Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That fake tacticool.

Give me some cover fire! Proceeds to wipe everything out with rockets while eating a shit load of bullets that do zero damage. This looks really poor overall. And random loot... can't wait for microtransactions for loot boxes!

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This is going to fail so hard. I'd feel some schadenfreude, but that would require me caring more than I do about the future of Bioware.

This game looks like it was made carnal by a committee in a huge corporation guided by a checklist from a focus group.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EA is now calling Anthem an action-RPG:

“In this shared-world action-RPG, you and your friends are Freelancers–the bold few with the courage to leave civilziation behind, explore a landscape of primeval beauty, and confort the dangers you find.

“Up to four players band together to take on whatever perils you discover as a heroic team. as your friends support you in your journey, so do your victories and rewards benefit your friends.

“Wield an aresenal of Javelin exosuits, each equipped with unique weapons and abilities. Customize them with gear you earn and craft, then use them to fly, leap, and climb through a contiguous open world.

“Experience massive, world-altering occurences like Shaper Storms. Fight savage beasts and ruthless marauders. Delve forgotten ruins as you seek to defeat the forces plotting to conquer humanity.

“Your power grows with every step into the unknown. Whether plunder, revenge, or glory lures you onward, your choices will irrevocably change you—and the world around you.”

But also confirmed to be "shared world", so moving to MMORPG Discussion.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The environments looked nice and when she dove into the water it looked pretty good. But the whole concept of a Destiny like isn't for me. Gacha mechanics and other assorted crap they showed make it just worse. I'm too old for multiplayer games anyway and don't feel the need to "put my mark" on some imaginary world instead the real one.

Last edited:

Quantomas

Savant
Actually, the first sign in a long time that Bioware is moving forward.

That's better than Destiny if they get the gameplay right. The base reminds me of the jumble on Jakku (SW7) and Horizon Zero Dawn comes also up.

Appears to be a MMO-lite. If they focus on party-based exploration and dungeoneering, that's the best part and a joy to hang out with friends. Though it's easy to succumb to the same pitfalls that made Destiny too generic.

At any rate, it's a huge climb and good encounter and dungeon design (no run-of-the-mill, please) is costly. Wouldn't be surprising if they scrap their ambitions halfway through development. So whether they will pull through depends very much on who is on board.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No more awkward facial animation when everyone wears exo armor. It should be an improvement over ME:A in this department.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
DoritoTube interview:

RPGSite's summary: http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5645-anthem-freedom-in-a-savage-world

On Why Players Should Be Excited
"We've created a very big open world for players to explore, and it's going to be something that is kind of brand new. I don't think you've ever had the ability to really inhabit a BioWare world like this before."

Demo Location - Hub
"Fort Tarsus "is one of your key places - a hub - where we're going to spend some time here. This is where you're going to be able to customize your Javelin exosuits. You'll pick up quests here, it's going to be a real activity centre for you."

"For us, freedom is a big component. The ability for you to play and experience this game the way you want to play it. The ability to play with your friends in the manner that you want to. So, you'll be able to play with your friends, you'll be able to play by yourself. I think that people will be really surprised at how frictionless the whole experience is."

On Enemies
"We have a diverse array of opponents that you're going to face. We're not quite ready to unveil a lot of the details just yet, but there's always going to be a great conflict in the world - whether it's natural enemies like you saw in the demo with really fierce monsters and creatures, other humans in exosuits, I think you're going to be really challenged and surprised."

On Motivation In World
"This is a very savage world. Humanity is on the lowest rung of the food chain here. So, people need these amazing exosuits in order to get out there, compete and thrive in the world. You play as one of the heroes, who has the courage to put on this armour, go out and explore beyond the safety of the walls of Fort Tarsus."

Combat Loop
"What we showed in the demo today, you're going to be able to engage in combat in a variety of ways. Gunplay with an amazing array of different rifles, but you're also [going to] be able to equip gear on your suit and customize that, so you can approach it in different ways. Overpowering firepower, being able to adjust the loadout of your suit so it really suits your playstyle. That's something we totally expect and want players to dive into.

Narrative
"I think the magic of a great open world game, is that we will definitely tell a great BioWare story in ways that you might be accustomed to. But also giving you the freedom to kind of tell your own stories as you explore and dig in and uncover new things. Stories that you'll tell your friends, those types of stories are just another facet of what we are trying to do."

Romances
"[Laughs] I don't think they want me to talk about that just yet."

On Whether It Follows A Games As A Service Model
"We definitely want this to be a game that people engage in over a long period of time and enjoy over the course of months and years. We're building the world in a way that we can continually expand it. We always give you more reasons to come back and play it, so packing the world like this full of stories is really what we're after."

The Name
"An anthem is something that unifies a group of people. It's something that gives them a sense of purpose that's bigger than themselves, and that's definitely something we wanted to imbue the IP with and imbue the game and story with as well."

Can You Play Completely Solo
"Absolutely."

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
"We've created a very big open world for players to explore, and it's going to be something that is kind of brand new. I don't think you've ever had the ability to really inhabit a BioWare world like this before."
Open world exploration certainly is "kind of" brand new, so thanks. I'm totally excited now. :M

Always interesting to see how these sites manage to have interviews that basically tell you absolutely nothing about the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
The graphics look incredible, as in unmatched by current online offerings... Which means that will be downgraded to shit by release next year.
EA has never downgraded graphics. Battlefront 2 runs on the same engine and is even more impressive graphically.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The graphics look incredible, as in unmatched by current online offerings... Which means that will be downgraded to shit by release next year.
EA has never downgraded graphics. Battlefront 2 runs on the same engine and is even more impressive graphically.

It has smaller discreet maps tho, and not a single open world. But yeah, Battlefront looks amazing.

DemonKing

Arcane
Graphically this looks ok, but the gameplay will probably be rubbish. The trailer was a bit confusing because the voice overs sounded like Voice actors but then start talking about XP and other stuff like players chatting. Hopefully just placeholders.

I have so little faith in modern Bioware that if the game is merely above average it can probably be considered a success at this stage.

I think it's meant to be two players chatting, except it turned out like something out of Sword Art Online instead of an actual MMO player conversation. But at the beginning the girl is talking to the character on the screen so I'm not sure wtf.

^Kind of how I feel. But I'm a Destinyfag so I'll probably play it

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Seeing some wishful thinking from people saying this will fail. Anthem can't not be a hit. Sure it will suck, but quality has nothing to do with a game's success. It'll look good and have a huge marketing budget, and that's all that matters.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Seeing some wishful thinking from people saying this will fail. Anthem can't not be a hit. Sure it will suck, but quality has nothing to do with a game's success. It'll look good and have a huge marketing budget, and that's all that matters.
They're idiots who can't manage money or put in a good amount of effort vs. hours spent working/payment... So it may end up like so many games, adventurous budget and shitty profits. The threshold for "success" in some AAA circles is obviously ludicrous and they don't seem to have a realistic idea of how much money they can get from their market for their garbage.

*Or so I hope.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Open world exploration certainly is "kind of" brand new, so thanks. I'm totally excited now. :M

Always interesting to see how these sites manage to have interviews that basically tell you absolutely nothing about the game.

So it's mass effect minus the "rpg" bits. Oh boy.

And yeah, gaming press reviews, interviews etc are rarely of any damn use whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom