Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The impact sounds and the blood animations are fantastic. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the release.

Repressed Homosexual
This is how to do an independent Kickstarter, setting realistic goals, and not boasting about how awesome you are and hyping features to high heavens through 80 different updates.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
setting realistic goals
Well
As for the release I will say that we are still on track for a December [2014] release.
We're officially pushing back the release timetable to the first quarter of '14.
We’re officially pushing back Antharion’s release date to the fourth quarter of 2013.
Estimated delivery: Jul 2013
I'd rather have it good than fast (and it does look good!) but Orphic's development schedule has never been realistic.

Unless you were being facetious, in which case kindly ignore this post. :)

Repressed Homosexual
I'm talking about scope, not schedule. In the original video they showed they had the means to materialize their ambitions too. Not like Project of Eternity or another project that was like "here's a bunch of sketches, now please m********* over us"

I get the impression from this project of just a guy and a few contributors and friends who are being earnest and modest, and also intent and diligent on delivering a solid game at their own slow but steady pace and that's refreshing.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In that case, very much agreed! Orphic really does appear to have a firm handle on the project. Can't wait to see it come release day.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nope, not yet.
I pestered them about it a couple times, but it seems they want to wait until the game's closer to completion.

DrDungeon

Developer
I'm happy to report I've been chosen to be the first chap to play test this game. Can't say too much as its pretty secret still. But I can say it runs like a charm and flawlessly lives up to its claims. Just started today and making copious notes and observations for Ari. You'll all definitely love this game. I'm even a little jealous of it. What can I say? :)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ah shit, congrats man! I'm dying to get my hands on it. This and Xulima look to absolutely quench my thirst for Ultima 4-5 style games.

Tell 'em to make it so quicktravel has some penalty pls

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Cool stuff, thanks for the vid.
Hope there's a good focus on positioning in the final game.

Last edited:

DrDungeon

Developer
Just little stuff. Finding a lot of little details to tweak, suggestions and the like. Overall, and interesting romp in an interesting world. I think players will like this. Right now I'm playing yet again through a new build. No word yet - even to me - as to when he hopes to release it. I don't expect a whole lot longer at this point.

Zombra

Patron
Just little stuff. Finding a lot of little details to tweak, suggestions and the like. Overall, and interesting romp in an interesting world. I think players will like this. Right now I'm playing yet again through a new build. No word yet - even to me - as to when he hopes to release it. I don't expect a whole lot longer at this point.
Out of curiosity, if you've done a complete playthrough, how many hours would you ballpark are in the game, assuming a reasonably completionist approach (i.e. finish all side quests found but not map every hex of the world map)?

DrDungeon

Developer
Its hard to gauge the time as what I'm playing isn't complete yet, but I would guess more on the high side than low. The world area is pretty big and there's a lot of stuff in it. I'll likely get a better idea as I play and especially when there's a new build.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/879484120/antharion-an-old-school-rpg/posts/1096950
Update 12/31/14

Hey everyone, we're thrilled to report that the end is near. While we're running just a little bit behind from our previous December release target, we're not too far off. Currently we're scheduled to release the alpha by around the end of January, followed by the beta a month later, followed shortly thereafter by the official release.

As for the state of development we're pretty close to done. We're finishing the last few tweaks and technical fixes before going into the Alpha phase. While we've made tons of changes, upgrades and improvements to just about every aspect of the game over the course of the last six months, I'll mention just a couple tangible ones here. Food - we've decided to make food an important (but not the the point of frustration) gameplay element. Sleeping (which restores your party's health and mana), now has a discrete food cost, 1 food item per hour, where each hour will restore something like 25 health and mana points. Each additional hour of sleep beyond the point at which your party's stats are fully restored is free, costing no food. Antharion has a world map with discoverable cities that allow for fast travel. We've added a food cost for fast traveling, where the cost is determined by your party's in-game distance from the city you're trying to travel to. Then there are inns in which you can rent and sleep in beds, fully restoring your party's stats for a fee considerably cheaper than the cost of food needed to do so when sleeping anywhere other than an inn. We also added a foraging skill, that'll allow you to find more and better kinds of loot in many situations. Foraging does not affect all loot, it's kind of supplemental to our looting system and has just enough of an effect to justify it as a skill pick.

Another focus of our efforts has been in balancing our huge open world which is divided into areas of overlapping difficulties. What this means is that from the moment you enter the game you can basically go anywhere and you won't find any level 20 goblin roadblocks. This design facet is crucial because of Antharion's open character development and skill system coupled with the total lack of monster scaling. Whether your party is super-powerful or not should make no difference because you as the player will have the option to select the area(s) of difficulty that you find appropriate and fun.

I'd venture to say that, for those of you who've partaken in other alphas, you'll likely find Antharion to be relatively finished, balanced, polished and un-buggy. I say this simply to reiterate the point that much of what we've been doing has been attending to the seemingly countless minute details that require attention when preparing something of Antharion's scale and scope for public release. A big part of our design philosophy is that details count. Sure any given little detail on it's own may not look like much, but when you throw it together with 1000 other little touches something magic happens, hopefully anyways! The point being that we're confident that all of our attention to detail will pay off in the form of a much more solid full-fledged well-balanced rpg.

On a side note, check out this very old-school looking rpg recently up on Steam Geenlight.

Anyone with outstanding backer rewards will be contacted in these coming weeks prior to the Alpha.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your continued patience and support and we look forward to working with those of you from our alpha/beta tiers very soon. Happy New Year!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Thanks for the update. It sounds sweet. A bit iffy on fast travel, but at least it has some limitations.

Everything else is awesome! Fuck I want to play this already. DrDungeon tell the dev to come by and say hello!

Baxander

Augur
I personally cannot WAIT to play this. I have been following development for some time, and I think it looks amazing. Looking forward to the release!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Being that we're on the verge of releasing the alpha (which should be out around the 31st of this month), it doesn't really make too much sense to do an update before then. Antharion has been frozen for a little while now so there just aren't any exciting new features or content additions to report on. We could do an update for the sake of doing an update but all we would have to talk about is the kind of minutiae that would put even the most technically inclined backer to sleep. I doubt many of you care to hear about an OpenAL .dll bug fixes or a vsync issue on older macs. Also, we've followed enough kickstarter projects to know that this one is far from "the worst" in terms of update frequency or substantiveness. Expect an official update very soon announcing the release of the alpha. And thanks again everyone for your continued patience and support!

Zombra

Patron
I found a 'final' list of skills. Are there 'final' lists of races and classes? With descriptions maybe?

I know there was an update with race descriptions, but that was over two years ago. I think Necrophil got removed and Wolfkin got added? Were more tweaks made? And what about classes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom