ass of at all the shit tossing.There is nothing better than the tears of a failed SJW in a skull cup.I am sure that this pile of rotting excrements will deliver as promised.
Btw i think that this game a good chance to be a commercial failure.Lately a lot of people have become cynical and jaded.A lot of AAA games were fails past year.Only successes were Battlefield and CoD(even cod was not very satisfying for Activision)I am ignoring the Blizzard juggernaut.Also Horizon dawn of yawn i think was a success but i couldn't be bothered with peasant's past time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The New BioWare: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...start-of-a-10-year-journey-for-ea-and-bioware

Anthem coincidentally the start of "a 10-year journey" for EA and BioWare
It is their Destiny.

EA has said BioWare's ambitious and visually impressive new IP Anthem will be the "the start of maybe a 10-year journey for us" - echoing the decade-long publishing deal Activision signed with Bungie for thematically similar series Destiny.

Talking on the Xbox Daily Show during E3, EA vice president Patrick Soderlund said (from 1:41:30 onwards): "[Anthem is] a social game where you and your friends go out on quests and journeys. It's a game that we've been working on for almost four years now. And it's a game that - once we launch it next year - will be the start of maybe a 10-year journey for us."

Anthem was announced properly at this year's E3 but was first talked about - as a new IP in development at BioWare's HQ in Edmonton, Canada - back at E3 2014. It being a shared-world shooter - a massively-multiplayer online game of sorts - means EA and BioWare will need to invest heavily in building a live online service as well as in building the game itself. In other words, Anthem is a bigger undertaking than a next Dragon Age or Mass Effect game.

How Anthem's development will impact development of the next Dragon Age, if at all, remains to be seen. Remember, the Mass Effect series has reportedly been put "on ice" following the weaker release of Mass Effect: Andromeda earlier this year.

Anthem was shown in greater length during Microsoft's E3 press conference as a showcase for the powerful, and expensive (£450), new Xbox One X console. Digital Foundry has already analysed Anthem's Xbox One X reveal footage to assess whether it was genuinely running on Microsoft's new console.

Regarding Anthem's performance, Soderlund said: "I pushed the development team and told them a lot of these open-world/shared-world games sacrifice fidelity because it's a technical problem. But I challenged them and said, 'Let's think about this in a way where we don't sacrifice fidelity and we can basically get to the same level of fidelity, or higher, as you would in a secluded map but in an open-world map.'

"It took time to get that done, but with some smart investment in technology, some smart design and an incredible art team, we got there. I can firmly say that I haven't seen any open-world game that looks as this, ever, which is what we wanted."

It may read like there's a word missing in the sentence above but that is what he - verbatim - said.

"It's been exciting," he added, "tough. I'm happy that we can finally show it to the world. It's an important game for BioWare, it's an important game for EA as a company. It's an important game for me personally - I've been very invested in this; it's what motivates me to stay in this industry and push as hard as I can for it."

The potential payoff for EA with Anthem, if Destiny is anything to go by, could be huge. But then Anthem also has Destiny 2 to contend with, albeit a year later.

Anthem is due autumn 2018 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Destiny 2 will be released this September on PS4 and Xbox One, then a month-and-a-half later on PC.

v1rus

Arcane
Teaser looks like classical Bioware quality. Safe-bet and well received basic plot point and sum quality, deep-intellectual philosophy. The games philosophy is deeply intriguing, and never heard of. I mean, you either live with the choices you make, or you die trying to change them, some Shakespeare quality stuff right there, or should I say, Bob Dylanish.

Also, whaddya guys think, is it gonna be as badly optimized as Andromeda?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Four months too late:

Comment section is more enjoyable than the joke:

Conventionally approach it all you want, but what speaks loudest is the quality of your previous titles. Looking at how you've treated the Mass Effect franchise, I sure as hell ain't about to touch Anthem with a 10-foot pole. I won't see my money wasted like this again.

Incredible parody. BioWare is fast becoming a serious joke. Congrats!

Lets turn this into a meme and replace the "fucking exo suit" with things like "No Mass Effect Andromeda DLC confirmed", "Anthem is our Destiny" and "Bioware, where long term fandom goes to die"

Bioware intern: "you know what we need to get people excited about this new IP that no one is asking for after we burned ME's corpse? A video about cornfields! That will get them excited!"
Bioware: "Amazing idea"

WE DON'T WANT ANTHEM, GIVE US BETTER DRAGON AGE AND MASS EFFECT GAMES.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.bioware.com/2017/07/31/remembering-corey-gaspur/

Remembering Corey Gaspur
by Author -BioWare Posted on - July 31, 2017

Corey_Gaspur-1200x675.jpg

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our friend and colleague Corey Gaspur.

He was a member of our team for over nine years, and worked as a designer on many of our titles, including Sonic Chronicles, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2 and 3, and most recently Anthem.

Corey was a talented designer and an even better person. We offer our condolences to Corey’s family and everyone that knew him.

We will miss you.

:salute: Appparently Anthem's lead gameplay designer. Ouch.

J1M

Arcane

Remembering Corey Gaspur

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our friend and colleague Corey Gaspur.

He was a member of our team for over nine years, and worked as a designer on many of our titles, including Sonic Chronicles, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2 and 3, and most recently Anthem.

Corey was a talented designer and an even better person. We offer our condolences to Corey’s family and everyone that knew him.

We will miss you.

No details? Must have killed himself like a faggot.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Remembering Corey Gaspur

We will miss you.

At least he won't become a meme and a devmug when the shity game comes out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Four months too late:

Comment section is more enjoyable than the joke:

Conventionally approach it all you want, but what speaks loudest is the quality of your previous titles. Looking at how you've treated the Mass Effect franchise, I sure as hell ain't about to touch Anthem with a 10-foot pole. I won't see my money wasted like this again.

Incredible parody. BioWare is fast becoming a serious joke. Congrats!

Lets turn this into a meme and replace the "fucking exo suit" with things like "No Mass Effect Andromeda DLC confirmed", "Anthem is our Destiny" and "Bioware, where long term fandom goes to die"

Bioware intern: "you know what we need to get people excited about this new IP that no one is asking for after we burned ME's corpse? A video about cornfields! That will get them excited!"
Bioware: "Amazing idea"

WE DON'T WANT ANTHEM, GIVE US BETTER DRAGON AGE AND MASS EFFECT GAMES.

Ok did this guy just said "This,this is the biggest challenge of my autistic career. " ?It was at 1:05.

Ranarama

Learned
If you're going to shamelessly clone a game, why not pick a good one to clone in the first place?

There's only room in the market for one shitty game like Destiny, and I'm pretty sure Destiny is it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Congratulations Bioware, you played yourself.
https://gamingbolt.com/anthems-lead-animator-leaves-bioware

Steven Gilmour has left the Canadian studio.

Anthem, BioWare’s upcoming online-focused open world shooter, has just lost a vital member of its development team. Steven Gilmour, who was working as the lead animator on the project, has left the studio, as per his LinkedIn profile.

Gilmour had spent seventeen years working with the Canadian developer, having worked on several major projects, including Knights of the Old Republic, the Mass Effect trilogy, and most recently Dragon Age: Inquisition. Anthem was his latest project at BioWare, before he left the studio.

With the game still a year away from release, it doesn’t seem like such a change might rock the development process too much. That said, it seems Gilmour had an important job over at the studio, so let’s hope BioWare find a suitable replacement without too much trouble.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
If they don't follow the greedy Destiny route, this might turn out as a good Monster Hunter alternative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom